SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    WashPost: Therapy animals are everywhere. Proof that they help is not.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WashPost: Therapy animals are everywhere. Proof that they help is not. Login/Join 
posted
Every once in a while I agree with the ComPost. This is one of the rare occasions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.8d7b3e22c3f3

Therapy animals are everywhere. Proof that they help is not.

By Karin Brulliard July 2 at 2:22 PM

A therapy-animal trend grips the United States. The San Francisco airport now deploys a pig to calm frazzled travelers. Universities nationwide bring dogs (and a donkey) onto campus to soothe students during finals. Llamas comfort hospital patients, pooches provide succor at disaster sites and horses are used to treat sex addiction.

And that duck on a plane? It might be an emotional-support animal prescribed by a mental health professional.

The trend, which has accelerated hugely since its initial stirrings a few decades ago, is underpinned by a widespread belief that interaction with animals can reduce distress — whether it happens over brief caresses at the airport or in long-term relationships at home. Certainly, the groups offering up pets think this, as do some mental health professionals. But the popular embrace of pets as furry therapists is kindling growing discomfort among some researchers in the field, who say it has raced far ahead of scientific evidence.

Earlier this year in the Journal of Applied Developmental Science, an introduction to a series of articles on “animal-assisted intervention” said research into its efficacy “remains in its infancy.” A recent literature review by Molly Crossman, a Yale University doctoral candidate who recently wrapped up one study involving an 8-year-old dog named Pardner, cited a “murky body of evidence” that sometimes has shown positive short-term effects, often found no effect and occasionally identified higher rates of distress.

Overall, Crossman wrote, animals seem to be helpful in a “small-to-medium” way, but it’s unclear whether the critters deserve the credit or something else is at play.

“It’s a field that has been sort of carried forward by the convictions of practitioners” who have seen patients’ mental health improve after working with or adopting animals, said James Serpell, director of the Center for the Interaction of Animals and Society at the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine. “That kind of thing has almost driven the field, and the research is playing catch-up. In other words, people are recognizing that anecdote isn’t enough.”

Using animals in mental health settings is nothing new. In the 17th century, a Quaker-run retreat in England encouraged mentally ill patients to interact with animals on its grounds. Sigmund Freud often included one of his dogs in psychoanalysis sessions. Yet the subject did not become a research target until the American child psychologist Boris Levinson began writing in the 1960s about the positive effect his dog Jingles had on patients.

But the evidence to date is problematic, according to Crossman’s review and others before it. Most studies had small sample sizes, she wrote, and an “alarming number” did not control for other possible reasons for a changed stress level, such as interaction with the animal’s human handler. Studies also tend to generalize across animals, she noted: If participants are measurably soothed by one golden retriever, that doesn’t mean another dog — or another species — will evoke the same response.

Even so, media headlines are often about the happiness bounce. Hal Herzog, a Western Carolina University psychologist who has long studied human-animal interactions, recalls a 2015 study on the health benefits for children of having a pet dog. “Here’s a reason to get a puppy,” NBC announced. “Kids with pets have less anxiety.”

That’s actually not what the study concluded. The authors did find that children with dogs had lower anxiety based on screening scores than children without dogs. Still, they cautioned that “this study does not answer whether pet dogs have direct effects on children’s mental health or whether other factors associated with acquisition of a pet dog benefit their mental health.”

It was a classic case of conflating correlation and causation, which Herzog says is common. Cherry-picked positive results also are a problem, as he says happens in promotional materials from the Human-Animal Bond Research Initiative (HABRI). The pet-industry backed organization funds research on the topic.

“The number of papers I see that start out, ‘It is now well-established that there are health benefits from owning pets’ — that drives me crazy,” Herzog said. “Yes, there’s literature that supports that. But there’s also literature that doesn’t find that.”

HABRI Executive Director Steven Feldman takes a more positive view of the science while acknowledging that more research needs to be done. “Just like getting vegetables and getting exercise, I would say having animals in our lives is also an essential element of human wellness,” he said.

To many animal lovers and pet owners, the back-and-forth might sound horribly wonky. There’s something intuitive about the good feelings animals give us. Why over-analyze it?

