SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    BLM activist and Confederate Flag protester shot and killed in New Orleans...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BLM activist and Confederate Flag protester shot and killed in New Orleans... Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
KARMA???

http://www.al.com/news/index.s...ter_activist_wh.html

A prominent Black Lives Matter activist was shot and killed Tuesday, apparently while riding his bicycle in New Orleans, authorities said.

Muhiydin Moye, 32, who became a notable figure in the Black Lives Matter movement after the fatal police shooting of Walter Scott in South Carolina, gained national attention last year when he hurled himself onto a Confederate flag on live television in Charleston, South Carolina. (His first name has also been spelled as Muhiyidin and Muhiyyidin by different police departments, family and friends.)

Moye, who used the last name d'Baha, was shot in the thigh in the early morning hours Tuesday and rushed to a nearby hospital, where he died of his injuries, New Orleans police spokesman Beau Tidwell said in a statement. Police are currently investigating the incident, which has been classified as aggravated battery. No suspect has yet been named.

Officers responded about 1:30 a.m. to call about a man who was lying down on the ground on Bienville Street asking for help, according to a police report.

When the officers arrived, they found him on his back - bleeding, according to the report. They spotted a black mountain bike across the street "covered in blood along the right side of the bike," the report said.

Moye was rushed to a hospital, police said.

Moye's niece, Camille Weaver, wrote on a GoFundMe page that about 9 a.m., "we received a phone call saying that he had died due to excessive blood loss."

By Wednesday afternoon, the page had raised more than $19,000 to help cover the costs to transport his body from New Orleans to Charleston and also pay for funeral and memorial expenses, according to the GoFundMe page.

"I can say that our family is beyond appreciative for the outpouring of love and support we've received today," Weaver wrote Tuesday night. "Moya was a light and he will shine on forever."

In February 2017, Moye was captured on video breaking through two strands of police tape outside the College of Charleston and lunging at a Confederate flag.

That incident occurred not long before fellow activist Bree Newsome was scheduled to speak at the school. Newsome made headlines of her own in 2015 when she removed the Confederate flag from the South Carolina statehouse.

After Moye's actions last year, he was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, as his televised moment went viral on social media, according to reports.

Moye said demonstrators had read that people from the South Carolina Secessionist Party were attending Newsome's speech so they wanted to send them a clear message: "We will not receive that kind of intimidation."

"We just really wanted to assure her that she was going to be safe in coming, that people that want to come and hear her speak will be able to come and hear her speak," he said at the time.

Moye said he was speaking with "elders" when he noticed the Secessionists.

"And I looked at our elders and I saw, like, fear in their eyes," he said. "And I saw them back up, almost. That was the moment for me. We're not going to pass this on another generation. Not another generation of people are going to be intimidated by this flag."

Moye said he grabbed the Confederate flag to help the group "understand what it is to meet a real resistance, to meet people that aren't scared."

Following the news Tuesday that Moye had died, Thomas Dixon, a pastor and political activist, remembered Moye as a "brother" and "soldier."

"For all who have stood on the battlefield of social justice activism in the Lowcountry and throughout our State, we've lost a great brother to senseless gun violence today," Dixon, who co-founded the activist group The Coalition: People United To Take Back Our Community, wrote Tuesday on Facebook.

"Moya Moye, I am eternally grateful to you and for you . . . for your spirit that refused to accept injustice, your courage that showed the world that fear in the face of wrong was not an option, and your strength that kept you on the battlefield, even when no one else was there. I will forever miss you, my brother. I, for one, know just how much you enriched my life. Soldiers together . . . forever."

"Whoever did this to Muhiyyidin will never know what they took from the world. Hear him . . . " Dixon wrote in a subsequent post, linking to a 2017 documentary in which Moye spoke about African-Americans' fight for emancipation in South Carolina.

"Having a national identity is still something we're hunting for," Moye told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. "Unfortunately can't just say that we're American if we don't get to experience the freedom and the liberties and the equity of that. So the strategic move to keep our history - especially our history of resistance, rebellion and fight for a liberation - to keep that history silent and out of our waking consciousness is deliberate and strategic."

Brandon Fish, who identified himself as a friend of Moye in a Facebook post on Tuesday, called Moye's death "a random act of violence."

Fish, who said he was in "total shock," explained that he was told a "dear friend, and one of Charleston's most important and beloved grassroots leaders, Muhiyyidin D'baha," had been killed in New Orleans.

"He had so much life and energy and intellectual curiosity and capacity and love and positive energy," Fish wrote. "The last thing he said to me was that he was doing community work out of town and that he was learning so that he could come back to Charleston and help empower the people.

"He was loved by all of his friends and respected by all those who want to see social and racial justice in Charleston. We all have lost so much, so very much, whether you know it or not. This world was a better place because he walked around in it (barefoot, so he could feel the vibrations of the Earth of course). Please respect the family during this time as more information comes out. I am more sad than I can express in words, and my hands are still shaking as I type this post, but I thought Moya's friends should know."

Newsome said she was "still without words."

"Waiting for more news & details," Newsome wrote early Wednesday on Twitter. "Thoughts & prayers to his family and community."

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What took so long?

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
So wait here. Nothing about the suspects in this shooting. I'd guess they're seeking an older white guy who supported Trump. Who else would shoot a black guy riding his bike in the hood? I mean who else shoots others in the hood? Oh wait. I'm confused here. The guy got deadified.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Those damn Amish at it again...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who says there is no good news coming out of NOLA?
Black Lives Matter?
No so much in Treme!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
sounds like a CAT-T tourniquet would have mattered, if someone would have activated it.

Not that I expect to get shot in the leg, but I have a few tourniquets handy (range bag, car, work bag)...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Wow, I figured after taking down the statue of Robert E. Lee (in LEE CIRCLE), all of the violence in New Orleans was supposed to end. Was I wrong?

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
d'Bahahahahahahahahahaha

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Those damn Amish at it again...

No no no no no.....it's the Oklahoma Southern Baptists.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
We've lost a real prophet.

Posts: 1967 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
d'Bahahahahahahahahahaha

ok, you win the internet today

seriously, that 'last name' was just crying for this one Big Grin

but seriously, am I supposed to be sad?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Ill admit, I couldn’t read sny further than “social justice battlefield”

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Yeah... I'm sure they really "rushed" him to the hospital. Big Grin

AMF! Razz

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Some times the long way is smoother for the patient.

quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Yeah... I'm sure they really "rushed" him to the hospital. Big Grin

AMF! Razz

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I am all verklempt.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
1:30 am? What were you doing riding around on your mountain bike at 1:30 am?

I see a lot of John was just walking home from the bar at some hour between midnight and 5 am when he was [shot/run over by a drunk/beaten/robbed/raped/assulted/etc]! At 1:30 in the freakin morning you should have been in your home, in bed and asleep. Maybe it’s just me, but the only time I’ve ever been out at that time of the morning, I was working and I wasn’t happy about it.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
What took so long?

Damn Para! Just the exact words I thought of when I read the title.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
A prominent Black Lives Matter activist was shot and killed Tuesday, apparently while riding his bicycle in New Orleans, authorities said.

Huh.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There he was, just riding around minding his own business, when all of a sudden...yeah, right.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Some times the long way is smoother for the patient.

Well it was probably the only way. BLM might have been blocking traffic on the roads. Big Grin

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post