SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Marine recruiter just left the house...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marine recruiter just left the house... Login/Join 
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted
Youngest son has had his mind made up for a couple years.
Still 17, but he showed up with the recruiter unannounced this evening.
The recruiter was pretty low pressure, there may be a signing bonus depending on MOS I guess.
Signing up early may get a better shot at the job he wants.
I would have rather done a little research for him first, but I guess it will all work out.

Son wants to apply for the ROTC program, which apparently he can still do.
But if not accepted, he’s going enlisted anyway.

His mom wasn’t real happy about signing on short notice, but he’s on the way to being a man, just a little sooner than some I guess.

I’m a little worried, but still feel like celebrating.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Have him pick an MOS that guarantees a good job after he leaves the service. The sexy, exciting, hoorah jobs don’t translate well to civilian life.
ROTC, can he enlist and go to college? That would be best.
If the recruiter doesn’t put it in writing, it won’t happen.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
The way the recruiter explained it was going ahead and signing up would get him a little more consideration towards the ROTC side, but no guarantee. If accepted he would transfer over to that program.
He was going in either way, so I guess it doesn’t matter.
MEPS in a week or so

--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
No matter how I look at it, I cannot see anything bad in any of it.

"Sexy, Oorah!" jobs will likely only be important and meaningful to him, and a few lifelong friends. But, later in life, when it is him and the memories of his life, those memories will be solace few understand...

And if he goes "the other direction", he will have good tools to use lifelong, only a different set, not better, not worse.

Semper Fi!

Please shake his hand for me, and bid him Godspeed.

For God, Corps, and Country.

Ooooorah....

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Have him pick an MOS that guarantees a good job after he leaves the service. The sexy, exciting, hoorah jobs don’t translate well to civilian life.
ROTC, can he enlist and go to college? That would be best.
If the recruiter doesn’t put it in writing, it won’t happen.

I’ll disagree. You can’t blow shit up in a tank at a civilian job so you might as well take your first enlistment and do what you want. He can Lat-move out of combat arms into a REMF job after his first enlistment, if he qualifies at least. The reverse isn’t always true. Plus he will have plenty of opportunities to get an education both while on active duty and after he gets out.

I signed up as a tanker but got involuntarily moved into radio repair. I enjoyed my time in but I really didn’t want to fix radios. I tried like hell to lat-move into any combat arms job when the time for re-enlistment came up but my MOS was closed so I couldn’t. They’d rather lose me totally than let me do what I wanted. So I left. And yes that electronics education got me a great job when I left but when I was in electronics school I had three former infantry Marines in school with me who spent their first enlistment doing cool shit and their second one learning a trade. That I wasn’t allowed to do the same is one of the greatest disappointments of my life.

No matter what he chooses he’s got good taste in branches at least. Wink Semper Fi!

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I enlisted at 17, turned 18 up north, signed up early, grunteed Infantry.
You enlist to serve your country, not yourself.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Aren't more jobs supposed to open up due to fiscal year starting on 1 October?

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:

I think he’s fine with infantry, he really wants to be a Marine

Hasn’t said anything about MOS yet, probably doesn’t want his mom to worry
He made 1st Sgt in MJROTC last year, probably getting promoted again this year
Will that get him an extra rank going in ?

He definitely thinks he a meat-eater, I doubt he’s going in looking for a desk job lol

--Riff Raff--

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:

In the Marines, at least in the late 90’s guaranteed didn’t truly mean guaranteed. It meant “guaranteed as long as we don’t decide differently for you.” I was not the only guy in my class who didn’t sign up to fix radios. It might be different now but I doubt it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
cough “Air Wing” cough....

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
The way the recruiter explained it was going ahead and signing up would get him a little more consideration towards the ROTC side, but no guarantee. If accepted he would transfer over to that program.
He was going in either way, so I guess it doesn’t matter.
MEPS in a week or so

I was a Navy Recruiting Supervisor for 15 years and can tell you that if he enlists as a Marine he isn't going to school on an ROTC scholarship, he's going to boot camp.

There was a time where enlisted could apply for a scholarship and be released if accepted, for the most part those days are gone. They are having a hard time meeting recruiting goals, ROTC isn't a priority. Don't fall for this part of the sales pitch.

