SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car Wash Soap Recommendations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car Wash Soap Recommendations Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
The foam cannons are the way to go, no need to fill up buckets with water, coat the vehicle with more soap than a full service car wash, let it sit and lift the dirt,

Use a clean wash mitt, soaked with soap from the cannon as well to clean the vehicle.

Finally rinse and then dry with an electric blower removes most of the water then towel dry.

https://www.autogeek.net/auqufofogun.html

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've looked at those online. It appears that Chemical Guys offers a very similar (might even be the same manufacturer) version called the Torq 6.

I know the serious detailers swear by their real pressure washer foam cannons. But I don't have a pressure washer. So are these lesser garden hose foam guns really worth the $50ish bucks over the traditional two bucket method?

Seems like it's the same concept, only with a soap gun plus a rinse bucket for the mitt, rather than a soap bucket for the mitt plus a rinse bucket for the mitt.

One bucket, not two, at the cost of $50ish?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
I just got this foam cannon and it seems to do the job for me at a fraction of the cost. I will be testing the harbor freight garden hose foam attachment once it stops raining.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
You can get a foam cannon at Wal-Mart for $15, it is a foam cannon, but it isn't very good, In fact I had two that had to go back because they failed after a couple of uses.

The Autogeek has 20% to 25% off discounts that you get in the email, sign up get the 25% off and buy it, or you can find a similar unit on Amazon.

As to the worth it? Depends, if you like washing vehicles but don't like the process of washing a car, buckets, multiple mitts, etc the foam cannon cuts the work down significantly.

Load the soap in the container, screw it on, turn on water, soap the crap out of the vehicle,
wash with mitt, rinse. Cuts the time down as well.

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bonfire:
I just got this foam cannon and it seems to do the job for me at a fraction of the cost. I will be testing the harbor freight garden hose foam attachment once it stops raining.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just yesterday used one of those for the first post Winter wash to remove any salt. It works very well.

Wax in the Fall, just water washes over Winter to not strip the wax.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
I use the meguiars spray wax and the meguiars fast finish about once a month. I have great results with this plan. They have a new hybrid ceramic wax I want to try next.

I did just go out and try the harbor frieght soap nozzle. Nothing near a foam cannon but it would do for a quick rinse.

https://www.meguiars.com/autom...g18309-85-oz-aerosol

https://www.meguiars.com/autom...-g17516-152-oz-spray

https://www.harborfreight.com/...sh-nozzle-60773.html

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I've looked at those online. It appears that Chemical Guys offers a very similar (might even be the same manufacturer) version called the Torq 6.

I know the serious detailers swear by their real pressure washer foam cannons. But I don't have a pressure washer. So are these lesser garden hose foam guns really worth the $50ish bucks over the traditional two bucket method?

Seems like it's the same concept, only with a soap gun plus a rinse bucket for the mitt, rather than a soap bucket for the mitt plus a rinse bucket for the mitt.

One bucket, not two, at the cost of $50ish?

I can’t suggest investing in an inexpensive power washer enough.
I have the cheap $15 Amazon foam cannon above and it is very adjustable.
Granted I already had a power washer but at 2 cars a week as weather allows the time savings is worth every penny.

I rinse with the power washer, spray with the foam cannon, let soak, wipe down with a microfiber mit, then rinse off again with the power washer.
I don’t get many water spots.

I use one bucket with a touch of soap and a dirt trap in the bottom.
I do the heavy dirt areas (Wheel wells and running boards) last and I will spray the mit with the hose to rinse the grit off.
Very quick wash. Off course if I have caked on stuff takes a little extra time.

Probably takes more time to get the power washer out, fill the bucket, then clean everything up then the actual wash.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Chemical Guys CWS_101 - Cherry with MATCC Adjustable Foam Cannon

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use the meguiars spray wax and the meguiars fast finish about once a month. I have great results with this plan. They have a new hybrid ceramic wax I want to try next.

Have used Meguiars Ultimate Spray wax all of last summer with good results. It's been my go to product until I tried the Hybrid Ceramic wax (only twice) and I'm very impressed. The initial application takes a little elbow grease but not as much as using the Ultimate Spray wax which as waxes go is pretty easy too. Subsequent applications are a breeze requiring only spray on a washed and still wet car, then hose off (pressure washer recommended but not necessary if you have good pressure from your hose) and dry.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I used the autogeek foam cannon that hooks up to a regular hose a few times last week before all this rain came. It's not bad, it foams up pretty nice. I'm using Chemical Guys Citrus as the foamer. I'm washing with the hydrosilex soap now.

I had to clay bar my roof on Thursday before I had it wrapped. It was too slick.

I'm going to invest in one of the electric pressure washers and get a pressure washer foam cannon.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8011 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:

Have used Meguiars Ultimate Spray wax all of last summer with good results. It's been my go to product until I tried the Hybrid Ceramic wax (only twice) and I'm very impressed. The initial application takes a little elbow grease but not as much as using the Ultimate Spray wax which as waxes go is pretty easy too. Subsequent applications are a breeze requiring only spray on a washed and still wet car, then hose off (pressure washer recommended but not necessary if you have good pressure from your hose) and dry.

I uaws the Meguiars ceramic wax several months ago. So far in the South Florida sun, it has held up really well. It goes on and off pretty easily and you wipe it off before it even dries.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Update: I bought another gallon of Meguiars Gold Class soap. I'll try to get a sample of the Chemical Guys stuff to try, but my usual stuff works well, and it's tough to beat the price.

I did grab a cheap garden hose foam gun from Amazon. It's reportedly the OEM version of the Chemical Guys branded model, and almost half the price. Today was my first time to try it out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My verdict: Not worth it, compared to my usual Two Bucket Method. As described in my earlier post, this foam gun just basically takes the place of the soap bucket in the Two Bucket Method. It doesn't get any more foam on the car than you'd get from a well-sudsed wash mitt, and doesn't seem to save any time or effort.

In fact, it might be a bit more effort, because you end up having to detach and reattach the front foaming portion multiple times, as you soap/wash/rinse each section of the car at a time. With the 2BM, I can soap the mitt from the soap bucket, and rinse with the hose, without attaching or detaching anything.

And even with a foam gun, you still have to use one water bucket, to clean your mitt between sections.

Plus the nozzle on the rear section sucks, and doesn't rinse very well. I ended up having to unscrew it and screw on my usual nozzle to go back over the car for a final rinse to get the last of the soap off.

I'm going to stick with the Two Bucket Method, at least until the day when I can invest in a pressure washer and a real foam cannon like Black92LX's.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post