SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Scoutmaster, why are you still posting from Kali?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scoutmaster, why are you still posting from Kali? Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted
I thought you were vacating enemy territory by now.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Try lowering the asking price of your home from $10 million to $9.9 million - it'll sell in a flash Big Grin

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Hey burg, how you doing? Are you on a walker full time and wearing bubble wrap pjs? Think you'll be at NGD w-end after next. Maybe you should rent one of those Dixon hover rounds.

Cactus Jack sets up across the aisle from me and he hit forward instead of reverse on his scooter and about $20k worth of sxs clattered around but no big damage. I'd love to see you on one of them, bet you would clear the aisles of the lookie lous and the family reunion's in the middle of the aisles that blocks everyone's ability to shop our display tables. Hope you make it. Shows aren't the same without you.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
I thought you were vacating enemy territory by now.

Somewhat in process. I retire from 20 years of teaching college on June 30 (once I submit final grades). In early Aug we move to Alabama for two years of volunteer work to support college students. After that we will likely move to Utah or Florida, where we have family.

The CA Primary Election a week from today is scary. I am sure there are some (few) honorable candidates on the ballot. But on the whole, the choice is between wicked, evil, mean, bad, and/or nasty.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
Try lowering the asking price of your home from $10 million to $9.9 million - it'll sell in a flash Big Grin

Most houses around here are on the market for less than two weeks, and sell above asking price. But we will likely rent the house to some good friends.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
But we will likely rent the house to some good friends.

Steve, I'm sure you are aware of the very substantial tax bite if you were to rent your house more than three of the next five years, so you would no longer be eligible for the capital gains tax exclusion on sale of the house. We made that mistake; sort of got out of it with a 1031 but that was very suboptimal.

Can't blame you for moving, of course. If it weren't for our kids and now a granddaughter here we would also move out.

Posts: 18052 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:
But we will likely rent the house to some good friends.

Steve, I'm sure you are aware of the very substantial tax bite if you were to rent your house more than three of the next five years, so you would no longer be eligible for the capital gains tax exclusion on sale of the house. We made that mistake; sort of got out of it with a 1031 but that was very suboptimal.

Can't blame you for moving, of course. If it weren't for our kids and now a granddaughter here we would also move out.

We have a tax friend who helps us stay inbounds on those things.

Sidenote. We have 7 grandsons, only 1 granddaughter (none in CA, which is why we prob won't move back here). The wife and I have agreed on how much we are "not" going to spoil our only granddaughter. Wink

Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
In early Aug we move to Alabama for two years of volunteer work to support college students.

What part of Alabama? If you're going to be anywhere near B'ham, I'll buy you a frosty beverage of your choice. Cool

Email sent.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:
In early Aug we move to Alabama for two years of volunteer work to support college students.

What part of Alabama? If you're going to be anywhere near B'ham, I'll buy you a frosty beverage of your choice. Cool

Email sent.

That part is uncertain, we understand most of the time will be around Tuscaloosa and Huntsville. I will keep in touch.

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Hey burg, how you doing? Are you on a walker full time and wearing bubble wrap pjs?

Hope you make it. Shows aren't the same without you.

There is no chance I'll be at the June show. It would seem my doctors have been eyeing new Merceds and BMWs and want help with the payments. They've got a full course of suffering planned for me. This upcoming week they want to do an angiogram just to see if it will kill me. If it doesn't, they're going to try again and do a valve job on me. None of that addresses my complaint and the reason I went to them. I'm kind of tired of falling down all the time. One of these will really injure or kill me. I have this pain allergy. Its easy to describe, its like I'm really drunk all the time. Like falling down drunk. I feel good sitting in my chair or lying in bed. Fools me into thinking everything will be OK. But when I stand up I'm so dizzy I about fall down. It was so bad a few months back I went to the ER. That doc, after inflicting a bunch of pain on me, decided it was vertigo.

The pills they prescribed were pretty good, make s my sinus problem go away and hide. But nothing else. I can't walk much. Thats what makes me fall down. As long as I don't stand, I'm fine. Hard to enjoy a gun show on your back.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
That part is uncertain, we understand most of the time will be around Tuscaloosa and Huntsville. I will keep in touch.

Our bishop's daughter is serving in the AL Birmingham mission and has been on the UA campus.

Good luck!

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:

Our bishop's daughter is serving in the AL Birmingham mission and has been on the UA campus.

Good luck!

We may get to meet her.