SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you ever heard of Oak Ridge, Tennessee?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever heard of Oak Ridge, Tennessee? Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Yes, learned some of what I learned thru the years when I was in high school. Had a science teacher who was a really great teacher and for about the last 2 weeks of my sophomore year he showed movies about "the bomb".

Edited to add: Some of the movies were actual films taken of some of the live tests before they were dropped on Japan.

I had an uncle in the navy who got to tour one of those sites, brought back a number of photographs showing the incredible destruction. Whole city completely flattened.

Saw some films in high school that showed the shock waves hitting structures when they were testing the bomb.

Never had a chance to visit the site.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
We were taught about Oak Ridge, Tennessee in school from after the bombs were dropped. Prior to that, of course, not. So yes, I've known about Oak Ridge, Tennessee for a long time. Have never been there, though.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
“Birthplace” is a somewhat vague term, but Los Alamos was the primary location where the uranium and plutonium atomic bombs and later the hydrogen bomb were designed and fabricated. It’s also where the top nuclear design scientists like Oppenheimer and Teller worked, and was close to where the first atomic tests were conducted. Oak Ridge’s primary purpose was to enrich uranium for that bomb—a vital mission, but it’s not where the bombs themselves came from.

A couple of excellent histories about the early development of nuclear weapons are The Making of the Atomic Bomb and Dark Sun: The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb by Richard Rhodes. There are also several other good books about how Soviet spies made it possible for the USSR to catch up to the US much faster than they could have otherwise.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Of Course. I guess people don’t know who the Oak Ridge Boys are anymore.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, I visited there as a young lad. I don't remember much about the facility, but I do remember the souvenir irradiated dime I got.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, as a lifelong US history buff.

My 95 year old Mother-in-law has a certificate from the War Department for her work there on the Manhattan Project, she worked in one of the plant safety offices.....

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Oak Ridge is probably better known than Hanford.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went there in the mid 90’s with Sr management of our company looking to set up either a machine shop, or purchase available machining capacity. They took us on a tour, very informative and scary at the same time. Went by the building where the Uranium 238 was enriched for the original bombs, we were told that when the program ended they turned off the electricity and left. Partially enriched U238 still in all the plumbing, and Asbestos in the walls. Also showed us many drill presses, lathes, etc behind a roped off area, were told they had “hot spots” and had not been cleaned up yet.

Posts: 3 | Registered: November 27, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I used to live off Pellissippi Parkway on the way to Oak Ridge from Knoxville. And was a member of Oak Ridge Sportsman Association with its’ 1000 yard range.

Lot’s of highly educated folks there...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Kept our horses in Clinton at our friend's farm for about 10 years. Clinton is next door to Oak Ridge - we were there all the time. People from all over the world there in Oak Ridge.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have know about Oak Ridge for a long time. At one time I worked for a few years traveling the country as a Health Physics Tech. Oak Ridge was always on the list of places to work after our usual 3 month duty of refueling nuclear power plants. I had some friends go there for work but never wanted to go myself.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Company I worked for has designed and built buildings at oak ridge national laboratory. The security was off the charts. They had department of energy snipers in the hillsides surrounding the site calling in security and safety violations. One of the buildings was attacked / infiltrated by two catholic nuns protesting. Our security designer also worked on federal bureau of prisons Florence Co. It was not a good owners meeting.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have. While in college, I worked part time for a retail outlet called Howard Brothers Discount...much like K-Mart. They had a store in Oak Ridge, TN. Don’t know anything about its history, though.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Yep. Ever heard of Dawson Forest and the lab/work that happened there? They flooded the area and it’s all under a lake now. Nearby is a nice range, Riverbend Gun Club.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've heard of Oak Ridge, but admittedly have never been there and don't know much about it, other than the historic Oak Ridge Laboratory's involvement in Uranium enrichment, and the Oak Ridge Boys, I really don't know much about it...

...however, I just finished watching a documentary about the weaponized internet virus used to take out the Iranian Uranium enrichment facility at Natanz, and apparently the Oak Ridge Lab played a role in the prep work for the attack.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
In addition to the production of the uranium used in the Little Boy bomb they also had a role in figuring out the process for plutonium. A Chrysler place here in Detroit (or used to be) nickel plated a lot of diffusers used in the enrichment of uranium there.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Yes, read a lot about Trinity Site as we lived in Socorro for nine years. My interest was sparked as at that time there were still many residents of the area that experienced the test.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
Yep. Ever heard of Dawson Forest and the lab/work that happened there? They flooded the area and it’s all under a lake now. Nearby is a nice range, Riverbend Gun Club.

GNAL-Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Laboratory.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Sister did a college internship at ORNL. I got a tour out of it. I actually don't remember much about the tour.

Posts: 11159 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
heard off it, partly from high school history, and partly from reading about it years after,

I also know they hold matches there, and have for a good while,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post