SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A tourniquet can save your life. GRAPHIC, NSFW, lots of blood
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A tourniquet can save your life. GRAPHIC, NSFW, lots of blood Login/Join 
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
…he didn’t have it already looped and ready to apply.

First thing I thought as well when I first saw this video a few months ago.

I keep tourniquets in my range bag, both cars, and the house, along with proper first aid kits.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Second true story.

Once upon a time a young man kicked in the window to a church. It was an old single pane plate glass window and when it broke a large section came down like a guillotine. The leg was still attached, but the wound was massive and the blood loss could not be controlled by pressure alone.

We applied an improvised tourniquet.

"Hey. That's serious business," says the young man's friend.

"Yes. Yes it is. We've got to stop that blood flow or he won't last until the ambulance gets here."

"But thats a tourniquet. He could lose his leg."

"Well, I suppose he could. Would you prefer that I take it off and you have a certainly dead friend with two legs?"

The young man made a complete recovery and had two perfectly functional legs when he stood trial for the burglary of the church.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Saving the life of the scumbag that just tried to kill him; a true hero.

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I keep 2 (rat and SWATT) along with a compression bandage in my vest in a pouch made for a pistol.

I can get to it one handed with either hand.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Okay, question, and remember there are no dumb questions: when I buy a tourniquet can I open and practice with it or is it a use once device?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
In fact, a quick review of online articles fails to discover reports of amputations in modern military settings that were solely due to the application of a tourniquet, as discussed here.

I know of a couple cases, but they were results of lack of communication while transferring care of the injured. The vast majority, as you say, are due to other circumstances.

quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
They shared that there are records of modern tourniquets being on for sixteen hours without *any* tissue damage.

I would be very curious to see those and the methods that they dealt with necrosis. Do you have access to them?

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6082 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Okay, question, and remember there are no dumb questions: when I buy a tourniquet can I open and practice with it or is it a use once device?

It depends on which one, but if you buy a CAT tourniquet, buy two: One to practice with and one for real world. They should not be reused.

-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6082 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
search for training tourniquets.

CAT trainer

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oregon:
quote:

It depends on which one, but if you buy a CAT tourniquet, buy two: One to practice with and one for real world. They should not be reused.

I practice with one all the time and it is very solid. Would not be afraid to reuse the CAT I practice with. I have one in every vehicle, first aid kit, get home bag and range bag. It is a must have.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
quote:
quote:

I practice with one all the time and it is very solid. Would not be afraid to reuse the CAT I practice with. I have one in every vehicle, first aid kit, get home bag and range bag. It is a must have.

A word to the wise, but I wouldn't do that. That's not what they were designed for and there's a reason beyond marketing that they offer a practice model. I have broken windlasses and popped stitching and other plastic pieces on some of the latest iterations while practicing and so have many other people. Don't trust your life or someone else's to something that is designed for one use only.

-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
For those that are not aware, there are only two approved tourniquets by the Committee on Tactical Combat Casualty Care.

This was mentioned at the Dark Angel class. The instructor elaborated that this is *NOT* because other TQs have been evaluated and failed. Rather, it is because the CTCCC has decided not to evaluate any more TQs.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:

In the class I took, we all used practice tourniquets. It took several turns of the windlass to have them be effective. Ross explained that the inner band (which the windlass tightens) stretches with repeated use and a new TQ properly applied would take much less turns with the windlass to be effective. This seemed like reason enough for me, but the failures that Oregon mentions are even better reasons.

To me, they are not expensive enough to take a chance. All the kits (range bag, cars, my every day wear AFAK) contain unused black TQs. We bought one orange TQ that both the wife and I use to practice. Given the piece of mind, the incremental cost seems like a bargain.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Some things I have learned this year. I have placed three tq's on gun shoot victims this year. The first was a gangster druggie who managed to get himself shot up on after a bad drug deal. He was gut shot 4 times and once in the arm which was bleeding badly. In many cases gloves are almost useless. The victim had been holding his wounds and had blood all over his hands. When I arrived he was panicked and grabbed me smearing blood all over my arms and face. Wounds, specifically gunshot wounds, spurt and spray blood and gloves aint gonna help that much. You are going to get bloody. Skin is pretty good protection but I was worried about the spurting blood and getting it in my eyes. I know carry eye protection with my tq bag.

