SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A tourniquet can save your life. GRAPHIC, NSFW, lots of blood
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A tourniquet can save your life. GRAPHIC, NSFW, lots of blood Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I'm not saying that this shitbag needed to be stopped from bleeding out, but watch where the officer keeps his tourniquet, and watch the difficulty he has applying it. Real world, gentlemen. Without a tourniquet, this crook would have been dead in under two minutes.

A tourniquet can save your life.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Blood is as slippery as hydraulic fluid or glycol.

It is tough to deal with once your hands are coated by it.

Did the bleeder live or was that too much blood loss?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
He survived

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming that was a femoral artery hit?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'm wondering how many time he was hit. The cop emptied a magazine.

That is a great way to carry a tourniquet.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
No gloves?

I'm guessing time was an issue?

Not at all sure I'd want to be working in that situation without gloves.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Considering everything officers are carrying on their belts and in their pockets, strapping one to the boot has become very common.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks that way.....they can really unload a lot of blood when opened up, along with increased BP and pulse!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
He survived

Homes should thank that officer for saving his life.

That's at easily a unit and a half of blood on the ground.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder. I need to get mine out and practice again...

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
He survived

That's amazing considering that huge amount of blood on the ground like that.

We were trained in the Army before the advent of these carry-able tourniquets that a piece of rope, a shoelace even, or a belt can all be used as one. You'd have to use a stick or something else like that to crank it down tight enough.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Man, that was intense. Reason #721 I could never be a cop, having to deal with those shit bags. Mad Sir, I'm dying, I'm dying...

When I took hunters ed, they told us if you choose to use a tourniquet, it is most likely going to happen that that person will lose the limb. Think before you use it. From a hunting perspective, chances are you will be out in the woods and miles from anyone.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Damn that was a lot of blood. Great way to carry a tourniquet.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
those hollowpoints definitely worked

should have put his nitrile gloves on first. i hope that dirtbag didn't have TB / hepatitis / hiv / etc

that cop deserves a medal

------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
News report for background.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/...-in-north-las-vegas/

It's nice to have the backstory along with the video. The scum had it coming. I couldn't figure out what happened to the woman's wrist until I saw the story. Very professional work by the officers!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Great reminder Para. I have CAT's in my shooting bags, hunting pack, and car.
My sons both shoot and I gave them CAT's for xmas to put in their packs.

You just never know.

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
When the cops give you an order... listen and obey!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
Intense. The amount of blood pooling under his leg was shocking. You hear how fast you can bleed out but man, that really drives it home.

JC

Posts: 1267 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Regarding tourniquets, they were very thoroughly discussed in a first responder (i.e., LE) aid class I attended a couple of years ago. The instructor, who was the head of the trauma department of a major Denver hospital, made several points.

It’s only been in relatively recent times that truly effective tourniquets have been developed, and they all use some sort of windlass tightening system. He quoted a report from the Civil War that originally pointed out that the buckle type tourniquets used through the Viet Nam War (and perhaps later) were essentially worthless. He also had quite a bit to say and demonstrate with graphic photos of war casualties about improvised methods. One in particular showed how ineffective one made of a thin piece of cord (shoelace, possibly) had been. If one must be improvised, a broader strap is necessary. C.A.T.s are 1 1/2 inches wide for a reason.

He also addressed the myths associated with tourniquets. I clearly remember being told in high school (50+ years ago) that they should be loosened periodically. That has been thoroughly discredited for a long time, but what is still believed is that they pose a great danger of limb damage. In the first place, of course, what’s better: limb muscle damage or death? A true “duh” question, but one that still gets people befuddled. To the point, though, he said that they can be left in place for hours as has happened in military situations without causing serious problems.

As far as carrying a tourniquet on one’s boot, I haven’t tried to research it myself, but does anyone know how that’s usually done? Are there special carriers for the purpose?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post