SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What if? (WWII related)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What if? (WWII related) Login/Join 
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
When that story happened(good read) Stigler was flying an ME109, not a 262.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Franz Stigler

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fuck Hitler, there was no "game changer" that "could have" won the war for Germany. Hitler was crazy, you cant win with crazy.

Non-crazy would have taken back the land lost after WW1 from Russia and been happy with that. And been a non-communist buffer between Russia and the West. But, as stated, he was crazy. All the U-boats, 262's, and V weapons would not have helped, just maybe prolonged the war.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
My theory is that Stalin was fixing to invade Germany. Hitler just moved first.

Nazism and Soviet communism (as were Hitler and Stalin) were mutually exclusive. War between the two was inevitable, IMO.

History is on your side. Stalin wouldmhave invaded Germany by mid 1943 if the Geramans hadn't attacked first.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
When that story happened(good read) Stigler was flying an ME109, not a 262.

Yes, that's true. I have a couple artists' renditions of the encounter. He was the bombadier, Andrews was his name. He was flying a 109 during this event, but survived to be a 262 pilot, and survived the war. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression about his plane at the time.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
My theory is that Stalin was fixing to invade Germany. Hitler just moved first.

Nazism and Soviet communism (as were Hitler and Stalin) were mutually exclusive. War between the two was inevitable, IMO.

History is on your side. Stalin wouldmhave invaded Germany by mid 1943 if the Geramans hadn't attacked first.

Yes, I believe there is documentation of a plan for invasion.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read a book written by a former intelligence officer in the Russian army who made a convincing argument that Stalin was planning to invade Germany and appear as a liberator of Europe when Hitler beat him to the punch.The author claims that Stalin, in order to gain sympathy and support from the Allies, acted as Germany's loyal ally who was completely shocked and surprised by Hitler's betrayal. Stalin had intelligence reports that Germany had plans to invade for months but he delayed his own invasion plans, in the hope that the fighting between Britain and Germany would be prolonged.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3523 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
There are a huge number of "What would have happened if Hitler had done/not done" X. My favorite is this.

What if on Dec 8th, 1941 Hitler double crossed the Japanese, and refused to declare war on the US. He could have issues a statement something like "We denoounce the barbarous acts of the dastardly Japanese, and wish our American friends the best of luck in defeating them" Roosevelt, who was DYING to get in war in Europe would have no choice but to put all thue US's efforts into fight the Japanese, and would have no pretext to joining the European war. England would not have been in position to invade the continent alone (even with commonwealth help.) Hitler could have probably strangled England at sea, or at least kept them isolated, and concentrated all it's land forces on the eastern front. Could the Soviets have beaten him without the western front? Maybe, but I'm skeptical.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post