SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Saw A Mid Air Near Miss Tonight
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Saw A Mid Air Near Miss Tonight Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
Looking to my west, the lowest star in the sky, happens to be the brightest. It's there every night. Seeing 13' 6" high tractor/trailers driving beneath the star, heading north, I estimate the star to be 110' in the sky. Along comes a air liner northward to land. I measure the distance from the star to the bottom of the jet with my thumb and index finger, to be exactly 3/8". Phew, that was a close one. Can you imagine if he had his gear down ? Big Grin. Aren't you glad I'm not protecting you with artillary ?

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the pilot knew his clearance was sufficient. Nothing to worry about.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Another f-ing hotdog pilot Roll Eyes

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
That would have been bad if he had hit that star.

It's Venus, and she ain't got no arms to wave him off!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I was going to say that "star" is the planet Venus. It's been very noticeable in the evening sky here, too.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m glad it wasn’t Uranus.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1118 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TBH:
You do know the proper pronunciation is "YOU ruh nus", not "your AY nus" don't you? (Just asking, and I DO get the joke.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I was going to say that "star" is the planet Venus. It's been very noticeable in the evening sky here, too.

flashguy
Is is really Venus ? I'll have to see what I can find on line. Pretty cool you guys.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Cute story!

David, Venus is commonly called the "Evening Star" when it's on the right side of the sun (as we view it from Earth) and the "Morning Star" when it's on the left side of the sun (again, as viewed from Earth). Its period of revolution is 224.7 days (versus Earth's 365 and change) so with both moving, we generally get to see it on both sides a couple of times a year. Of course, when it's within a few degrees of the sun or completely behind it (from our perspective), we don't see it at all.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

It's Venus, and she ain't got no arms to wave him off!

Now that's comedy gold!

https://www.marble-sculpture.c...venus-de-milo-statue

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't this be in the "what's in your glass" thread?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
proper pronunciation is "YOU ruh nus", not "your AY nus" don't you?

...that's what the yourAYnians want us to think

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
You do know the proper pronunciation is "YOU ruh nus", not "your AY nus" don't you? (Just asking, and I DO get the joke.)

It's been "your AY nus" ever since the Klingons got there.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
As George Carlin said, a near miss is a collission. 'look, they nearly missed. . '

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDKdvTecYAM

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I think Saturn or Jupiter is very visible now as well...IIRC in opposition right now.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
As George Carlin said, a near miss is a collission. 'look, they nearly missed. . '

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDKdvTecYAM

First thing that came to mind when reading the thread title.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

flashguy

Hell, I’m happy the spelling was right.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1118 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Shouldn't this be in the "what's in your glass" thread?

I thought Bendable had hacked David Lee's account.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Venus is in the western sky near sunset, Jupiter is in the eastern sky just coming up

its very bright right now, will make a great telescopic object tonight

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I run a nice free little Android app called Sky Map. There are others, of course. But you can just hold your phone up to the sky and it will overlay the map and identify what you're looking at.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
I run a nice free little Android app called Sky Map. There are others, of course. But you can just hold your phone up to the sky and it will overlay the map and identify what you're looking at.
I'll try to remember that as I have no phone service now.