SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's the secret to perfect fried chicken?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the secret to perfect fried chicken? Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Cast iron skillet and lard.

my grandmothers did it this way,

if lard was not available, then and only then vegetable oil was used,

buttermilk overnight, room temp, bread, milk, bread again and fry,

not a lot of oil in the skillet (with glass cover) or later she used an electric frying pan ,

of course back then, a typical store bought yardbird was 3lbs dressed, vs the roasters in the stores now,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I use and prefer the buttermilk and cast iron method. Alton Brown shows and explains it in one of the Good Eats episodes. That's basically what I do.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
My wife knows and she's not talking.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Okay. Here’s what I’ll change for next time:
-smaller chicken pieces
-350 degree target, longer fry time
-ditch the bisquick and use flour only ,maybe add some bread crumbs
-let the chicken sit at room temp for 30 minutes
-use a skillet instead of the Dutch oven

I’ll give it a shot!

Thanks,

Tony.

Panko bread crumbs if you want crispy!!!!

Self rising flour if you want thick and fluffy (think fish sticks from a good restaurant).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Piece size ?? For the best fried chicken you must use a pressure cooker! Less cook time juicy fried chicken, if cooking in regular ole fashion ways 325-350 temp, cool not cold chicken deep fried. When the batter begins to turn golden fry a little bit more and hen slap your mamma good chit!!!
Egg/milk dip seasoned then flour.

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Lard
Salt n pepper
Cast iron pan
Some beer or likker or wine

Follow alton’s or Paula’s

But don’t forget about Julia Child and give the cook some wine ...more salt ....

If the top falls off of the salt shaker, remember- you can slice a potato and chuck it in the lard and it will absorb the salt...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Try dropping the oil temperature to 325.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post

There's the secret! Well, Crisco and a big-ass cast iron pan that is.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I use and prefer the buttermilk and cast iron method. Alton Brown shows and explains it in one of the Good Eats episodes. That's basically what I do.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?..._channel=FoodNetwork

I did the sous vide method with the last batch of wings, then a hour on the smoker at 250 to add some smoke flavor, then into the air fryer for 10 minutes at 390 to crisp up the skin.

Imagine the SV method would help since you've cooked the internal up to temp, the rest is just frying the outside...

Posts: 23436 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
agree with others
LARD and cast iron skillet, makes all the difference

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2012 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Pan fry it in a cast iron skillet. Don't deep fry.

This is what my grandmother taught me.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I'm the first in my family to attempt to make fried chicken. My dad was born in Mexico and my mom was from Texas with mexican parents. Grandma and mom made tortillas from scratch.

I can cook a mean chorizo and egg burrito with nopales though! And don't get me started on chicken mole.

I'm the one in the family that decided to expand my culinary horizons. I'll try Crisco too. Thanks again for all the tips!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My mom used Crisco and a cast iron skillet. Chicken was just rolled in flour first. Was great stuff!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I'm the first in my family to attempt to make fried chicken. My dad was born in Mexico and my mom was from Texas with mexican parents. Grandma and mom made tortillas from scratch.

I can cook a mean chorizo and egg burrito with nopales though! And don't get me started on chicken mole.

I'm the one in the family that decided to expand my culinary horizons. I'll try Crisco too. Thanks again for all the tips!

Tony.

Whoa, whoa- hang on... this is starting to sound like a trade Wink. Tell us more about the mole..

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post