SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gas Lawn Mower Shopping Advice
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas Lawn Mower Shopping Advice Login/Join 
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
Most Briggs engines are made in USA and most Honda engines are now made in China if that matters to you.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:
Most Briggs engines are made in USA and most Honda engines are now made in China if that matters to you.

Honda engines sold here are made in the US, Japan or Thailand. https://engines.honda.com/oem-...ufacturing-locations

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about the Honda with the Nexite deck ?

Posts: 1400 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of J387
posted Hide Post
I still use my 12 year old craftsman with a 6.5 Briggs every week. Just a plain old push mower that starts on the first or second pull. The mower deck is rusting out though despite being garage kept but it still has some life left in it.

The only recommendation I can make is to get one with magnesium/aluminum deck. That should give it a fighting chance of lasting a couple of decades.

Even the Losers Get Lucky Sometimes

Posts: 406 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I have a honda engine on my pressure washer and briggs and stratton engines on my lawwn mower and generator and I would highly recommend both of them.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3848 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
I have a honda engine on my pressure washer and briggs and stratton engines on my lawwn mower and generator and I would highly recommend both of them.

I've had extremely bad luck with B&S stuff. Two Craftsman mowers that died in under 5 years. Why I bought the exact same model the second time, I don't know? Had an ATS for a B&S generator catch fire, at the owner of the company that I worked for just a few months after I installed it.

No B&S for me please. I do love my Honda mower though.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20805 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Craigslist search for Toro Super Recycler (not the cheaper, regular Toro recycler). Best mower you can find at any price. I’ve owned/sold at least 50 of them. I bought them used for $5 to $125 and flipped them for profit after washing them and tuning them up.

Way better than any Honda or Husquvarna or big box store mower. These are honest to god 30 year mowers, so an 8 year old used Super Recycler at $100 still has 20 plus years of life on it and STILL will outlast a big box store mower by a factor of 2 to 1.

I can’t stress enough how good these mowers are compared to everything else out there.

Knowing what I know now I would never ever buy a new $300 mower again. Why pay more for an inferior mower?

This is exactly what I was going to post.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10 years ago my wife found a toro recycler at a garage sale for $50. I've used it ever since. It's never failed to start within 3 pulls and usually in one and all I've ever done is change the sparkplug. I'd definitely buy one again.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3522 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
I'm in the market as well so this is a timely thread for me.

However, I have to say the el cheapo Yard Machines mower I currently have has started reliably in one or two pulls for over 15 years now. Briggs & Stratton btw.

Its self propelled feature broke at the handle end years ago, and the wheels are wobbly, but the bugger starts so I'll probably keep it as back up when I get a new mower.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Is it true that big box stores like Lowe's and HD get more cheaply made models of lawnmowers made just for them than are sold elsewhere?

Like with how TV's are made just for Best Buy or Costco?

Like say Lowe's Craftsman Model ABC1 is made with a lot more plastic parts and cheaper/more flimsy than a Craftsman Model ABC available at Sears or some other place?

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Just picked up the Husqvarna LC221AH at Lowes. Got $70 off because it was an 'extra floor model' and then got my 10% military discount! Woot!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Looking at two very similar ones, really the only difference is that one has a 140cc B&S engine and the other has a 160cc Honda engine.

My yard is really 4 sections; front, side, main rear and upper rear and about 3,000 sq feet total.

Is a 160cc better than a 140cc?

I want to mulch grass, not interested in bagging or side discharging. Would the 160cc be better for that?

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honda 21 in. 3-in-1 Variable Speed Gas Walk Behind Self Propelled Lawn Mower with Auto Choke at Home Depot on sale for $379 this week.

Model HRR216VKA
Store SKU 404997

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Dude. Listen. Take a chance. Trust me.

I dont know what part of PA you find yourself in...

https://harrisburg.craigslist....lled/6874642376.html

https://baltimore.craigslist.o...lawn/6860364775.html

https://lancaster.craigslist.o...cler/6840249014.html

The listed prices above are a little high for this area, I would offer 60-70% of what they are asking.

This mower here... this is the OLD style Toro recycler. VERY heavy duty, aluminum deck, super durable 3 speed transmission (when is the last time you saw a push mower with a 3 speed transmission?). To buy a mower of this quality today would cost $1100 to $1300. And thats not a misprint. Used, they want $75. Even if you put a brand new engine on it ($120) and rebuilt the drive and small components ($50), you would have an honest to god $1300 mower, for under $300.

https://reading.craigslist.org...er-2/6850957324.html

Find something like this, take a chance on it, and STOP buying big box store mowers!! Its $75. Try it for a few weeks, if you hate it or its a piece of junk, throw it back on Craiglist for $100 and get your money back. Win win.

Whats good about these Super Recylers is that they are fully rebuildable. If something wears out, the parts are readily available, and easy to change. If you are handy and have a few tools in your garage, you can literally keep one of these things running for 50 years or longer. Pass it on to the grand kids, it will still be running. These are not throw away big box mowers that disintegrate after 5 years.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or just contract it out. I do not miss cutting my lawn. Sold my Toro super recyclers for a good price to the guys who painted the exterior of my home. Yeah, contracted that out as well. Sometimes you get to a point in life where you value your time more than money.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
The Hondas have a dual blade system with a high rolled deck so it rolls the grass clippings over onto the blades so it does a really good job mulching it.

Not sure if the other brands that use the Honda motor use this set up.

We've had our for 9 years now and have had zero issues with it.

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will vouch for the 3 speed transmission Bubbatime was talking about. I have it on my LawnBoy and love it. If you want to mix oil and gas I was going to recommend a 2 stroke LawnBoy, used of course. If not, take a look at those Toro's that he linked to. In essence, the same mower only a different motor.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I have a Craftsman in my garage, I can't wait until it dies. I bought it because I could easily get replacement parts: blade, air filter, drive wheels, etc. It even came with a card listing each part number. Then Sears changed all the parts numbers, then Sears went bye bye. I can still get parts online but it's a PITA. Next time a Husky or a Honda from a place where I can get parts to fix it.

It would also be nice to have a motor with a drain plug, Turning the mower upside down to drain the oil sucks. Yeah, I know, first world problems but I live in the first world.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had been a die hard Toro fan but several years ago bought a Honda, and am so glad I did. I ordered it from Jack’s Small Engines. Great price, nice folks, and have ordered several things from them. It came in a big box, minimal assembly, and ready to mow - mulch or cut, and it came with a bag. I finally quit using ethanol fuel, too. After fighting with carb issues on all my small engines for years, I now make an almost two hour round trip to get non ethanol fuel. Hard to find it around here. I fill up half a dozen gerry cans for the season. Also I keep a stock of VP fuel in case I run out of gasoline. So far the riding mower, walk behind mower, and string trimmer have had absolutely NO ethanol in them, and all have been running 3-5 seasons with no issues whatsoever. I learned my lesson on crap fuel.

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I finally quit using ethanol fuel, too.

Same here. I also have to travel for it. It's illegal to sell no-ethanol in the St. Louis metro area. But every time I go to the Lake (mid-Mo) I fill a can or two with 93 octane no-ethanol fuel. I then add an ounce/gallon of Sea-foam.

PASig, lot's of good advice here. Different opinions of course, but all good.
Let us know what you do. Cool

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24050 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post