SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gas Lawn Mower Shopping Advice
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas Lawn Mower Shopping Advice Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
My gas mower is on its last legs, an old Craftsman self propelled I bought used 5 years ago.

Decided against an electric one, the decent rated ones are just out of my price range right now. Budget is $300 to $350. I see that Lowe’s carries Craftsman gas mowers with Briggs & Stratton engines and within my budget. Are the new ones any good? Could I do better elsewhere with another brand? I like Lowe’s since they give me 10% off for being a Veteran each time I go.

My specs are:

- 21”
- Self Propelled (I have a decent sized yard and got spoiled on the current one being self propelled)
- Mulching capable

As much as I’d love to have a fancy Honda, I just don’t have 900 bucks to spend on a mower right now.

Thanks!

Posts: 33793 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a residential Honda from the local mower shop for $400. Assembled and ready to go.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Honda.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Get the Honda. You’ll thank me later. You can also get the veterans discount at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ho...-HRR216VKA/308769340

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Dude, the Honda I got at home depot meets that and was 399.99

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Get the Honda. You’ll thank me later. You can also get the veterans discount at Home Depot.

They only do a veterans discount like 2 times a year.

Lowe’s gives me one every time I go there.

Posts: 33793 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

They only do a veterans discount like 2 times a year.

Lowe’s gives me one every time I go there.

The HD here does it every time.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
$349 gets you a Honda motor on a Jonsered chassis

Link

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Buy a Honda, add gas, mow.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
The Honda recommendations are good, but don't forget to check Craigslist for the guy who bought one with the intent of doing his yard, and after one or two attempts, gave up and hired someone to do it. You can pick up these mistake purchases for 50% of retail for an essentially 'new' mower.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://cnj.craigslist.org/grd...ower/6874182898.html

Evidence that there are good used Honda in PA, although this is suspiciously close to NYC.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5051 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Find your local Husqvarna dealer and take a look at the HU700F model. Honda engine, self propelled, 22” cut. $349 MSRP.

There is a reason you see a lot of these on the landscapers trailers. They are made to last.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Brings and Stratton make a really good engine. I have a Craftsman riding mower that is 17 years old and started up every time. But Honda is better...

I am curious as to why your old mower is dying at 5 years old. It should have lasted a lot longer than that. What is wrong with the old one? Can a trip for servicing fix it?

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Minnow:
Find your local Husqvarna dealer and take a look at the HU700F model. Honda engine, self propelled, 22” cut. $349 MSRP.

There is a reason you see a lot of these on the landscapers trailers. They are made to last.

This. I have one of these that has run flawlessly for about 5 years now.

Posts: 416 | Location: Near Dallas, TX | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Evidence that there are good used Honda in PA, although this is suspiciously close to NYC.

The Honda hrx 217 is a good lawnmower.
But if you want new... I'm sure the Husqvarna with the Honda engine would be good too.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnDFW:
quote:
Originally posted by Minnow:

This. I have one of these that has run flawlessly for about 5 years now.

Another +1 for a Husqvarna. I bought a (non self propeledj Husqvarna at Lowes about 4-5 years ago that just runs. I paided just under $300.00 for it.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I just bought a used Honda locally. We don't have very much lawn, about 1600 ft2 in back and 1000 in front. My wife insisted that we buy a reel-type push mower and said she would cut the lawn. She didn’t and I hated that mower. This Honda was owned by a young guy who had a lawn service company. He worked it hard for a season and came to realize that he wanted a 30” commercial mower, that the 21” Honda was too small. It’s got some nicks on it, but it started with one pull, the oil was clean and the blade was sharp. I got it for $220 and think I’ll be a whole lot happier than a $300 Murray or Troy Bilt. BTW, our home is on a small acreage, the rest is native grass and I have a John Deere X-Series to take care of it.

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The $269 Toro at HD is not really a bad mower. 21", B&S engine, self-propelled. It can be configured as a side-ejection, bagger, or mulcher.

Posts: 6468 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Craigslist search for Toro Super Recycler (not the cheaper, regular Toro recycler). Best mower you can find at any price. I’ve owned/sold at least 50 of them. I bought them used for $5 to $125 and flipped them for profit after washing them and tuning them up.

Way better than any Honda or Husquvarna or big box store mower. These are honest to god 30 year mowers, so an 8 year old used Super Recycler at $100 still has 20 plus years of life on it and STILL will outlast a big box store mower by a factor of 2 to 1.

I can’t stress enough how good these mowers are compared to everything else out there.

Knowing what I know now I would never ever buy a new $300 mower again. Why pay more for an inferior mower?

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Craigslist search for Toro Super Recycler (not the cheaper, regular Toro recycler). Best mower you can find at any price. I’ve owned/sold at least 50 of them. I bought them used for $5 to $125 and flipped them for profit after washing them and tuning them up.

Way better than any Honda or Husquvarna or big box store mower. These are honest to god 30 year mowers, so an 8 year old used Super Recycler at $100 still has 20 plus years of life on it and STILL will outlast a big box store mower by a factor of 2 to 1.

I can’t stress enough how good these mowers are compared to everything else out there.

Knowing what I know now I would never ever buy a new $300 mower again. Why pay more for an inferior mower?

Since Oregon puts crap in their fuel, gas mowers and pressure washers are a royal pain to use. It gums up the system. I had a real old hand-me-down pressure washer with a B&S motor on it that lasted 10 years without ever having to do anything but put gas in it and prime the system.

I gave it away and bought a Troy-Built Ever-start(?) and it lasted two seasons before I got frustrated with it and kicked it down the driveway. I just moved into a new house and we just landscaped the backyard last year. My neighbor didn't need his mower anymore so he gave me his and it took me a couple of hours to tear it apart, clean the carb, and get it running.

This year, I had to clean it out again and it had jelly in the carb. I cleaned it out and got it running. One week later. Won't start. I'm done with modern mowers. The old stuff was the way to go. The new stuff is CRAP!

I gave up on gas-anything here and have gone strictly electric. The modern day gas stuff is CRAP! I never had problems with old Snappers OR B&S's, but that was in a different state that doesn't put junk in their gas.

We just got a 16" Ryobi corded mower ($110 from Home Depot). I decided against a battery powered simply because I don't want to be ready to use the mower, then find out the battery was dead. Our yard is somewhat small and a 50' cord is long enough to get me anywhere in my yard (just barely). Plug it in and go! Next payday I'm getting an electric pressure washer.

(rant off...)

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post