SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What the heck is this?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What the heck is this? Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's a water bag. Stays "cool" through evaporation.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Are you sure cas? It looks like body armor for jousting. See that impression in top left corner.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
If it could be considered a bag - ie having a front and back and sealed on the edges, it might be a water bag, emergency water for radiators?

That is my guess. But would they have carried water bags for radiators?
coolant overflow bags were a thing.

Posts: 5756 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
My dad used to have one of those on the family truckster when we went on vacation. It's a water bag

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Within 30 minutes. Awesome.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my dad used to hang one of those canvas water bags on the front grill of his 53 Pontiac Chieftan when we drove from Oklahoma to Arizona. Hello Route 66, great memories of that route & times.

Evaporation kept the radiator cooler in the heat. I think his had a Conoco logo.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
Example here.

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14010 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
When I drove to San Diego the first time I saw barrels along the old highway going up the mountain from the desert with signs to take it easy, go slow, turn off unnecessary stuff. Apparently cars built before then were barely able to handle the heat drive up hill off the desert. These barrels had water, which you were warned not to drink, and some cars carried their own.

In my long ago youth, the flying red horse was one of the most prominent recognizable logos.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Man, some of us are frickin OLD! lol

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
These bags were common in the Southwest. Fill it, wet the bag and stick it on the front of the car. As the water evaporated, cooling air ran over the radiator.
Remember this as we’d just had AC put in the car and I kept overheating. Finally drove Only at night. Even then the bag only helped a little.
When I got back the shop manager asked me where I bought the car? Chicago. He explained that Eastern radiators were smaller. The AC unit had blocked the radiator and caused the overheating. As nobody had told me, the shop replaced the radiator.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
As explained in the video below, those bags were originally intended to cool drinking water, not water for radiators. I remember being told that when I was a kid many decades ago even though by then they weren’t commonly used. It’s hard for people today to imagine what life was like before the presence of gas stations and convenience stores with refrigerators full of every type of soft drink (and water now) every few miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQJPl4F7Wq0

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I dunno, at first I saw a screen sized american flag made of baseball bats.

Try this, Joe:

https://avatarhost.files.wordp.../2016/11/batflag.jpg

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I remember drinking cool water out of these on our trips to California. Once out of Blythe I was sharing a cool drink with my dad when we heard on the radio that Marilyn MOnroe had been found dead. yup, I am old.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
It is a water bag,I have one around here somewhere.
The thing is meant to hang on the front of early cars for extra water.
I used it in touring trips , hanging on the front bumper of a 1930 tudor ford .
You carried extra parts,coil,points air pump and tire patches.The fords came with tool kit .

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
An album cover from 1972?

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You used to see those tied to the grille/fender of Model T/A cars. Most often in places like Arizona and New Mexico. They were used to keep drinking water and to cool overheated radiators in the desert.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Took many a trips to Colorado and Wyoming from Okla. with one of those hanging on the front bumper in the 50's

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post