SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just an update on my Polaris Ranger
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just an update on my Polaris Ranger Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So several months ago I posted about trading my Can Am four wheelers (OUtlander 400's) for a UTV.

I ended up trading one for the Ranger and selling the other outright. In the end it was very close to a swap.

The Ranger is a 2007 XP700 Full size. It was a private party deal.
The dealer who is the best one near me sold me some new take off Carlilse oem polaris tires. Mine were hardly used but time had cracked them so i opted to replace. The originals had less than 1000 miles on them and the tread was excellent. I thought I had a cv boot that was ripped but turned out to be the steering boot. The dealer put the tires on it. Replaced the steering boat. Did a complete service.
They could not believe the shape my unit was in. Had 982 original miles and like 180 hrs. It was the cleanest older Ranger they had seen. Everything checked out great.

Runs like a top. Fun to drive. They are a bit noisy but just the nature of the best. Use ear plugs and all is good. Will do 30 mph comfortably. Probably top out at around 45 or 50 mph.

Has a winch. The rope needs to be replaced. Has a front windsheil. I am going to order a Cooter Brown plastic roof for it to replace the plywood the previous owner put on it. The full size if pretty sweet as it is sort of like a small jeep. I may end up putting a small lift on it. Not sure. Just to get it up a bit, maybe like three inches.

Maybe add a couple of good Led lights to it.f

I will probably look for a snow plow for it as well at some point.

I would not of ever bought one outright. But since we owned the ATV's it worked out to do a trade. We just never seemed to use the atvs. I do still have a Honda Rancher though.

Just thought I would share since I had not updated my post about getting it and not using until I had some funds to get it rtg.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19172 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds awesome.

Replace the winch rope with spectrabraid......really strong stuff for it's diameter.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I too, sold an ATV to help fund it but I really enjoy my Polaris RZR.

I have some recommendations on parts if you’re interested.

Enjoy!

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Riley, sure you can post or email me. It is in my profile. Thank you.

Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you got a good UTV. I bought a Polaris RZR this past June, just love it. I have it stored in Black Hills where I spend my summers. In SD you can run them on the roads.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4834 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Guess what I went and done did - I bought myself a Ranger too Eek I traded one in from a small city and was able to buy it pretty cheap. Have had a blast with it so far and have coaxed plenty of work out of it too.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Whoa Scott Eek , what did you get?
I am impressed. Glad it has preformed well.

Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Nothing special, just a 500 EFI. I think it's a 2007, has a winch. Kind of a pooch but I don't need a hot rod. Did some great trail riding way up northern MN on some logging roads.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Nothing to be ashamed of there buddy.That is a good machine. Congrats on your Ranger. Smile

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Congratulations ORC it sounds like you got a nice one.

Side by sides are really selling well. Talking with a salesman at the Polaris/Can Am dealership he said he can't remember the last ATV he sold it's all been UTV's.

I know my 2013 Ranger 500 EFI is a little noisier even with just the 12" windshield on, and much noisier when I put the roof on which I generally do about this time of the year. Come Spring when I take them both off it's like a different machine.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7094 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
This thread is useless without pics...
Just sayin'

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I recommend an AmSteel synthetic rope for the winch. However, it may take some work to clean up your winch to smooth up any rough spots left from a wire rope. You also will probably need a new fairlead. If you get a plow, I’d purchase a 10’ synthetic rope or lift strap to save wear on a longer more expensive line. Winch Line I replaced the Chinese hook with a CM brand rigging shackle of the right size for the winch/rope/machine. Shackle

I also like the KFI Brand plows, US made and heavy duty. Such as seen here- KFI Plow

I mounted a 12” LED bar on my car for night time desert drives, it’s held up and I’m not sure I need the 30” size, and will get another for the RZR. LED Light Bar

I buy a lot from Rocky Mountain ATV, I’ve been happy with their TUSK brand. I have some tools, LED light bar, plow lift rope and some odds and ends from them.

Good score on the tires, I have the factory ones but will be installing Sedona RipSaws soon.

Enjoy, they are a lot of fun.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Just waiting for the snow!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8527 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few led lights both bar and pod type made by NiLight, got them from Amazon, will buy them again...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a 2015 570 efi set up for shooting sporting clays. Also use it around the house for misc. hauling and long driveway mail retrieval. Has a 3500# winch which has come in more handy than you can imagine.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for your thoughts and recommendations.

smlsig, I hear you on pix. I just have not gone through the process to find and easy to use hosting site.

Ozark, what a great place the BH's are.

Thanks Riley. I like the idea of the winch strap and shackle. Not sure about a light bar. I am thinking more about rotational lights. A smallish bar might be fine. Some I have seen are obnoxious. Also not sure about quality. Still thinking about a small lift.
ridewv, I prefer a top and windshield so just use the earplugs.

LMS, that is an awesome setup. A dream package you have. Congrats.

hvyhauler, I will check them out when I am ready to add some lights.

Nosticks, I am looking at that machine (used) on trading off my snowmachines.

I am considering riding myself of our two snowmobiles. Do not use. Maybe another one might be in the offing. Found one that could be a possibility on a trade deal. It is a newer 570 Polaris midsize. My father could use one at his place. It is quite a bit smaller. According to Polaris it has as much power as my 700 Eek