SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    4Runner owners looking at some possible upgrades to a 2018
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4Runner owners looking at some possible upgrades to a 2018 Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
I have a 2018 TRD Off Road and love it. It’s my 2nd one. I have 2 complaints I want to remedy and 1 improvement just for me. The lack of Apple play is irritating as I prefer google maps over the OEM nav (Garmin I think). There doesn’t seem to be any real plug and play answers for easy upgrade, I looked at OEM audio for sound improvement, but it uses the stock HU.

Power- it seems a bit anemic to me so I was thinking the TRD super charger kit. My sons friend is a Lexus Master Tech and said he would install for beer and steaks... just not sure it’s worth the cost.

I have been wanting to lift it, I was looking at the OME lift.

These upgrades would be about $10k, I really don’t want to buy a new vehicle at $50k. Just wanted to gather some thoughts.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a 2019 and I had SLEE install the OME BP51 lift with medium springs, it is fantastic. We did a couple of long road trips, really comfortable (for a 4x4) and also some offroad and the BP51 works really well.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use an IPad mounted to the dash bluetoothed to the head unit. As it’s mounted in front of the head unit I lose the ability to see the back up camera but I’m ok with that.

I use an Idrive throttle response controller. It doesn’t increase horsepower but it does change your vehicles throttle response. Giving it a good bit of get up and go. It is also fully adjustable for different driving situations. There is several different brands on the market. Like Idrive, pedal commander, etc. They all work basically the same. Cost around $200.

I have an Icon stage 2 lift. It rides like a dream with Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I had BFG KO2’s and they rode terrible. I couldn’t get the vibration out of them. I was glad to see them go.

Posts: 103 | Registered: June 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Though I have done NO upgrades to my '19, I am eventually going to get Kings for all 4 corners.

As to the lack of Apple Car Play, a lot of folks are going with the Cartimhome T9
Mixed results because it's Chinese and sometimes have to go through various settings to get it to work as you'd like. I like the idea but I'd rather someone hack the stock head unit coding and jailbreak it for us. Eventually, I think I'll have to nut up and just get the T9 or whatever variant is available when it comes time.

If you aren't over on 4Runner Forum then you are missing out.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
alpine and Kenwood have aftermarket head units

I have a 2020 Pro so it came with CarPlay....Ive used once

I agree, stock maps are horrible, I don't think they are Garmin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I would do a Procharger kit over the TRD/Magneson kit.
One it’s intercooled and two I have been around them for a long time being in the Mustang World.

OME is a solid choice in a lift and while I have a Tundra I did contemplate it but I ended up pulling the trigger on the Falcon kit. Just wish it would arrive.
https://www.falconshocks.com/2010-toyota-4runner

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I had the same compliant about the Tacoma TRD Off-road and its lack of “power”. Installed a Pedal Commander and it now has “ power”.
Really easy install. No hesitation getting on the highway in Sport mode.
Simple , easy fix.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
id add the pedal commander will make a difference for very little effort. have driven a few cars before and after. it works. i dont own one, so i cant say what the long term experience is.

modern 4runners have good power, but yeah their throttle response is very "90's camry" im sure they had their reasons. if your not satisfied, a supercharger would be a serious next step.

Posts: 775 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the input. I actually thought that Toyota would do a update so the head units would have Apple car play. Mazda did it for my wife’s 2016 Mazda 6. I’ll look at the pro charger .

What exactly does the pedal commander do?

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
Thanks guys for the input. I actually thought that Toyota would do a update so the head units would have Apple car play. Mazda did it for my wife’s 2016 Mazda 6. I’ll look at the pro charger .

It adjusts the throttle response curves.
While it does not create more power it just adds more responsiveness to you pushing the pedal based upon which mode you choose.

————————————————

Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:

It adjusts the throttle response curves.
While it does not create more power it just adds more responsiveness to you pushing the pedal based upon which mode you choose.

What impact does it have on gas mileage?
Last I checked, my 2020 Venture edition only gets 18.8 mpg.
It did come with Apple car play and a few other extras but I don't need or use them.
I was looking for a TRD off-road premium in Black or Silver but they were almost impossible to find so I had to settle on the Venture.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
I have a 2020 4 Runner and I have a few basic mods.

