SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stackable Washer and Dryer Recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stackable Washer and Dryer Recommendation Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
So we brought home a newborn Friday night and Saturday morning my mid-2000's Maytag Neptune (Whirlpool) washing machine decided to no longer drain water. I changed the pump myself (it had two quarters stuck in it and I hoped that would fix the problem), can hear what sounds like a solenoid click in the control panel, but am getting no draining. Talked to a trusted repair guy who is coming out tomorrow and he thinks I may end up being better off replacing the whole machine since a lot of parts are no longer available for this thing. I guess we'll see tomorrow...sooooo...in the meantime.

If you were going to buy a stackable washer and dryer right now what would you buy? I want the simplest quality one possible. I need to stay under $1500 if possible. I don't want a bunch of complicated features, just something that will clean my clothes reliably, fit in a narrow space and last awhile. Seems like I'm asking a lot!

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The “last a while” part of your requirements is the tough part. Although the “clean my clothes” is also kind of iffy, in my experience. My front load washers have been good at saving water and tangling my clothes in wrinkled knots, then becoming unbalanced. I detest them. The design is inherently flawed. Like you, space constraints unfortunately limit me to stacked units.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I'm starting to think I may go for a "laundry unit." They type with a traditional top load washer on the bottom and dryer attached on top as one unit.

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ve seriously considered buying a top load washer and setting up a clothes line in the yard.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KevH, check the email in your profile. I'm a Whirlpool employee... and I have this model (https://www.maytag.com/washers-and-dryers/washers/front-load-washers/p.front-load-washer-with-fresh-hold-option-and-powerwash-system-4.5-cu.-ft.mhw5500fw.html) in my home along with the compatible dryer. With the link I sent you, it should be right around your price point. I had them stacked in my old house, and was very pleased with how they saved space, had great capacity, and cleaned as well as anything else on the market. Let me know if I can help any further.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I have an old GE stacking washer/dryer combo from 2003 that I won't even bother to post the model since they've long been superseded. However unlike arfmel I'm completely satisfied with a front load washer, it's easier on the clothes, cleans better, and with less detergent, than my top-load.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my experience the front loads wash just as good as the top loads, but use less water and less detergent. They take forever (I remember when you could wash a load of clothes in a half hour). But the dryer takes an hour anyways. Cleanliness wise, I haven't found a difference.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
On your Maytag; look at the controller board (behind the controls). There is a resistor which likes to burn out (R13?)

A new board can be had for as little $100 if you do a thorough search. Philips head screwdriver is all you need as I recall. Mine used to burn up about every five years or so.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I have a similar era stackable Maytag.

The problems I've had are similar to yours with the addition of the wax door assembly failing and the controller board twice, along with the drain valve breaking.

I replaced the wax door assembly myself and fixed that problem. The first controller board was under the class action litigation and the second time it just fried a relay. I purchased it from somewhere I don't remember, easily replaced it and it's been working just fine for years.

The controller board removal requires taking off the top with several phillips head screws and the controller board itself is located in R upper corner. Take out old one, put in new one. Machine works like new.

I like the machine. It cleans well and dries very well. It can be saved.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Samsung’s are stackable (don’t buy them)

If you get a front loader, I’ve been using them since the early 80’s. Keep the washer door ajar and you’ll not have any issues with the common smell issue

With a new born, you have nothing to worry about since they will be getting used daily Smile

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by absolut18:
KevH, check the email in your profile. I'm a Whirlpool employee... and I have this model (https://www.maytag.com/washers-and-dryers/washers/front-load-washers/p.front-load-washer-with-fresh-hold-option-and-powerwash-system-4.5-cu.-ft.mhw5500fw.html) in my home along with the compatible dryer. With the link I sent you, it should be right around your price point. I had them stacked in my old house, and was very pleased with how they saved space, had great capacity, and cleaned as well as anything else on the market. Let me know if I can help any further.

You sir are awesome! I sent an e-mail to the address in your profile.

Chance favors only
the prepared mind.
Picture of Dad250
posted Hide Post
Timely discussion as my oldest is closing on a new town house and is in the market for stackable set. Whirlpool / Maytag has always been a good brands so I'm gonna check out the links - Thnx Sigforum members !

SIG P229 9mm
Springfield Armory XD-9 9mm

AUT PAX, AUT BELLUM

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Posts: 550 | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
We have had great luck with the LG gear driven set. We've had ours for over 12 years now and they are still going strong.
Not a small feat with two daughters.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

The old machine was not fixable. The board was toast and that part is NLA. After lots of shopping, I ended up buying a new Maytag 3500 washer and drier from a local independent dealer (couldn't beat their price + hauling off the old and installing the new).

Thank you for the help everyone.