Alan Beck does not disagree. Beck, who directs the Center of the Human-Animal Bond at Purdue University, cites one common theory for why animals might be therapeutic. It’s called the biophilia hypothesis, and it argues that humans evolved a built-in need to affiliate with other living beings.

“Throughout history, animals gave us some comfort. So if it works for you and me in a relatively normal environment, maybe it has a special role for someone who has a depression and stress disorder — that just makes sense,” he said. “The literature does show it’s not bad. And that’s just as important.”

Focusing too much on scientific support sometimes feels like a form of “physics envy,” Beck added, “where you try to quantify everything without appreciating it.”

But there are good reasons for rigorous research on animals and mental health. In 2012, the Department of Veterans Affairs said it would not cover costs of service dogs for veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder, citing “a lack of evidence to support a finding of mental health service dog efficacy.” The department is now in the midst of a multiyear study on the topic, which could lead to government funding for these pooches.

Another reason, the scientists say, is for the animals’ sake. Crossman pointed to a 2014 incident at Washington University in St. Louis as an example of animal therapy gone wrong. A bear cub brought to campus during finals week nipped some students, causing a rabies scare that almost ended with the animal being euthanized. More generally, Serpell said, the popular idea that pets make you happier “is not a harmless distortion. … If the public believes that getting an animal is going to be good for them, many times an unsuitable person will get an unsuitable animal, and it doesn’t work out well for either.”

The research is getting stronger, in part because funding is growing — from HABRI as well as from a public-private partnership between the National Institutes of Health and the Waltham Centre for Pet Nutrition. Crossman’s recent study at the Yale Innovative Interactions Lab was among the work being supported.

It relied not just on the Labrador retriever Pardner but seven other certified therapy dogs. Several times a month over much of the past year, they hung out at the university for 15-minute sessions with children who had just finished two stressful tasks: spontaneously crafting stories and telling them to strangers, followed by doing math problems.

The strangers were the researchers, and their mission was to assess whether the kids, ages 10 to 13, would find their time with the dogs to be therapeutic. The study was designed to avoid some of the pitfalls that Crossman has seen elsewhere, which is why some of the 78 young participants got to play only with a fuzzy blanket — because tactile stimulation is known to reduce stress — and why others simply waited for the 15 minutes.

“Without the controls, the changes could be due to all kinds of things, like the fact that lots of time has passed,” Crossman said. “Kids are actually pretty good at coping.”

The children completed questionnaires to assess their mood and anxiety before and after; spit samples, to measure the “stress hormone” cortisol, were taken at three points. At the end, all the kids got a “junior scientist” certificate, lots of praise and an open play session with the dogs.

Crossman, who emphasizes that she is an animal lover, declined to reveal the findings before they’re published. But “hopefully” they will show that dogs can affect children’s stress, she said — before quickly offering a researcher’s clarification.

“I say ‘hopefully’ not just because I think it works or hope it does, but because these programs are used so widely,” she explained. “Kids are already participating in this on a huge scale. Ideally, the order goes the other way around: We test the idea, and then we implement.”

Karin Brulliard is a national reporter who runs the Animalia blog. Previously, she was a foreign correspondent and a local reporter. Follow @karinbrulliard

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Interesting article and hardly the least bit surprising to me.

And although it’s about “therapy” animals, something it hardly touches on is how introducing animals into inappropriate settings can affect the unwilling participants in the whole process. It may reduce the animal owner’s stress, but does anyone worry about the annoyance and increased stress it causes others in the area? Clearly not, because I’ve never seen that issue discussed.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If research principles were followed in the treatment of patients, we would never have had the opiate epidemic or all the drugs on the market purporting to treat "chemical imbalances" which are in reality problems in living. There is no doubt that appropriately trained service dogs, not emotional support dogs have proven helpful with some veterans with PTSD. Americans like simple solutions like drugs and emotional support animals to the problems we all have in coping with everyday problems.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does seem to be getting ridiculous.

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
It does seem to be getting ridiculous.

Getting? It was ridiculous from the get go.