Regardless, being an enlisted Marine is something both you and he can be proud of for the rest of your lives. If it is what he wants to do I would support him and help him understand what an awesome thing he is doing. Something that very few of us do.

Congrats to your son.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son just signed up as well. I tried getting him in MCJROTC his freshman year, he didn't wan't any part of it, but the next year he started and has been all in since then. His Biological dad signed off for his enlistment this last week and my wife relented. She really wanted him to go to college, but that would not have been right for him now at all. He struggled when his mom and dad divorced when he was 7, grades, discipline, etc, but this has been great for him.
I, along with his instructors, told him this decision is the real deal now (his instructor said "joking time was over"). I know it will be tough but I am so proud. We are actually flying him out to San Diego for a classmates Basic graduation in a week or so for some more motivation.
I don't do stickers on my car, but God willing in about a year (gotta tackle HS Senior year then Basic) there will be Marine Corp paraphernalia on the car!

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hambony:
My son just signed up as well. I tried getting him in MCJROTC his freshman year, he didn't wan't any part of it, but the next year he started and has been all in since then. His Biological dad signed off for his enlistment this last week and my wife relented. She really wanted him to go to college, but that would not have been right for him now at all. He struggled when his mom and dad divorced when he was 7, grades, discipline, etc, but this has been great for him.
I, along with his instructors, told him this decision is the real deal now (his instructor said "joking time was over"). I know it will be tough but I am so proud. We are actually flying him out to San Diego for a classmates Basic graduation in a week or so for some more motivation.
I don't do stickers on my car, but God willing in about a year (gotta tackle HS Senior year then Basic) there will be Marine Corp paraphernalia on the car!

My son has been in MCJROTC since freshman year, and Master Gunny is probably the only reason he kept his grades halfway respectable.

Sounds like we’re in the same boat, nervous but proud!

--Riff Raff--

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Are recruiters promises ever fulfilled? Sorta kinda?

Just don’t suffer morale problems if things turn out different. Make the best of it!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats - I wish you all the best.

I will echo what has been said - if it is not written in the enlistment contract - it's not happening.

--------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Just don’t suffer morale problems if things turn out different. Make the best of it!

^^^

This man speaks the truth.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Other than you get to join the team, I don't think so. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig M11
posted Hide Post
I was a PLC Officer Candidate in '87 and '89...

Heat Stroke knocked me out in '89.

Had an Air ticket...

If I were doing it today...

I would look at this...

https://www.marines.mil/News/M...tional-field-occfld/

Posts: 1406 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Navy ROTC scholarship, Marine option.
You have to talk to a different recruiter who will be an officer! The regular recruiter at your regular recruiting office can't do squat for you to get this ball rolling.

Here is the link:
http://www.nrotc.navy.mil/marine.html

I tried this, didn't have the test scores and didn't get it. Ended up enlisting regular to get the GI Bill. I had zero money or parental support financially or otherwise to start my life, I chose the Corps.

I did score high enough and was able to contract as an aircraft mechanic, powerline F/A 18 A,B learned the C & D but never really got to work with them much. Got to do that a little, but BACA came along and my ass ended up in the infantry. Way more mechanics than there were billets for them or jets for them to work on.

I only knew two enlisted Marines who got into the MECEP (Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program). It is rare or at least it was in my day.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Son wants to apply for the ROTC program, which apparently he can still do.
But if not accepted, he’s going enlisted anyway.

Listen to LBTRS on this...

If he signs up, he's going to boot camp. Plain and simple.

I heard the exactly same line "signing up will get you a little more consideration towards a ROTC scholarship, but no guarantees" from a Navy recruiter 25 years ago. The word "enlist" was never mentioned.
I'd already been accepted to college and the NROTC College Program.
What he conveniently left out, until asked point blank, was that had I signed, I'd have been enlisting and going to Boot Camp and the Fleet, so college would have had to wait.

It may go without saying, but if he want to go the ROTC route first, he doesn't need to sign on the dotted line. Get accepted to college, then join the ROTC program. If that doesn't pan out, he can enlist and rock on.

As dusty said, MECP and ECP slots were rare, and likely still are.

Good luck to your son either way.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post