SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's the secret to perfect fried chicken?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the secret to perfect fried chicken? Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I've nearly got it down. Today I soaked drumsticks and thighs (both with the bone still in) in buttermilk with paprika, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper for 2 hours. I used Bisquick pancake mix as the dough with some salt and pepper.

I used a cast-iron dutch oven and vegetable oil heated to 375˚. I used a candy thermometer to monitor the temp. I can't for the life of me get the crust to finish at the same time as the internal meat. The crust came out perfect, but the core was only 130˚ internal temperature. I had to finish baking in the oven at 425˚ for about another 30 minutes to an internal temp of 170˚.

The finished product was great, but I can't figure out how to do large pieces of chicken without finishing with an oven-bake.

What am I missing?

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you can Sous Vide the chicken before frying it.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Are you putting it in cold or room temperature?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I'd say the pieces were probably 50˚ by the time I was finished coating them with Bisquick. I put in three large pieces at a time and the first pieces brought the oil temp down to 300˚ pretty quick. I cranked up the heat a little on the second and third batches. I'd say the last pieces were probably at room temperature, but the first ones were refrigerator cold.

Maybe I used too much oil? I didn't really have to flip the pieces. hardly any of each piece was out of the oil.

Tony.

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Mother.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Less heat and longer time, try 350f.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/0X2I4eZimTw

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Bring them out of frig and let them sit for at least 1/2 hr at room temp after thawing. Don’t do more than 3/time as it definitely drops the oil temp.
I don’t know if I let the oil temp get that high, maybe 350? Just enough that when you toss a tiny bit in there it starts to spatter and hiss. I always flip them, to make sure both sides are evenly heated.

My experience has been good, but I’m also not trying to do large pieces- just bun size, and evenly sized, not unequal size pieces.

Sounds like they came out great, regardless!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
The sous vide idea is interesting. Try using straight corn meal, instead of bisquick/adding cornmeal.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Corn Starch makes a nice crunchy crisp texture to the batter.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I would say less heat and more time at room temperature.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Cast iron skillet and lard.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The chicken has to start out dry. Before you dip it in buttermilk.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
There's no such thing as too much oil. In a deep fryer the chicken is totally submerged. You have the temperature too high. It should be at 350°. Also, I've never fried chicken with pancake mix, but the sugar in the mix could be causing it to darken too quickly.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
Also, I've never fried chicken with pancake mix, but the sugar in the mix could be causing it to darken too quickly.

I'm not good at fried chicken, but that was my first thought as well. Anytime you're cooking meat, excess sugar can be troublesome since the sugar on the outside tends to cook too fast or burn before the inner meat is ready.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Pan fry it in a cast iron skillet. Don't deep fry.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:
Mother.

Gran'ma kablammo

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, 86 the pancake mix. Self rising flour mixed half/half with normal flour will give you a thicker fluffier crust.....even fluffier do all self rising flour which is what a lot of people use on seafood like beer battered for thick breading.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Pan fry it in a cast iron skillet. Don't deep fry.

This.

Pan frying is best. Maintain the oil about halfway up from your chicken pieces, at probably around 375. You'll have to add small amounts along the way to keep it there. And last but most important, cover the skillet after turning. It needs to be a decent seal. Not perfect but not loose either. You have to leave it on as much as you can and avoid checking too much. Use the previous sides' cooking time as a guide. Covered is where it cooks through, and it also makes it more tender and juicy.

If you want deep fried, probably best to just go order from a restaurant. They're better equipped for it.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7250 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Okay. Here’s what I’ll change for next time:
-smaller chicken pieces
-350 degree target, longer fry time
-ditch the bisquick and use flour only ,maybe add some bread crumbs
-let the chicken sit at room temp for 30 minutes
-use a skillet instead of the Dutch oven

I’ll give it a shot!

Thanks,

Tony.