SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you and you spouse spend Thanksgiving/Christmas away from each other?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you and you spouse spend Thanksgiving/Christmas away from each other? Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Typically for Thanksgiving I go to my parents and hang with aunts/uncles etc with whom I rarely get to see. My wife goes to her parents and does the same.(she usually takes the boys with her).

She knows I really don’t care for her overall liberal family, and I know that they tolerate me only because of Jen. (Boy do I miss her dad, he was the lone sane one of the bunch).

Thanksgiving is pretty much a given now. Christmas is slightly more complicated but we are pretty good about alternating back/forth on when it comes to spending time with each other’s parents around Christmas.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Used to do it at grandpa's house. He's getting old and has passed the torch to his wife's daughter. I go every 2-3 years. Not the same as going to grandpa's. Her family is nice, just don't feel comfortable making myself at home. We also have done it at my house and in Boston with wife's family.

So we have no real routine.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
In the 28 years my wife and I have been married I think we missed one Christmas day. It was back in 2000.
I had started a new job and had to work that day.
Back in the 90s I missed one Christmas morning. My fire department was dispatched mutual aid to a working structure fire in the next town over from ours.
Thanksgiving we missed a lot because my work days always included Thursdays. She would go to a friends house and bring food home for me when I was done working.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
We spend both holidays together, but the day after Christmas my wife goes to Georgia for a week. I chose to stay home and get some things done. I'm in Georgia now, she comes down 4 times a year, I come down twice a year.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Not normally. We usually host thanksgiving here in FL but the last 2 years we spent christmas apart.

Our son is stationed in VA and my work schedule did not alliw me to go up there for christmas. It is more important to both of us to spend what time we can with our son's family (read grandkids) then to miss out just because the other one can't make it.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
My job, compounded with my kids living with my ex wife, plus both my wife’s and my own families being scattered to hell and breakfast...holidays are more challenging then I’d like.

Currently scheduled to work 12 days straight around thanksgiving and two days off in the 11 surrounding Christmas...neither of them being Christmas Day...with no clue what’s going to happen.

I’d rather have the time with my family. And I love my in-laws, so them too. In fact, this year my wife will be leaving the week of thanksgiving to go to her parents’ house at the beach, while I’ll be left to work, with no time to see any of my family as it’s scheduled right now.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you and you spouse spend Thanksgiving/Christmas away from each other?

No

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we first got married we started spending Thanksgiving day with my parents this year and Christmas day with hers then the other way the next. Worked for years. No problems... no discussions. Everybody knew in advance what to expect and plans were made accordingly.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 724 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Only time wife and I have been separated on Thanksgiving and Christmas was when I was on advisory duty in Iran, back in 1961.

When we were stationed in Germany we spent both holidays with the in-laws. Both our parents are long dead and we have a very small family circle. Daughter and son in law, two grandsons, one of whom is married with 2 kids. We have virtually no contact with is wife or kids. She does not want it, and they are 5-6 hours away by car. Daughter and son in law are 5 hours away.

Last year we stayed here at home for both holidays, probably do the same this year. My brother and his family are 3K miles to the northwest.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I was a cop, I spent too many holidays and special days away from my family due to my job.....no more...I have the time now to spend time with them and enjoy the days regardless if I'm at my liberal sister-in-laws houses (both of them are liberal, and their husbands too), or at my family's disfunctional home! :P drinking beer, my dad pissing outside cause he can, teaching my kid bad things, shooting guns, driving tractors...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Frequently. The airlines know no holidays, and the seniority rollercoaster has been a wild one in the 12 years we've been married.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
We have a few times, early on, when the wifes mother was still living I'd be sure to fly her back to her home so she'd get family time.

But the holidays are at our house now, people come here, pretty soon we'll pass that on to the kids now that they have homes.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
Thanksgiving.... Unless she comes to deer camp, the answer is obvious. Christmas has gotten almost too big with all the extended family but I wouldn't miss the grandkids at Christmas for anything. That means I have to spend it with the wife too.

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
We used to. Then we saw the silliness of being apart to appease our parents.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
Always spend those holidays together.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3811 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
for ten years now yes,

BUT we are spending this thanksgiving together
at my family reunion .
for the first time

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Only when required for military duties (deployed 3x from Sept to spring, missing all the big holidays).

Then again we only travel tosee my left leaning family once every 5-10 years.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
not really,

sometimes the wife will head to her mothers for the holiday, but usually we still see each other that morning, or if she goes early, I will drive down , or she will return early that day,

depending,

and that applies to both holidays,

this year she will go to her mom's and I will likely stay here for work (will she her in the morning) thanksgiving,

we started an every other year thing for Christmas,
one year we (usually travel together even if just for a day) we go to her mom's and the next we stay home (bourbon w/ a big English breakfast with friends)

this year is the stay home year

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Not normally, but that may change.....

My older sister (childless) has been inviting herself to spend Thanksgiving at our house for the last several years. Drives my wife batty with her hours of poor, poor me tales about our family and her late husband's family and how none of her relations care a whit about her. Wife has threatened to fly to California to spend Thanksgiving with her sister if I play golf Friday.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turkey Day together with my family but only because we live near my mom. Neither one of us finds travelling just for turkey all that appealing.

We spend Xmas apart save the year we got married and the year her dad died when I went to her parents house. She goes down the coast to see her mom and sisters and I stay home with my family. I'd be ok alternating but she doesn't want to so no big deal.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post