SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hey Shugart...Binocular question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey Shugart...Binocular question Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
OK, the new toy arrived today. About noon, but the delivery driver didn't bother to knock or ring the doorbell. We found the box about 1:30. Then my wife insisted I take her out to eat.

So I managed to spend a few hours this afternoon looking at the river. They really are better than the 10x ones. I can identify coke bottles floating down the Ohio side. Pretty strong.

Some guesses seemed good. Without pushing the button, they are as shaky as I expected. Pushing the button makes a more discernable click than the 10x. The weight seems to be more than I expected. Still not a problem in my recliner. It allows you to really see things a mile away or so. There were no cranes or heron's on the other shore today. Even ducks were few and far between. And no topless girls in boats (for Shugart).

So far I really like them.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
OK, the new toy arrived today. About noon, but the delivery driver didn't bother to knock or ring the doorbell. We found the box about 1:30. Then my wife insisted I take her out to eat.

So I managed to spend a few hours this afternoon looking at the river. They really are better than the 10x ones. I can identify coke bottles floating down the Ohio side. Pretty strong.

Some guesses seemed good. Without pushing the button, they are as shaky as I expected. Pushing the button makes a more discernable click than the 10x. The weight seems to be more than I expected. Still not a problem in my recliner. It allows you to really see things a mile away or so. There were no cranes or heron's on the other shore today. Even ducks were few and far between. And no topless girls in boats (for Shugart).

So far I really like them.
. You sold me on the Canon IS which I ordered today. As to batteries are you using rechargeable?

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
You sold me on the Canon IS which I ordered today. As to batteries are you using rechargeable?

I just put in the Panasonic batteries supplied with it. The 10x ones I bought back in 2005 used a set of Everready batteries for a few years, then I noticed they'd stopped working. So I put in a new set, and they've been good ever since. If they eat a set every 7 or 8 years, I'm OK with it. Battery failure isn't an issue to me. If you're a worrying type, this is an area you can just forget.

Its kind of like your laseraim grips on your handgun. You can sleep tonight knowing they won't last forever. But they'll nearly do it.

You can also get lithium AA batteries. They last several times what an alkaline energizer lasts. Costs more, but lasts longer. Not a bad trade.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Well what I heard was that the police took away Shugart’s binoculars. Something about a complaint.

Surely this wasn’t actually true.

Big Grin

Big Grin Big Grin

I have a 7x50 bino by Bausch&Lomb. Real old. Best glasses I ever saw.....through. Dad said they might be WII era. Night viewing is superb. Far better than another 7x50 I used to have.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
What????? I was just checking out a heavenly body.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post