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
What would this "proof" look like?

How could you see it without observing each and every one both with and without, etc? How can you say, with any certainty, that - broadly - it's not helping them somehow? Maybe they're twice as fucked up without them?

I'm not sure it does, btw, but generally don't mind them, and think these are valid questions for which there is no simple answer.

I suspect we're stuck with them, and I mostly don't care. I can see an extreme situation getting under my skin, but I've never had it happen and generally love most folks dogs or at least am unbothered by them. I like dogs better than half the people, probably, anyway.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taking my dog through an airport and onto a plane would be stressful as Hell for both of us, as well as anyone around us who isn't easily entertained.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a therapy animal it's a beef, I always feel great after a nice ribeye, oh I guess I misunderstood the concept, SORRY!

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
It may reduce the animal owner’s stress, but does anyone worry about the annoyance and increased stress it causes others in the area? Clearly not, because I’ve never seen that issue discussed.

Of course, because the others in the area don't have victim status, so their pain is irrelevant.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there is therapy in animal companionship. I know there is in bona fide service animals. But as with anything that is seen as special, there will be posers who want to be special. Fake war heroes, fake law enforcement, fake professional credentials, fake, fake, fake..... Counterfeit always dilutes the value of authentic. Now we see 'therapy animals' everywhere which is a collision of Mexican bus and snowflake culture. Those of us on the outside shake our heads at how delicate our society has become that such a large subset of the population needs to feel special enough to bring a duck on the plane or let their untrained 'service' dog piss on the Home Depot floor for someone else to clean up.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I'm sure there is therapy in animal companionship. I know there is in bona fide service animals. But as with anything that is seen as special, there will be posers who want to be special.

I agree. They just want to be able to bring fifi on the plane with them.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Follow the link for the VA's position on PTSD Dogs. I don't know what the ultimate result will be of the research, but I have spoken to veterans who are suffering from PTSD who swear by them.

I spoke to one veteran in the waiting room of a medical clinic who told me he was planning to kill himself before he got his therapy dog. So some folks truly believe these dogs are working their magic on the psyche of PTSD victims.

Many veterans have been provided professionally trained therapy dogs through private funding. The last I heard was the cost is around $30,000 for a professionally trained dog. The key word here is professionally trained. These idiots taking their goat or turkey or lizard on airplanes calling them therapy animals is sheer nonsense. Part of the problem here is with certification of service animals. There is no central certification authority for service animals.
https://www.ptsd.va.gov/public...pe/dogs_and_ptsd.asp

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I'm a cat lover. Could you imagine if I chose to take it everywhere like the dog lovers do.
I hate being in a confined space with a dog.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
We see people bringing them into the ER when they check in. I have no problem at all with true service animals. Their roles are expanding to include things like warning for seizure and low glucose. The animals are well trained, well behaved and can even make my job as a nurse easier.

Companion animals on the other hand, complete and total pain in the ass. "He makes me feel calm." Really? That trembling fur covered sack of neurosis known as a chihuahua makes you feel calm? We used to have a hands off policy that we couldn't do anything about companion animals for fear of patient complaints and the possibility of someone claiming an EMTALA or ADA violation. Now after having so many issues, if it's not a true service animal, patients are asked to find other arrangements for the animal or leave.

I've also seen both sides of the PTSD issue. I've seen patients with a true service animal that has helped to keep them in check. I've also seen patients with their own pet they claim helps them with PTSD that really does nothing at all other than cause additional cleaning to the room after discharge.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I don't question the effectiveness of animals providing a calming effect on people but I have 2 issues that I call bullshit on.
-the person being diagnosed with a honest to god disorder such as PTSD. (And not some mail order bullshit diagnosis)
-the animal being properly trained to function appropriately as a service animal.

I also think that a certification program could be put in place without too much trouble. Pulling a card out of your wallet upon request shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do true service animals have any kind of paper work or what have you, so you can verify they are the real deal?
Husband drives for rideshare and is concerned about how to tell the real Service dogs.
Can he even ask to see proof?

-----------------
Silenced on the net, Just like Trump

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post