My second tq was applied on another gangster a couple of months back who had managed to shoot himself with a 12 gauge while taking his gangster badass facebook photo Roll Eyes . The slug entered above his right knee breaking his femur and exiting below his calf. Being a gangsta and heavy set naturally he was sagging his pants. Victim was in a small space and the only way to work on him was to kneel on his blood soaked floor. He smeared blood all over us too. We applied the tq(R.A.T) but because his pants was so low couldn't get the tq far enough above the wound. R.A.T.s are quick but a real bitch to grip when bloody. we had to carefully use our knives to cut his pants but it took precious time. I have added trauma shears to the med kit. much easier to use
shears and zero worries about causing the patient more harm.

The third victim was a three year old who was shot by a couple of drunk army guys playing with a newly purchased firearm at a party. The round hit the child in his left bicep and traveled down through his elbow where it exitted and struck his father in the knee. The army guys applied a makeshift tq and when we arrived it had slowed the bleeding. It was dark and the black TQ was a bitch to apply in the dark even with the help of several leo flashlights. If you get shot you will likely be in shock. Shook can narrows your vision and in an already dark environment fumbling around with a black tq is going to be problematic. My Tq's are now all neon orange. one of the other problems with the R.A.T. tq is it has a metal clasp that is around two inches long. It was wider than the child's arm so the metal digs into the flesh and we had to take many more wraps around the child's broken arm. Swat T is my tq for kids.

Prepare yourself for the fact that if you are putting the tq on correctly you will be causing pain to the victim. Broken bones and the pinching of a tightening tq can get resistance from the patient. It still bothers me to think about having to take extra wraps around that child's arm and having to move his broken and limp hand to do it.

If you have a TQ then I assume you are planning on using it. You should plan to clean up after. Have hand clean, one wipes, some kind of cleaner and lots of them.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
As far as carrying a tourniquet on one’s boot, I haven’t tried to research it myself, but does anyone know how that’s usually done? Are there special carriers for the purpose?
There are some special setups IFAK and/or tourniquet carry, or some folks just use things like the old Galco Ankle Safe.

Here are some of the options:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

When in our tactical gear for an op, I keep a tourniquet on my battle belt. I want the tourniquet on my waist, easily accessible to both hands, in case I need to apply to myself. Prior using a battle belt, I kept it on the right side shoulder strap of my body armor, since I shoot long guns lefty.

Here is the "holster" I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used to use one from NAR, but the one above allows me to have trauma shears easily accessible also.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Warms my heart to read how prepared you guys are. I wrote the first IFAK lesson plan in my state a few years ago, the state re-wrote it and made it mandatory for everyone to take, but getting equipment is still optional for departments. Most officers in the state still only have equipment beyond a tourniquet if they buy it on their own.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I'm no longer a first responder but I do carry a first aid kit in my truck and know how to use it. I've been considering adding a trauma kit, and this video certainly reinforces my decision. I'm ordering one this week, and adding a couple of tourniquets for places like my range bag and the house FAK.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Never use the tourniquet you practice with in real life unless last resort. You stress them with the practice, and in most cases, a tourniquet is used ONCE. Practice ones are for using over and over again

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://qconline.com/news/local...9a-bf22effee8cd.html

and

http://www.kwqc.com/content/ne...-them-457327763.html

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I keep one in my range bag and the glove box of my personal car.

At work I have it on my duty belt between my radio and spare mag carrier #2 for access by either hand. Only three of us at work carry it. No one else wants to spend the money.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

A word to the wise, but I wouldn't do that. That's not what they were designed for and there's a reason beyond marketing that they offer a practice model. I have broken windlasses and popped stitching and other plastic pieces on some of the latest iterations while practicing and so have many other people. Don't trust your life or someone else's to something that is designed for one use only.

That does make sense. Think I will designate one for practice and brand new in my kits. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5906 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post