SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend A Reputable Small Engine Source?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend A Reputable Small Engine Source? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I need a particular small engine. Factory and distribution chain is out of stock and quoting anywhere from six weeks to three months.

Tried Jack's Small Engines and OPE Engines. No luck. Only place I found it is a place called brandnewengines.com. The only feedback I've found on them is all exceedingly negative.

Any recommendations?

Engine in question, btw, is a Kohler CH620-3132. It's a replacement engine for a Walker brand mower.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bourbon goes in and
Knowledge comes out
Picture of majik61
posted Hide Post
Try Northern Tool.

----------------------------------Why worry and hurry through life? You can't come out of it alive.

Posts: 185 | Location: Florence SC | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kohler CH620-3132

Harbor Freight they have some on sale might have one for you

https://www.harborfreight.com/...engines/engines.html

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by majik61:
Try Northern Tool.

Thanks, but they have only the "generic" version of the engine, rather than the one specific for this application.

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Kohler CH620-3132

Harbor Freight they have some on sale might have one for you

Thanks, but nope. Has to be the exact Kohler part number I cited.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago I ended up at https://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/ for a new mower engine.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Walker brand mower

Looks to be in stock here

https://www.theoempartsstore.c...H-PA-CH620-3132.html

Waiting for a call back from them to find out if it actually is in stock.

quote:

Mentioned them in my OP.

quote:

I'll give 'em a call. Thanks!

Most of these guys aren't actually stocking distributors or retailers.

quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
A couple of years ago I ended up at https://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/ for a new mower engine.

Thanks for the lead, but "On order: 8, Available for drop-ship. Get notified when available."

quote:

That's OPE Engines. Noted in my OP. Already talked to them. They don't have them in stock. Nor do their distributors.

Thanks for the suggestions, all.

posted Hide Post
Can you get the old one rebuilt?

Posts: 12575 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry. It said it was in stock, I thought.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Can you get the old one rebuilt?

Anything's possible, but this was a poor engine design. And apparently poorly-manufactured, too. That's why it's being replaced.

Regional Walker rep. suggested I might have one of the last of their mowers with that engine still in it and running. (Walker service rep. said that was an exaggeration.)

I think all but one of the major service events on my mower have been engine-related.

quote:
Originally posted by petr:
Sorry. It said it was in stock, I thought.

No worries. Thanks for the suggestion, anyway. (They actually don't list a stock status.)

Well, as of yesterday late afternoon (prevening, as Sheldon Cooper would say), I've run out of places to try. I guess I'll have to retrieve the mower, use it as-is, and pray the engine holds up until a new one shows up.

Thanks, again, everybody, for the suggestions.

If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Surplus Center has random engines at decent prices.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Acme Tools

https://www.acmetools.com/shop...xPrice:&pageSize:24&

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Any lawn boys going tits up in your area. Auctions? Perhaps you could bid a used one to get by.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post