New LED reverse lights

All new LED interior lights with the exception of the map lights which can't be changed out. I pulled the entire assembly down and they don't appear that you can take them out.

New Cooper Tires

New crossbars that could hold more weight

Tinted windows

New 3d Floor mats. Way better than stock or other brands. Have got them in all our vehicles.

Pedal Commander. I have tried all the settings and was able to pull 19 one time on the ECO setting. It was very sluggish and not fun to drive. I can average 16 with the middle ECO setting. The other settings are fun if you want to feel more response out of the pedal. I can make really touchy or really sluggish. I am on the fence about if I would recommend it. It does make it fun to drive but your MPG will drop even more. I ended up turning it off and will use when the need strikes.

Check out these guys. They have some fun mods to look at and do some really cools reviews.

https://trail4runner.com/

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Save a bit more and step up from the OME lift. Icon, Fox, Slee... all have better options. OME while budget friendly, I wouldn’t call daily driver friendly. Be prepared to get new UCA’s if you go over 2ish inches in the front. If not, carry a spare CV joint and learn how to replace one should you find yourself in trouble on a trail.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Jon has a good youtube channel with a good review of some good head units.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZbt1tvz7DM

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I would take a hard look at the Dobinson IMS lifts.
https://exitoffroad.com/produc...ota-4runner-5th-gen/

I ordered my Falcons on Black Friday (still waiting thanks to Covid). The Dobinson IMS system was not available for the Tundras yet then.
Now they are and I have been reading up on them and it seems like they are a pretty solid choice.
https://exitoffroad.com/produc...ota-4runner-5th-gen/

Sadly I am in too deep with springs, top hats, and those parts being at the powdercoat shop to cancel the order on the Falcons.
Plus with the Black Friday sale I got a silly price on the Falcon adjustable Tow/Haul setup I am still much cheaper.

————————————————

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
OME are solid lifts, I had one on my land Rover and it rode really well.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input, I want to add the TRD Pro roof rack. I like it’s looks a lot more than the regular one.

YAT-YAS

To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Bonfire, look up icarus map light. I have one in mind and it blows the other leds away since it's an entire board vs a bulb. Plus there newest one you can dim. I have the old one that switches between red and white.

OP,

The ome lift is solid. I looked at them, bilstein, and toytec. I ended with bilstein 6112s and 5160s since I got a great deal on them I couldn't pass up. But any of the big names will work great.

As for the supercharger, if the heart wants it then get it. Personally unless you add a ton of weight like sliders, full skids, and new bumpers then it's a waste. Honestly I'd take that money and regear it instead, add a better exhaust, and you'll be way ahead still as far as money goes (plus might bump up 1 or 2 mpg). For what it's worth here, I have rci skids for the engine, sliders, and went up to 275/70/17 for tires. The extra tire weight was evened with new wheels, but everything else slowly adds up and haven't bothered to consider a supercharger yet, but will regear to 4.10 this or next year (would go 4.56 if using 285s and a new bumper).

For the head unit, check crutchfield. There's a ton that will work with the 4runner (will loose the dials and buttons, but it'll be touch screen of course, add car play, and most will work with the steering wheel controls still).

For the roof rack, not much works or fits right with the trd racks. There's a lot out there that will give a similar look, but will be a better design for similar cost. I kept with my factory rack and just added victory 4x4 cross bars since I only put recovery boards, and a hi lift jack up top. Whatever you change to, just make sure you seal the hell out of it and check it once a year. The factory rubber pads on the rack you have now do a great job with keeping water out, but when changing I've seen some major rust damage done to the roof that wasnt discovered for months.

You can email me with any questions you have too.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, I appreciate the ideas as it opened up some other avenues. I will do the lift.

YAT-YAS

Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
@smpsmp- how is the install. It was a pain in the arse to take that down and make sure I am not wrecking anything. I could not find their instructions on any sites.

These guys do a great review on roof racks. https://trail4runner.com/

I ended up just getting new crossbars so I could use the rocket box that fits our highlander. It is nice to be able to swap the box between vehicles.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post