SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another Land Buying Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Land Buying Question Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted
I've been looking to get out of suburbia as I prefer not to have backyard neighbors. We've had them for 10 years now and it's time to move on.

Not far from our house is a nice 5 acre treed parcel with 390 feet of frontage. The problem: it has a storm drain running down the. Idle of it for about 400 feet and then the line takes a 45 and goes to the neighbors property. The high side is 120 feet wide and is nicely treed. The low side is 159 feet and treed but poorly drained.

The drain is confirmed not to have an easement so I can move it if I want to. Just another expense.

There is enough land that we can pull the dirt to regrade and move water away from the house.

Another problem. Fred Sanfords brother lives next door on the wider side. Okay, he's not that bad but you get the idea.

There is a golf course across the street that is being reasoned into a residential neighborhood. Starter + homes and the township is in court to get them to reduce the 600+ home count.

I would build the home 350' back so the added traffic does not bother me too much. As long as I have a back yard with a pond and trees behind it, I'm good.

Behind the lot is another small neighborhood but it is highly unlikely that it would get further developed as there is a gully that prevents it.

I can ride my atv and shoot on the property (would need to build a good backstop on the flat land) However, the shooting prospect may disappear as the neighborhoods get more populated.

What say you? It's not the County but could be a little slice of heaven in suburbia.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you're going to have a lot of neighbors you can potentially get crossways with, to me.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
That's a concern but the road is not a main drag right now and don't see it becoming one. That being said, the new neighborhood would have 3 exits, 2 on this street and one on the adjacent cross street.

Again it is across the street and the township has been good with green space up on roads. The side neighbors are on 4 acres to the south and 10 acres to the north.

My other concern is the drain line on the property. There is room to build next to it but it is coming from the existing golf course but I don't believe they can upsize it. The township is looking to see if they can remove it but I doubt it.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
What you've listed has already talked me out of it. I'd keep looking.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
It sounds like you're going to have a lot of neighbors you can potentially get crossways with, to me.

Yes, and that gets bothersome and expensive rather quickly.

I would not be all that quick to jump on the deal. LOTS of work, expense, and regrading land is not something I would undertake.

But then I just turned 79 and the missus is 81.

Young whipper-snappers are a little more "courageous".

Oh, and when we moved in here, we had no drainage ditch for runoff water from up the slope. Thanks to an illegal shopping center we now have a potential trout stream. I had to build a bridge to get across it now.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
The other land I'm looking at is 20 acres that is about 15 minutes from us. Mostly old field in the boonies but it would require pulling environmental permits to get across the low quality wetlands along the frontage road. Would be less of an issue if there were not shown on the fish and wildlife wetlands mapper.

This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^^^. Regrading is not my forte so I'd be contracting out the work. We are about 30 years your junior so still young and dumb..... Wink

Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

This

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Does the county (or township or whatever) have regulations on the size of a parcel you can use firearms on? Many do. If you have subdivisions on two sides, you can expect that there will be complaints (legitimate or not) to the authorities about your shooting range, no matter that you have a safe backstop. I wouldn't want to subject myself to that or the other headaches (tresspassing, etc) likely with housing developments that near my "rural property". YMMV.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^. No regulations on parcel size to shoot firearms. It's a rural area next to suburbia. Throuble is, the are has been discovered and is growing. Yes, the shooting complaints have started so now it's a matter of time.

We are about a 100 yards from the county border now and we hear the gunfire all the time. I can tell when someone get a new AR for Christmas.

Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about land or grading or drainage, but I would pass. I may be wrong but it seems like you're trying to talk yourself into this because you want to move. I think if you bought that land you would be settling and would be unhappy with it in a couple of years.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
the area has been discovered and is growing.

Sounds like if you already lived there you'd be looking to move.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another problem. Fred Sanfords brother lives next door on the wider side. Okay, he's not that bad but you get the idea.

And this brings us the biggest problem with everyone's dream of "getting a few acres in the country." You have no control over what your neighbors do. Hog farm? Saw mill? Trailer park? Nothing you can do.

People like to gripe about home owners' associations and subdivision covenants, but they are truly there for one reason: to preserve property values.

It's a real challenge to a developer as well. If you want to put in a nice subdivision just outside of town, you have no control over what can happen across the road from your entrance.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45_Auto:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

This

Agreed.

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
I know nothing about land or grading or drainage, but I would pass. I may be wrong but it seems like you're trying to talk yourself into this because you want to move. I think if you bought that land you would be settling and would be unhappy with it in a couple of years.

Yes, I'm the one that wants to move. My wife will do with whatever I want as it's my passion to get to the country.

This property is a compromise between suburbia and the country as all the amenities are close and the drive to work is not altered much.

The other property I mentioned is a little more than what I'm looking for and about as far out as we want to go. Then there is the wetland issue and dealing with the regulations to build a driveway through it.

This area of the county is pretty flat so grading and water diversion requirements are necessary wherever we would buy.

Yes, the locals are leaving as property values are going up and a lot of the home are scrapers.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Seems like if youre on the edge and someone makes a big enough stink about your shooting they will rezone the land to include your property. All that money wasted. Id go further out.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
Don't forget about septic system costs and maintenance. If your property is wet you may need a expensive system with regular maintenance.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
5 Acres with all the things you want to be able to do, isn't much. Add to that the issues you mention and I'd pass.
You need more acreage and without the problems.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two items that would worry me, both with the golf course/home project. Old golf courses are notoriously "dirty", arsenic and other nice chemicals. If there is any water flow toward your property, top or ground water, you could have a problems. If I was buying property that backed onto a golf course I would test the ground water and do a Phase II on the land near the property line.

Then there is the development of the course which would change your whole dynamic of "living in the country".

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
The other land I'm looking at is 20 acres that is about 15 minutes from us. Mostly old field in the boonies but it would require pulling environmental permits to get across the low quality wetlands along the frontage road. Would be less of an issue if there were not shown on the fish and wildlife wetlands mapper.

As a builder / developer I agree that 5 acres isn't much given what you want to do. The neighbors could be a royal PITA and could make your desire for a little country a nightmare.
I would get the larger parcel mentioned above after finding out about the environmental issues and gaining access.
In the long run you'll probably be much happier.
Keep in mind that suburbia is constantly moving out as you already alluded to and in 5 years you might not be as far out as you originally thought.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post