SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Microwave light exploded in my hand -- no damage done, but wth?!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microwave light exploded in my hand -- no damage done, but wth?! Login/Join 
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted
The light under the microwave that illuminates the range below went out earlier so I grabbed new one from the drawer to replace it with.

I unscrewed the old one and, while screwing in the new one, it exploded. With my fingers still around it. It was loud as fuck, flashed (looked like a little explosion), and shot glass everywhere.

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?! Scared the absolute shit out of me. Sounded like someone shot off .22.

Luckily I wasn't under there watching as I was doing it -- that could have really messed me up.

I'm at a loss here as to what would cause a little bulb to violently explode like that. Can someone explain this?

Here’s what’s left of the bulb:

^ Note the black residue along the top.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You're a capacitor

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shocking....in at least 2 ways. I've never seen that.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Were you sure that the switch that turns on the light was in the off position?

Also, always a good idea to ground both the frame of the device and the bulb prior to trying to insert it. Even a small discharge can be enough to cause this type of issue.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Oils on your hand. I did the same thing with a compact halogen bulb once.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
One idea comes to mind: if the light was powered, oil from your hand caused it to heat up faster in some spots than others. This is a pretty serious concern when messing with halogen bulbs, though the worry there is more that the oil stays on the bulb and then it 'splodes after you get everything reinstalled. (At least, I would hope the halogen bulbs are being worked on with them off. Those things get HOT.)

Also, a tweak in the wrong direction could theoretically cause a catastrophic failure because the glass was already under pressure from when it was formed. Look up videos of people breaking Prince Rupert's Drops with slow-motion cameras to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this. It's a good reminder for me to always wear safety goggles.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
Were you sure that the switch that turns on the light was in the off position?

Also, always a good idea to ground both the frame of the device and the bulb prior to trying to insert it. Even a small discharge can be enough to cause this type of issue.

I’m 99.9999% sure the switch was in the ‘ON’ position.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post