SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Leaf Blower - Ryobi VS Kobalt or does it matter? - UPDATED
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leaf Blower - Ryobi VS Kobalt or does it matter? - UPDATED Login/Join 
posted
I want to replace my corded Black and Decker with a cordless blower and am currently looking at both Kobalt and Ryobi 40V units. From a spec standpoint they are almost identical (mph is same and cfm is slightly higher on Ryobi. Price is about $15.00 off with Kobaly being slightly cheaper.

Anyone have any experience with either?

UPDATE - First of all, thanks for the input. I went out last night and bought both the units I was considering, if anyone cares here are my findings...

They are both very well built and the Ryobi feels heavier than the Kobalt. I liked the adjustable handle on the Ryobi but there were things I liked about the Kobalt as well. What it came down to was a semi scientific test using a weighed cardboard box where the Ryobi seemed to blow much harder that the Kobalt crowning it the winner

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kevmo,

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
EGO is the brand I moved to, interchangeable batteries between equipment, so if one job is taking longer I can use the others battery if it runs short, which so far it's rarely done.

EGO blower has some serious CFM, so that would be my suggestion over either of the others since I don't have one of those.

Kobalt has a good rep, it's basically a Greenworks blower with a Kobalt body...

Posts: 23224 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I have a Ryobi 40v blower and it's great. It's ridiculous how much lighter it is than the gas blowers I was used to and how much more powerful it was than the old Black and Decker corded units.

I also have a Ryobi 40v mower, string trimmer, and some other stuff. I have found them to be outstanding.

Look for sales around holidays at Home Depot. I bought mine at a decent discount.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4190 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
We got EGO 56V leaf blower/chainsaw/trimmer a few years ago, and they've been great.

Posts: 14998 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
We got EGO 56V leaf blower/chainsaw/trimmer a few years ago, and they've been great.

Yeah, I looked at those but a little more than i want to spend...both the units i mentioned are in the 140-150 range

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of the Kobalt 24v tools. However last fall my mom wanted a new battery blower, weight was a big issue here. In doing some research on Lowes site when looking at replacement batteries for the kobalt 40v system it looks like ratings are not very good so I would avoid anything in the 40v Kobalt line for now.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
I'm a fan of the Kobalt 24v tools. However last fall my mom wanted a new battery blower, weight was a big issue here. In doing some research on Lowes site when looking at replacement batteries for the kobalt 40v system it looks like ratings are not very good so I would avoid anything in the 40v Kobalt line for now.

Good to know on the batteries

Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
Last year went all Husqvarna 36 volt. Mower, blower, chainsaw and hedge trimmer - Blower is awesome, and one battery for all.

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Ryobi 40 volt here, for about the last 5 years. Great for blowing the pool deck off and the circle drive after mowing. 15-20 minutes on a charge.

Batteries not cheap though, so I have bought a few other tools, edger, weedwacker, and chainsaw that had included batteries so I can spread them around. Love the chainsaw and the edger works good as long as the yard is not wet. Clay soil clogs the blade shroud.

If I have serious volume to move I go to my Stihl gas blower.

Posts: 1550 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I'm right here with the Ryobi stuff. I have the 20" push mower and the hedge cutters also. The tools have been great and I use them a lot. I did have one battery die in one year though that was 2 years ago. I have 4 other batteries that are still going strong and I have't had to buy gas or deal with a gas motor (small yard equipment wise anyway) I have a Gas power zero turn for the big yard.

quote:
Originally posted by BigWhup:
Ryobi 40 volt here, for about the last 5 years. Great for blowing the pool deck off and the circle drive after mowing. 15-20 minutes on a charge.

Batteries not cheap though, so I have bought a few other tools, edger, weedwacker, and chainsaw that had included batteries so I can spread them around. Love the chainsaw and the edger works good as long as the yard is not wet. Clay soil clogs the blade shroud.

If I have serious volume to move I go to my Stihl gas blower.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:

Yeah, I looked at those but a little more than i want to spend...both the units i mentioned are in the 140-150 range

The EGO blower is consistently rated better than the other battery powered blowers out there. It's worth $30 more. I have blower/trimmer/chainsaw & couldn't be happier.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Also FWIW Keep in mind not all blowers come with battery and charger. Some also only come with a battery and no charger so read carefully what is included on the box.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I replaced my corded Black & Decker with an EGO blower. Had it for like 3 years. Best thing I ever did. My roof has a fairly shallow pitch so I can walk on it. The blower is great up there blowing leaves out of the gutters

Posts: 461 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The EGO blower is consistently rated better than the other battery powered blowers out there. It's worth $30 more. I have blower/trimmer/chainsaw & couldn't be happier.

Its so good I thought it was made by Toyota!

Yes imho it's worth the extra money if you can swing it, go into Ace Hardware, they probably have one charged up and give it a try, you'll see where the difference goes.

Otherwise, any of the others are similar B&D, Kobalt, Greenwise,

Posts: 23224 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
That EGO chainsaw the real deal?

Posts: 13732 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They all work about the same if you are looking at comparable power models. I would look at other battery powered tools that you might want in the future from the same manufacturer. I bought a Dewalt because of that and it works excellent. It pretty hard to screw up a blower. They all use the same type of batteries and electric motors. There’s really not much to any of them.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

EGO, the 56V stuff is an animal and night and days ahead of Ryobi and the other one...... You can find them on sale if you look hard enough...... Also either HD or Lowes has the blower and weedeater with a battery or 2 and charger and it's a better deal for slightly more money than just buying the blower alone.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I have a Ryobi 40v. Works pretty well, if your yard is small and you don’t have a lot of leaves.

Bought my dad a EGO Power 650. It’s worth the extra money over the Ryobi. No comparison. It’s not even close. The EGO is in a class by itself when it comes to cordless blowers.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
I have a Ryobi 40v. Works pretty well, if your yard is small and you don’t have a lot of leaves.

Bought my dad a EGO Power 650. It’s worth the extra money over the Ryobi. No comparison. It’s not even close. The EGO is in a class by itself when it comes to cordless blowers.

I ended up with the Ryobi...I do not have a huge yard and the only reason I even wanted a 40V is that the smaller ones have a hrad time pushing leaves out of my gravel