SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any members here who have not seen the Godfather movies?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any members here who have not seen the Godfather movies? Login/Join 
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
" leave the gun, take the cannoli " Clemenza

Agree that GF 1 & 2 are two of the best American films ever.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

Gone With the Wind??

[/drift]

Birth of a Nation essentially invented the modern film, being the first to use intercutting editing, multiple angles, tracking and panning shots, close ups, transitions, dramatic narrative storytelling, location shooting, etc.

Back to The Godfather, it is remarkably still a valid, completely timeless film, unlike many films from that era. It has not dated itself one bit.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16670 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
I saw 1 and 2 in the movies, not sure if I saw 3.

Don't recall.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I don't hate 3 as much as most do. It is not nearly as well made or done as the first two, no argument there, and there is some bad acting.

However, you can live without having seen it. The first two though are must watch. I still enjoyed it though, it wraps things up a bit.

There is so much subtle goodness in the first two, Pacino is the master of it in these movies. Little facial expressions, etc. Its like he isn't acting, he IS Michael. The whole transformation of his character is awesome.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I don't hate 3 as much as most do. It is not nearly as well made or done as the first two, no argument there, and there is some bad acting.

For me, the greatest sin of G3 is casting. Just horrible. George Hamilton, Sophia Coppola, Eli Wallach, the SNL guy, and others were extremely poor choices. But IMO, the worst was Andy Garcia, who was just awful. Completely miscast, plus he is not that great of an actor.

Add poor writing to the mix, and one can see that Francis was just doing it for the quick much needed buck. A wasted opportunity.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16670 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:

For me, the greatest sin of G3 is casting. Just horrible. George Hamilton, Sophia Coppola, Eli Wallach, the SNL guy, and others were extremely poor choices. But IMO, the worst was Andy Garcia, who was just awful. Completely miscast, plus he is not that great of an actor.

Add poor writing to the mix, and one can see that Francis was just doing it for the quick much needed buck. A wasted opportunity.

I thought Winona Ryder was supposed to play Mary, but had a conflict. That would have been interesting. Sophia is definitely the weak link in "3".

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
" leave the gun, take the cannoli " Clemenza
HK Ag

Maybe the second-most-famous line from The Godfather-- was improvised. Coppola gave the actors a lot of leeway to improvise.

--------------------------------------------

Lord Vaalic: "Its like he isn't acting, he IS Michael."

That's the idea of "method acting." Lee Strasburg, "Hyman Roth," was one of the great proponents, and ran a famous acting school in NYC. A few years before "The Godfather," Strasburg had turned down a young applicant who auditioned for acceptance to his school-- Al Pacino. Strasburg was a teacher, a coach, and I think that "Hyman Roth" was the only role he actually played.

Filming was held up about half-way through Godfather 2 because Pacino needed to be hospitalized for "exhaustion." If he wasn't literally "Michael," he was so close that the experience drained him emotionally and mentally.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
You think this is like the army where you shoot em a mile away? No, you get up close and Bada Bing! You blow their brains all over your nice ivy league suit.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
"The Godfather" is on AMC tonight at 8:00 EST

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4571 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, AMC will chop it up with commercials.

Posts: 107490 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just thought I'd needlessly mention the beautiful musical scores to these movies. "The Immigrant" theme from G2 is especially moving.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I have never seen a Godfather movie start to finish. Just caught bits and pieces on edited for TV versions, and YouTube. Just checked and neither Amazon Prime nor Netflix have them.

If the offer is still good, I'll take LV up on his offer.

They are yours... send me your address and we will fix your Godfather ignorance!! Forget the TV versions the real thing is on the way.

I actually don't hate part 3 as much as most do.
LV,
Thank you for mailing me the Godfather series. I found the cinemetography, acting, and musical score to be first rate. I liked the first two a lot, but the third installment needed a better plot.

The final verdict on the trilogy is that Star Wars IV, V, and VI (aka A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi) remain my favorite trilogy. I like science fiction better than mob movies.

Thanks again.
~Todd
quote:
Originally posted by motor59:
Tatortodd-
I guess I'm next in line behind you. Have to admit that I've never watched any of the trilogy from start to finish; just bits and pieces here and there.
You have e-mail.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23210 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Reply sent.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3141 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
I have not seen the movies.

I have played the video games though.

So in a way I have seen the movies by proxy?

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Since I linked to the Sollozzo/McCluskey assassination scene on the first page of this thread, I've been dreaming of having dinner at Louis Italian-American Restaurant. A small salad, some nice Chianti, and some veal (the best in the city) with a little pasta. There's some good Italian places nearby, but it's a shame not to be able to go to Louis'.

I'd prefer to be there when Michael Corleone was away.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guardianangel762:
I have not seen the movies.

I have played the video games though.

So in a way I have seen the movies by proxy?

No Wink

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know where these are? I'm still hoping to watch them (I posted on page 1). Thanks!

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Leave the gun – take the cannoli."

An all time classic scene and line in a trilogy of films full of classics.

These movies are some of the most entertaining stories put to film.

Posts: 542 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
At Louis Restaurant, the fried calamari is a real killer.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watch 1 and 2 once or twice a year.

I have not seen 3.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post