SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gas Lawn Mower Shopping Advice
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas Lawn Mower Shopping Advice Login/Join 
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Craigslist search for Toro Super Recycler (not the cheaper, regular Toro recycler). Best mower you can find at any price. I’ve owned/sold at least 50 of them. I bought them used for $5 to $125 and flipped them for profit after washing them and tuning them up.

Way better than any Honda or Husquvarna or big box store mower. These are honest to god 30 year mowers, so an 8 year old used Super Recycler at $100 still has 20 plus years of life on it and STILL will outlast a big box store mower by a factor of 2 to 1.

I can’t stress enough how good these mowers are compared to everything else out there.

Knowing what I know now I would never ever buy a new $300 mower again. Why pay more for an inferior mower?

Since Oregon puts crap in their fuel, gas mowers and pressure washers are a royal pain to use. It gums up the system. I had a real old hand-me-down pressure washer with a B&S motor on it that lasted 10 years without ever having to do anything but put gas in it and prime the system.

I gave it away and bought a Troy-Built Ever-start(?) and it lasted two seasons before I got frustrated with it and kicked it down the driveway. I just moved into a new house and we just landscaped the backyard last year. My neighbor didn't need his mower anymore so he gave me his and it took me a couple of hours to tear it apart, clean the carb, and get it running.

This year, I had to clean it out again and it had jelly in the carb. I cleaned it out and got it running. One week later. Won't start. I'm done with modern mowers. The old stuff was the way to go. The new stuff is CRAP!

I gave up on gas-anything here and have gone strictly electric. The modern day gas stuff is CRAP! I never had problems with old Snappers OR B&S's, but that was in a different state that doesn't put junk in their gas.

We just got a 16" Ryobi corded mower. Plug it in and go! Next payday I'm getting an electric pressure washer.

(rant off...)

The problem isn’t the equipment, it’s the fuel. That’s why I only use 100% gasoline. All of the owners manuals and gas caps on my equipment even say to use no ethanol at all.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I don't know if his state puts ethanol in their gas which is why I share my headache. I don't even know where to get 100% gas around here or if its even possible.

Just something for him to consider before he buys a new mower and possibly kicks it down the driveway or takes a 10# sledge to it in a year or two like I did with my pressure washer.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I'd go Honda or Snapper.

quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
My wife insisted that we buy a reel-type push mower and said she would cut the lawn. She didn’t and I hated that mower.

Newsflach TMats - your wife either hates you or is trying to kill you. Or both.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Wife thinks he is fat.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I don't know if his state puts ethanol in their gas which is why I share my headache. I don't even know where to get 100% gas around here or if its even possible.

There's an app for that! Go search for Puregas in the app store for your phone.

You can also go to their website:
https://www.pure-gas.org/

Here's a map for stations in Oregon:
https://www.pure-gas.org/exten...map.jsp?statecode=OR

It's a lifesaver for small engines.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
My Dad bought a 21" Honda commercial in 1980 or so.

It has sat in the barn now since probably last September. Today I intend to cut/bag the front lawn. I'll add some fresh gas and like clockwork, it will start on the 2nd pull.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I too asked this question last summer when we moved.

The hive recommended Honda

several recommended the self propelled

I also recommend the Honda, after using it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Honda.[/QUOTE

Only engine you should consider, a true workhorse!

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
Buy a Honda, add gas, mow.

This. Find whichever Honda HR-series mower fits your budget and desired features. Add non-ethanol gas (preferably, if available). Mow.

Every year or so, change the oil, blades, spark plug, and air filter. You can get all that in a kit for ~$40. So two Jacksons and 20 minutes for a spring tune-up.

Do that, and your Honda will run damn near forever.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have always been a Toro guy, but have heard lots of good things about Honda.

Posts: 5619 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
My Honda is now into its 22nd mowing season. The self-propelled part quit working some years ago, two wheels have been replaced, and the housing has some home repairs, but the engine still runs quite well (with annual oil changes and spark plug replacements).

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Minnow:
Find your local Husqvarna dealer and take a look at the HU700F model. Honda engine, self propelled, 22” cut. $349 MSRP.

There is a reason you see a lot of these on the landscapers trailers. They are made to last.

I have one of these...4 years now, add gas...mow....repeat in 2 weeks.

after winter it takes 3-4 pulls to start right up.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarTraveler:
My Honda is now into its 22nd mowing season. The self-propelled part quit working some years ago, two wheels have been replaced, and the housing has some home repairs, but the engine still runs quite well (with annual oil changes and spark plug replacements).

My Honda is on its 11th year. The self-propelled mechanism is still going strong, but the rubber on the wheels is starting to wear thin. I'll likely be replacing those in another year or so.

Engine still purrs along like its first day. Always starts on the first pull, unless it's been sitting all winter, in which case it sometimes takes two. Wink

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I'd go Honda or Snapper.

quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
My wife insisted that we buy a reel-type push mower and said she would cut the lawn. She didn’t and I hated that mower.

Newsflach TMats - your wife either hates you or is trying to kill you. Or both.

quote:
originally posted by bubbatime:
Wife thinks he is fat.

Well, I don’t think she hates me or wants me dead, but I couldn’t help but think of SRV and “Leavin’ You (Commit a Crime) Cool

I’m only a little fat... Wink

I actually thought the reel mower might work alright. It’s a Fiskars, the same company that makes high quality scissors. It has a different design than traditional push mowers, with two small, hard wheels on a carriage out in front. The design made it hard to maneuver, difficult to get it into some places, and the small wheels in front would bring the mower to a dead stop if they hit something like a cigarette butt. If a Forum member here has a small patch of grass and think a Fiskars reel type is the way to go. Don’t do it.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:
I am curious as to why your old mower is dying at 5 years old. It should have lasted a lot longer than that. What is wrong with the old one? Can a trip for servicing fix it?

This ^^^^^

Our last small mower, an MTD with a B&S engine, lasted a good 25 years. I only kicked it to the curb because the deck had rusted-out and the wheels where about to fall off.

The el-cheapo Ariens with a Kohler engine we bought for $250 or something at either a Sears clearance or one of the big box HW stores five years ago was still going strong last fall.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Les ( next door) has one that makes you use your thumbs to keep it running,
I hate it.

I mowed his lawn for about 10 minutes before I went and got my own mower, to mow his lawn

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:

I am curious as to why your old mower is dying at 5 years old. It should have lasted a lot longer than that. What is wrong with the old one? Can a trip for servicing fix it?

It was bought used, age unknown, but probably at last 8-10 years on it at that point.

Maybe "dying" isn't the right word...more like "in need of a full tuneup" but I'm not sure it's worth it.

I paid 80 bucks for it 5 years ago, I think it's served its purpose.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

They only do a veterans discount like 2 times a year.

Lowe’s gives me one every time I go there.

According to this its all year...

https://themilitarywallet.com/...0-military-discount/

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Also highly recommend Honda made lawn mower. Everything about mine reeks of quality and is such a joy to mow with especially with the paddle controls for drive speed. I bought mine at Home Depot about 5 years ago and never a problem.

I also add Stabil to gas can right away when I refill it after getting home from gas station.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

They only do a veterans discount like 2 times a year.

Lowe’s gives me one every time I go there.

According to this its all year...

https://themilitarywallet.com/...0-military-discount/

Must vary from location to location. My local HD told me because I wasn't retired or disabled military I wasn't a veteran, and refused to honor the discount. I now ignore them and go to Lowes.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post