SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2008 Ford f250 Superduty diesel
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2008 Ford f250 Superduty diesel Login/Join 
Picture of nojoy
posted
I'm looking at getting a used 2008 f250 Super Duty. SuperCab, 4x4 diesel. Towing occasionally up to 11,000 pds. In 2008, Ford came out with a new twin turbo Diesel engine. Has a little over 100,000 miles on it. Maticulate records. Starting price $19,000.
Anyone with experience with this year and model of Ford? Maintenance issues?

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
That's the 6.4L.

It was an improvement over the 6.0, but still had a fair amount of kinks.

For the right price, both the 6.0 and 6.4 can be "made" to be reliable.

A few years later the 6.7 came out, which has so far been pretty solid.

My suggestion is to either find a 7.3 or a 6.7, or stick with gas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
Ok thx. So the 6.4L may be reliable, but have issues down the road. How long do you think those turbos will last with regular maintenance? Do I need to run DEF fluid?

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stay away from the 6.4, I've been fighting issues on mine the last several months. Injectors, valves, and electrical gremlins galore. The 2010 I drive does not use DEF to answer your other question.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those 6.4s are some real beasts and I would think with 100k on the motor that is probably a good one. They are somewhat sought after by the diesel hotrod crowd. The turbos should last a long time as long as the correct fluids are maintained.
I have noticed they are not user friendly for many DIY tasks, but nothing since the 7.3s have been. Many jobs require you to raise the cab off the chassis.
I don't have a 6.4, I have a 7.3 OBS (old body style). I paid $8k for it and have dumped in another $2.5k upgrading etc and still have to do the injectors (another $1500 ish). I do all my own work. Getting it to pull as hard as the stock 56.4 is not really feasible. just fyi.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to the reliability of the 08 250 but I do know DEF didn't come onto the scene until 2011.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That engine was so bad Ford quit making it after 3 years. I know several people who owned trucks with the 6.4 and they had plenty of trouble with them.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
My buddy is a diesel mechanic at a local Ford dealer. He hates that motor and told me the dealership will NOT take the trucks with that motor in on trade.
Yes they can be built up but then its as much as a new truck with the 6.7.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't have the 6.0 or 6.4. I'd pony up and buy newer for the 6.7. That's what I plan to do when I retire this '01 7.3. Having said that, I have no plans to do so for many more years...

Many folks take issue with DEF. I have a Sprinter too, it uses DEF. It's no big deal, uses 2.5 gallons between oil changes. The tank holds more than that so it's no inconvenience.

Posts: 1823 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
My best friend has that year truck with 114,000 miles. He has a lot of problems with the engine. One of his main complaints is that he has to drive around wasting fuel while the exhaust cleans itself while at the same time smoking like a freight train.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh yeah, that one had that crazy regen thing for the exhaust. I would be afraid of this motor unless I was a serious diesel nerd and really wanted to get into it, and had the facilities to cope (A lift).

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Maybe this truck is only worth $17,000 then. Looking at future maintenance headaches.
Or find a V-10 version.

I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Just so long as you understand that $5k+ repair bills for that engine aren't out of the norm. I'm not sure a $2k discount would be enough for me to bite, perhaps $5k would.

Float that by him and see what he says. If he takes offense, first screw him, and second, inform him of depressed values due to extensive and well documented 6.4 service issues.

I looked around locally to see if i could round up later model with 6.7. Found a 2013 with 132k miles, 4x4, auto. Asking price is $26490. link

So you can trade up 5 yrs, leave that problematic engine to somebody else, relatively modest use for those trucks at the 139k. That wouldn't bother me. I would like to see the service history and how well will in clean up?

Here's another for link little older and more miles, but getting into your price range...

Posts: 1823 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Weird Al is
My Hero
Picture of mini68rt
posted Hide Post
I have one. I'll hit 250k miles this year. It has been a great truck with no major issues so far. It has been modified to remove some of the power and fuel robbing aspects that cause a lot of the complaints.

No one dared to ask his business, no one dared to make a slip.
The stranger there among them had a big iron on his hip.

Posts: 858 | Location: Way Too Close to UNC , NC | Registered: June 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I would avoid the 6.4, it's known as a throw away motor.

You'd be better of with a 6.0 that has been bullit proofed.

Lots of info at www.powerstrokehelp.com

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4519 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Quite honestly I would never pay that much for a vehicle with over 100k on it. Sure, the engine may be able to last a couple hundred grand more but you still have the rest of the vehicle with parts not designed to last that long. I realize what they cost new but that's a bunch of cash for a used vehicle. I bought a 97 F250 Powerstroke with 148k on it from the original owner for less than 8k. It will tow or haul anything I have plus they are fairly easy to work on, unlike the newer vehicles.

Posts: 4098 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
I'm also looking at a f250 XLT 4x4 V10. Crew Cab. 71,000 miles.
I might be able to get it for around $22,000. Any issues with the V10 models?

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nojoy:
I'm also looking at a f250 XLT 4x4 V10. Crew Cab. 71,000 miles.
I might be able to get it for around $22,000. Any issues with the V10 models?
My understanding (without owning one) is that the V10 triton motor of those years (and most others) is a solid performing motor. It eats gas at an exponential rate, but has a proven maintenance record and hauls heavy loads as it should.

You didn't mention a year. 71K miles seems about half of the expected life for that motor, assuming it's been maintained properly. I can't speak to pricing. What was it's use prior to being offered for sale?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
A mechanic friend of mine said the Ford V10 is a solid unit like AK said.

That price seems pretty high. I do not think Ford is producing pickups or Excursions with the V10 any longer. I believe it is still in production for some vehicles in their line though.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
The V10 model is a 2010. Both F250s I'm looking at were bought new in B.C. First owner leased. Second one purchased.
As I was studying the 6.4 diesel and listening to Powerstrokehelp.com, I think the V10 is the way to go, unless I want to buy a new 6.4l Diesel engine and have it installed if things start going south.