SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you ever heard of Oak Ridge, Tennessee?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever heard of Oak Ridge, Tennessee? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
Growing up in Tennessee, I was always quite familiar with Oak Ridge. Recently I have heard it’s not as well known as I always figured it was.

Do you know about it?

It didn’t exist really before WWII. Then, suddenly it did. People working in the plants had no idea what they were doing really. Most just went to work doing small tasks that they were not allowed to talk about.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, been there several times to shoot NRA High Power matches.

I knew about it before that, because history and junk....A-bomb and stuff. You know, how it just sprung up out of nowhere .

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Yes. I was always fascinated by the K25 plant, which was (I think) at one time was the largest building on earth.

The calutrons were wired with pure silver loaned by the US Treasury. Over 14,000 tons of it. It of course, went back when the plant was dismantled.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Yup. Big WWII buff, AEC and Oak Ridge are part of that.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I just listened to a book on cd about the history of nuculear power and the MANY accidents along the way and Oak Ridge was touched on. People doing compartmentalized tasks work on the bomb was commonplace to reduce the number of folks in the loop.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
Yes, I’ve heard of it. Also read a book about some of the women who worked there Girls of Atomic City. Book was ok.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Been there several times. Even once worked at the ORNL.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I just asked my wife and some of her co-workers. No clue.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is also out there.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Worked in the Oak Ridge area for one year and visited the labs as well. Interesting community. At the time the city had the highest population of PHDs in the United States.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Yes, and Los Alamos among others.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although it was much too long ago to be certain, given my early interest in WWII history it was probably one of the very first place names I associated with Tennessee.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I went and taught some Guvvies at ORNL a few years ago.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Yup, I've known about Oak Ridge, TN for quite some while.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never actually been there but have heard and read a lot about it.

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My dad always said the bomb saved his life (so I guess mine too) as he had been in the Pacific for a year and a half. He was preparing with his unit for the invasion that was scheduled for early 1946.
He drank two beers the night the surrender was announced, one of two times in his life.
I think most people that haven't read much on the project would think of Las Alamos as where the bomb was built.
That whole project was amazing in it's size and the speed with which it was accomplished.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drove thru there a few years ago and visited the museum for the second time. Don't let the name "American Museum of Science and Energy" fool you, there's lots on the Manhattan Project plus displays of nukes.

https://amse.org/

It's outside the gates, no security to go through.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Mom had some cousins that worked there .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is also out there.

This is the only reason I know about it. Birthplace of nuclear bomb.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ORNL is the only way one would ever know about Oak Ridge, particularly Y-12 which I believe where the national stockpile of fissile material is stored.

Along with Los Alamos, Livermore, Pentax, and the NV Test Site, Y-12 is one of a small handful of our nations most secure locations and secret goings-on in terms of nuclear research and weapons tech.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post