SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Marine recruiter just left the house...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marine recruiter just left the house... Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I didn't know recruiters made house calls.

Your son is about to take a big step along his future path. May he find success!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
It sounds like he will be going in some way or another. As posted, I’d be proud also as a parent. Many could benefit.

There are options, sounds like he graduates next Spring? If so no real hurry. If there are thoughts towards an Officer program think about an enlistment in the Marine Reserves then on to college with partial help with $$.

There are the other National Guard & Reserve programs to think about. Even with a 6 year commitment, one can duck out at any time for active duty. The Guard/Reserves are best if a college degree is on the near horizon. Trying to do college while active duty is difficult.

If he has his heart & mind set on enlisting in the Marines, nothing wrong with that. You know him & his makeup better than the rest of us.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:

It may go without saying, but if he want to go the ROTC route first, he doesn't need to sign on the dotted line. Get accepted to college, then join the ROTC program. If that doesn't pan out, he can enlist and rock on.

As dusty said, MECP and ECP slots were rare, and likely still are.

Good luck to your son either way.

This. +100.

What does he want to do? Be an officer? Be an enlisted man? Either is fine for the right reasons. Just make sure you are choosing the right path.

I was ROTC in college and it was a great experience and pathway to commissioned service.

The main thing - like any big decision - is 'know before you buy'. Because once you sign - nobody remembers 'verbal promises'.

--------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
No matter what he chooses, advise him to stick with his PT even after he separates.

God bless the Marines, but it saddens me to see so many former guardians of Heaven's scenes trying to carry a gut that spills over their waistband...

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
I enlisted at 17, turned 18 up north, signed up early, grunteed Infantry.
You enlist to serve your country, not yourself.

This. If you get the MOS you want, great. I see no mention of ASVAB scores here-the higher your scores the more options you have. For all prospects, study the damn ASVAB. But service comes first and no matter the MOS, the benefits of military service will last the young man a lifetime

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

The main thing - like any big decision - is 'know before you buy'. Because once you sign - nobody remembers 'verbal promises'.

There tends to be some confusion about an MOS being changed. A lot of people tend to think that it only happens if you don't have your MOS request in writing. I had a written and signed contract with my MOS on it. Not a verbal contract, a real written one with a "guaranteed" job. I even had my ship date pushed twice because the dates for my school didn't work out.

But in that contract that I signed I distinctly remember a line that I initialed that said my MOS could get changed based on the needs of the Marine Corps. That line may be gone now but I doubt it very much. I asked about it and the recruiter at MEPS told me that it could happen but it was rare. I initialed the line and I signed the contract so I don't blame anyone else as I knew what I was doing. But it did catch me off-guard because nobody had told me about it until I read sitting in the office at MEPS. I had heard stories of people not getting the job they wanted but was always led to believe it was only people who didn't have their MOS in their contract.

If I had it to do all over again, even knowing the outcome, I would. If God himself came down and told me that he would send me back to that day and I could be a tanker if I went into the Army instead of the USMC I would still join the Marines. I am not as salty about it as my first post may lead you to believe and I certainly didn't suffer morale issues for it. And I am not trying to talk you or your kid out of joining. I think it is the greatest thing a young man can do and I hope my son does the same. But I do think it is important for him to go in with his eyes wide open. If he is going to join for a specific MOS he needs to know that in order to join he will probably have to initial a little line that says he might not get that MOS and that he probably won't be told about that line until the paperwork is laid in front of him at MEPS. And that the chance he doesn't get the MOS that he even put in writing is very real. Maybe it is rare but they wouldn't put the line in there if they didn't use it from time to time.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Just don’t suffer morale problems if things turn out different. Make the best of it!

Wise words, JALLEN. Not just for the Marines, but for life.

Posts: 8614 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my day I spent twenty-six months and some odd days deployed out side the territorial limits of the United States of a forty-eight month active duty enlistment. Sgt-E5, Two years inactive reserve. Transferable job skills questionable. Lingering disability issues hearing and Agent Orange exposure VA compensated.

Would I do it again questionable.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend that your son decides if he wants to be an Officer or an Enlisted man. Both are good, both are different. If you want to really learn a trade, get your hands dirty and be where the rubber meets the road, go enlisted. If you want to be the boss and potentially spend most of your time writing OPORDS, reports, memos with small chunks of real leadership opportunities mixed in become an officer.

As mentioned above, if you sign with the recruiter you are probably going to boot camp. The Army had a program where you could enlist and apply for West Point (I know a guy who did it). I don't know what the Marine options are.

If he is interested in becoming a Marine officer there is the ROTC option, there is also the OCS option. Go to The Marine Officer Web page. Back when I was still in college the Marine OCS recruiter would come through the job fairs advertising.

If the ROTC or OCS options don't work, he can still enlist.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Next month I will have been out 19 years. I was a Sgt when I got out. I was able to escape the fate of the terminal LCpl since I had picked up Cpl meritoriously not long before I ended up in the infantry. Many, many Marines get stuck at LCpl (paygrade E-3) through no fault of their own the way the promotion system works.

This guy captures life (somewhat satirically but way more truth than fiction) of an enlisted Marine better than anyone before or since.

https://terminallance.com/archives/

I love this one about officers -

https://terminallance.com/2010...s-platoon-commander/

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for your son wanting to serve.
When I re-enlisted this time I went for an MOS to help me on the outside.

Now, I am trying to re-class to a Medical Slot or a Combat arms slot.

Way way way back when, a group of us (6 guys) went and checked out the Marines. 4 went USMC, I went Army and two went US Navy and chose Corpsman and got stationed with the USMC.

I was all set to sign but back then they wouldn't guarantee a slot and I was looking to be a Combat Engineer.

If I was young again, and just enlisting I would choose a position to break, blow and destroy items that do not belong to me: Combat Engineers, Infantry, Light Armor Recon.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Strangely
Persuasive Monster
Picture of Swain0351
posted Hide Post
MECEP is a phenomenal program.

Had 2 COs who'd gone through it to get commissioned. If I'd have known it was an option I would've selected it as well.

"Arguing with a fool is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, shit on the board, and strut around like it's victorious." ~Anonymous

Posts: 10359 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
The fact your son wants to be a Marine says a lot about his character and up bringing. Just a word of advice for him, their are three Marines you should not trust, a recruiter, a career planner and most of all your monitor. LOL. Semper Fi.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Good for him. Congratulations.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Becoming a marine is a very worthy endeavor. I'm absolutely convinced that nearly all young people could benefit fromm military service. However, never trust a recruiter. Seriously, those guys lie so much they even convince themselves.

Posts: 1967 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
I enlisted at 17, turned 18 up north, signed up early, grunteed Infantry.
You enlist to serve your country, not yourself.

Yeah, I went in at 17, too. Enlisted to be a tank driver and go to Germany. Ended up in the armored infantry and went to Germany. Recruiter lied his ass off and assured me that when I signed the papers it was a done deal.

Turns out he lied, and he needed some Regular Army unassigned recruits to staff up the infantry. Turned out for the better for me which I discovered just how easy it was to destroy a tank.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
in case he needs any extra motivation before his decision - there is a very good 37 min USMC documentary on Netflix streaming currently

https://www.netflix.com/title/80217135

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mastrogiacomo
posted Hide Post
When I turned 18, I registered to vote, then signed my name to enlist in the Marines. I wasn't accepted because of my hearing loss but it was my first choice. You have a fine son, God Bless.

Luctor et Emergo

Posts: 194 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post