SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any members here who have not seen the Godfather movies?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any members here who have not seen the Godfather movies? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Haven't seen the Godfather films? That's like saying you've never seen titties.

Well sheeet! I've seen plenty of titties in my 70 years. Para, I don't see how your analogy has any merit! hehehehehe

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well it made you giggle, anyway.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107509 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If it's the DVD set I'm thinking of, it's great. Not only do you have the three films, there are lots of supplemental materials, including deleted scenes.

I've had the set since it first came out around 2001/02.

Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
I've tried to watch them several times after hearing how good they are but man I can't get into it and always end up turning it off. I love Scareface on the other hand.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Never seen any. Never seen ET either.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks to this thread I have the box set on the way. This forum is a bad influence. At least that's what my wife says.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
As you watch the movie time after time, it keeps opening itself to you, the genius of it. You notice at various points details that you missed in earlier viewings: maybe, for example, in the scene in Michael's office, when the senator shakes him down for a quarter million dollars for a gaming license, Michael says, "Senator, you can have my answer now, if you'd like. My offer is this: Nothing." His voice is level, controlled-- but the chair he is sitting on is shaking very slightly, almost imperceptibly.

When you notice it, you realize it's one of the masterful little touches that convey the rage that is almost always boiling inside Michael, and the cool, cerebral exterior that masks it. Almost perfectly. Except when the rage gives itself away in tiny hints.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen I and II, great movies. The Cuba stuff is terrific, the young kid on the steps of the hospital with Mike.

The good-bye to Tessio, Paulie backing out of the driveway, the scene in Italy where Mike and the girl are taking a walk and the girl's family is about 50 feet back as chaperones.

I know English, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday, Saturday Smile

Fantastic films.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I am Enzo! The Baker!

You know any good-a spots onna West Side?

Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
For those of y'all who haven't seen the films:

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
If it's the DVD set I'm thinking of, it's great. Not only do you have the three films, there are lots of supplemental materials, including deleted scenes.

I've had the set since it first came out around 2001/02.

It is the collectors edition with the extras. On its way to a Godfather noob as we speak!

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I would still kill to get a copy of the Godfather Saga version, part 1 & 2 put together in order with about an hour of added scenes, and it's truly awesome.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wishbone:
I've tried to watch them several times after hearing how good they are but man I can't get into it and always end up turning it off. I love Scareface on the other hand.

Comparing Scarface to The Godfather is like comparing Paul Revere & The Raiders to The Beatles Razz

Like Para, I have watched G1 and G2 dozens of times, both have been regular X-Mas movies since VHS tape. Still to this day when I make meatballs and gravy, I usually put The Godfather into the DVD player while I cook. It is one of the few movies that I never tired of.

IMO, the 3 landmark films in American history are Birth of a Nation, Citizen Kane, and The Godfather. I'm still waiting for the fourth...

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Read the books (a long time ago) but never have seen the whole movies, just snippets. Looking, I see a three disk set with the three movies and a five disk set labeled "The Coppola Restoration". Is this the collector's edition folks are mentioning?

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still to this day when I make meatballs and gravy,

You must be an Eye-talian Oddball. The "gravy" gives it away. Wink

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I've seen GFI & GFII. I've never seen the third. Great movies, along with Goodfellas.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
My man card should be revoked because I've never watched any of The Godfather series or was interested in other mob movies or TV shows.

Just like I'd love to follow Longmire, the drama with Indians GREATLY turns me off just like Italian/Sicilian mob family dramas.

However, I love John Wick taking out the organized crimers in a hyper-violent way. Keep up the good work, Mr. Wick!

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1164 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
IMO, the 3 landmark films in American history are Birth of a Nation, Citizen Kane, and The Godfather. I'm still waiting for the fourth...

Gone With the Wind??

[/drift]

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
All you guys who say you haven't seen two of the very finest films ever made- next time you're sitting in front of the TV, flipping through the garbage that passes for programming these days, just think what you could be watching.

It's like saying "I've never tasked steak or bacon. I might get around to it someday."

posted Hide Post
Mercy, mercy, UNCLE! I'm on the list! Wink

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post