SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any members here who have not seen the Godfather movies?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any members here who have not seen the Godfather movies? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
The movie is filled with unforgettable moments. But the one that lately really touches me is almost at the end of Godfather II. Michael talks with Fredo in the room overlooking Lake Tahoe. Fredo is reclining in a chair, but it is not a relaxed pose, it is a posture of complete submission and humiliation. Michael stands through almost the whole talk. And he tells Fredo that he is nothing to him now, and that he never wants to see him again. It is a vicious tongue-lashing, most of it delivered in a cold, utterly impersonal tone of voice. And as Michael strides out, past the supine Fredo, without so much as a glance, Fredo calls out in a small, childish voice, "Mikey!"

I tear up every time I hear it. And like Para I can't even count how many times I've watched the film.

For me the scene at their mom's wake, Mike walks in and hugs Fredo, and nods to Nero. And even this cold blooded hitman just looks down like "damn, that's cold"

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Outnumbered:
Does anyone know where these are? I'm still hoping to watch them (I posted on page 1). Thanks!

Not sure who has them now

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
Netflix has all 3 right now. I dont know how long it will last.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1st one only

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I think the first two Godfather movies were inspired, and I mean that in the classical sense. The ancient Greeks thought that great art came from "the muses," divine beings who acted through human artists. It's an idea that can be misunderstood, because I think they considered these "divine beings" to dwell within the human nervous system of the artist. To me, it was a way of describing powerful human creative energies, that an artist can tap into, can "bring out" in his or her art.

This is especially evident-- you can see it unfold-- in the performing arts. I could talk about the whole of I and II in these terms, but if you want to see another perfect example of it, watch this music video featuring Fats Domino, Ray Charles and Jerry Lee Lewis, shot in the 80s in New Orleans.

You can see the music sort of take over with its own life. It is the most incredible performance of "Jambalaya" you will ever hear.

Here's what I mean by the music taking over: Paul Shaffer put together this tribute to Fats Domino. But the night of the performance the air conditioning broke down in the club. The temperature inside the club was well over 100. Ray Charles said it was too fucking hot to perform, and he wanted to go home. Fats was pissed because he was slated to come onstage last, and he thought he should come on first, since this was his night. Jerry Lee Lewis said well, screw it, if these other two don't want to perform, I'm leaving.

Shaffer somehow held it all together. He gets the set going by saying, "Ray Charles, how do you feel this evening?" ------------------And then, the powers of music take over. Call it "inspiration" or "genius" or whatever. If you watch this, you will see what I mean.

Turn the sound way up. Big Grin

(Yes, that is Ron Wood on guitar. And you can see him throughout with this "Holy shit!!" expression on his face.)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xc62vt

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I must fess up. After being on this planet for 62 plus years I have not seen the series. I have seen parts of it here and there but never immersed myself in it. The whole genre does not appeal to me, however I think I may have watched Goodfellas from start to finish I won't swear to it though.

The mob/gangster genre I find unappealing. The same with pirates/swashbuckling genre. Just doesn't do it for me.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerBook
posted Hide Post
I have never seen any of them.

Posts: 1777 | Location: Ashburn, VA USA | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I've never seen em.

I haven't seen any, because of lack of interest.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
I've seen both of them, several times.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Very cool of Lord V to offer this up! I've seen 1&2 many times, nothing I can say that hasn't been said, amazing classics. Honestly can't say the same of the 3rd. Another classic thread!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never, It simply was not a movie series I thought i would be interested in.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
The mob/gangster genre I find unappealing.

I feel the same way about that genre. Simply not interested in it--along with thrillers, horror movies, romances, rom-coms, musicals or any movie about sports of any kind--especially boxing, amongst others.

quote:
The same with pirates/swashbuckling genre. Just doesn't do it for me.

Pirates of the Caribbean? How can you not like Capt. Jack Sparrow? Smile

There are some movies of genres I generally shun that I've liked. Harlem Nights would be an exception to my gangster genre dislike. As would Chicago for musicals and Along Came Polly for rom-coms. (Besides: Jennifer Anniston Big Grin)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
The mob/gangster genre I find unappealing.

I feel the same way about that genre. Simply not interested in it--along with thrillers, horror movies, romances, rom-coms, musicals or any movie about sports of any kind--especially boxing, amongst others.

quote:
The same with pirates/swashbuckling genre. Just doesn't do it for me.

Pirates of the Caribbean? How can you not like Capt. Jack Sparrow? Smile

There are some movies of genres I generally shun that I've liked. Harlem Nights would be an exception to my gangster genre dislike. As would Chicago for musicals and Along Came Polly for rom-coms. (Besides: Jennifer Anniston Big Grin)

I'm probably missing out on good movies just by dismissing them out of hand based on whether I like the genre or not.
However Smokey and the Bandit is on CMT right now. Good movie! Cool

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm probably missing out on good movies just by dismissing them out of hand based on whether I like the genre or not.

You really ought to check out Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. It's not your typical pirate movie. Not even remotely close.

quote:

Not a Burt Reynolds fan. Not in any movie in which I've ever seen him.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

You really ought to check out Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. It's not your typical pirate movie. Not even remotely close.

quote:

Not a Burt Reynolds fan. Not in any movie in which I've ever seen him.

Burt is a icon he won't be with us much longer sadly. You don't like Deliverance?? Smokey and the Bandit spans generations of fans. Jackie Gleasons finest work! A true brain candy movie like Clint Eastwood's Every Which Way But Loose. One of my favorites.

Quick story. I became acquainted with the guy who co wrote Pale Rider along with some of Eastwood's other movies. He asked me one day what my favorite Eastwood movie was and I sheepishly said Every Which Way But Loose was near the top. He got a kick out of that. He said they had written a screenplay for Clint to do another in the Dirty Harry series.
To their surprise Clint declined to do another Dirty Harry. He said he wanted to do something totally different which is how Every Which Way But Loose came to be.

The Dirty Harry script was rewritten for Chuck Norris and became A Force Of One iirc.