SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car Wash Soap Recommendations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car Wash Soap Recommendations Login/Join 
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Been using the GRIOTS car wash soap...My Nieces get me a couple of Griots products every year for Birthdays, Christmas. Works fine.

Snagged some samples of CHEMICAL GUYS wash soap a few years back. Also great product, with frequent sales.

I'd say if it says "Car Wash Soap" it's probably fine.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Between washes I use Meguirs. If I plan to polish, seal and shine, I use dawn and a whole other lineup. These are the results I get. =)

https://youtu.be/yXpndbxMxD4

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chemical guys here.

Posts: 219 | Registered: June 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

You should consider a water deionizing filter.

I wasn't aware of those, sounds like a good idea.
Rather than slog through Amazon listings, info or recommendations?

Link below - the single cartridge one is fine for normal home use and a little easier on the pocket for purchase and replacing the media. They make bigger, but that's overkill for mere mortals. This was given to me by a friend in the window cleaning business, as noted I'd always poo-pooed them in the past. Sort of like a BGE until you use one.

Before you click on link and your eyes water, realize it's a one-time purchase but with replacement filter media available from manufacturer at a reasonable cost. It's still a pricey luxury.

However if, like me, you are looking to be able to rinse a car and not chase the tiny water bubble marks left behind even with a microfiber towel, this is for you. You can theoretically do a final rinse with this and let it dry with no spots. Personally I give it a light wipe, but nothing that would induce swirls/streaks in the wax coat. For me, extending the time between full on details makes this an even better bargain. Personally, I only use for a final rinse - I was really burning through the filter media using it throughout the wash.

This is also the bomb for window washing. Take a bucket of very lightly soapy water and a long handle brush, rinse down windows, brush down with mild soap and then rinse with this and you will have perfectly clean, ZERO streak or spots on windows. Probably best to do only outside, but I'm tempted.....

CR Spotless

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Meguiar's MB0148 Mirror Bright Automobile Shampoo

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I use a 5gallon bucket of beautiful Texas water full of lime.
Pour in some simple green
And wash the car/truck with a brush
Then wipe it off with a blue shamois

I seal/wax with nu-finish
Truck is 13 years old and looks great

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Link below - the single cartridge one is fine for normal home use and a little easier on the pocket for purchase and replacing the media. They make bigger, but that's overkill for mere mortals. This was given to me by a friend in the window cleaning business, as noted I'd always poo-pooed them in the past. Sort of like a BGE until you use one.

Before you click on link and your eyes water, realize it's a one-time purchase but with replacement filter media available from manufacturer at a reasonable cost. It's still a pricey luxury.

However if, like me, you are looking to be able to rinse a car and not chase the tiny water bubble marks left behind even with a microfiber towel, this is for you. You can theoretically do a final rinse with this and let it dry with no spots. Personally I give it a light wipe, but nothing that would induce swirls/streaks in the wax coat. For me, extending the time between full on details makes this an even better bargain. Personally, I only use for a final rinse - I was really burning through the filter media using it throughout the wash.

This is also the bomb for window washing. Take a bucket of very lightly soapy water and a long handle brush, rinse down windows, brush down with mild soap and then rinse with this and you will have perfectly clean, ZERO streak or spots on windows. Probably best to do only outside, but I'm tempted.....

CR Spotless

You do realize that there is no de-ionization going on in that unit and the only thing that is in there is a simple charcoal water filter like the ones for your refrigerator. Basically it's a household water filter housing on a stand. Generally to properly do it, that way, there should be 2 filter housings and a paper filter in the first one to catch the debris, and a charcoal filter in the second housing.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like the Meguiar Gold.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:
quote:

CR Spotless

You do realize that there is no de-ionization going on in that unit and the only thing that is in there is a simple charcoal water filter like the ones for your refrigerator. Basically it's a household water filter housing on a stand. Generally to properly do it, that way, there should be 2 filter housings and a paper filter in the first one to catch the debris, and a charcoal filter in the second housing.

+1

About $30 at HD should get you there.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Yeah, not a paper or charcoal filter but thanks for the incredible insight y’all.

To the OP - lots of great soap recommendations here, get on with washing!

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Adam’s car shampoo with a foam cannon and the two bucket (three if you count the wheel bucket) method and my deep black car shines like new. Very few scratches and almost no swirls. Rumor has it that Chemical Guys makes many companies’s car soaps, including Adam’s.

If you really want a deep dive, check out Obsessed Garage on YouTube.

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:

CR Spotless

Ha, that's Lenny from the Glock Store in the Amazon video.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, not a paper or charcoal filter but thanks for the incredible insight y’all.

To the OP - lots of great soap recommendations here, get on with washing!

LOLOLOLOL, YES IT IS. And 200 PPM isn't that great. On the yachts, we have very complex reverse osmosis filters that remove the solids down to 25-50 PPM. Straight from the link to it that you posted

"The DI-120 comes complete with one 20 inch cartridge containing a mixed bed of de-ionizing resin that will produce approximately 200 gallons of mineral-free water based on an average TDS level of 200 ppm. Depending on the quality of the water where you live, you can get between 75 and 1000 gallons of deionized water from one resin cartridge. "

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Jimmy - the TDS in output starts at 0-low single digits, you replace the cartridge at 20+, depending on use. I’ll keep using to 50ishppm output on windows with no issues

The average 200ppm is their estimated inflow from source in estimating lifespan and total gallons output.

It’s clearly a cheaper shortcut to a workable solution without investing a few grand in a system.

Then again maybe the monitor is a clever random number generator.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
This was given to me by a friend in the window cleaning business...

I would absolutely love one of those, until a friend, Santa or aliens drop one off for me, it's not gonna happen. Maybe I'll get lucky on Craigslist or a yard sale. Frown

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jimmy - the TDS in output starts at 0-low single digits, you replace the cartridge at 20+, depending on use. I’ll keep using to 50ishppm output on windows with no issues

The average 200ppm is their estimated inflow from source in estimating lifespan and total gallons output.

It’s clearly a cheaper shortcut to a workable solution without investing a few grand in a system.

Then again maybe the monitor is a clever random number generator.

I am familiar with most all water spot removing filters (removes nutrients in water) being in the yachting industry.

This one can't be beat for the money and is of solid build quality and you just backwash it with salt every 5,000 gallons to recharge it. $419.99, for the regular capacity one it's $389.99 and the only thing you have to buy is water softening salt every once in a while at lowes.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy...00492671?recordNum=2

And, some yachts I run have these spot zero systems in them at $10,000-15,000 cost and bring the water down to under 20 ppm. Quite a bit overkill for washing a car.

https://www.spotzerowater.com/...hwater-purification/

posted Hide Post
I recently bought a filter from DIRinse.com and it really makes a difference, so far. It took the water from 115 ppm down to 10 ppm. It has a bypass on it so you wash the car with tap water and then do the final rinse through the filter. It does make a big difference, especially on my black cars.

Oh and I use the Chemicals Guys soap as well.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If I'm understanding the CR Spotless correctly, it's a portable water softener. The filter cartridge has the same materials inside that a regular water softener has, but instead of back flushing it with salt brine to recharge the material for 50 cents worth of salt, you replace the material for $60 or so.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Meguiars Gold

Sale Price $8.24

https://shop.advanceautoparts....K_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
If I'm understanding the CR Spotless correctly, it's a portable water softener. The filter cartridge has the same materials inside that a regular water softener has, but instead of back flushing it with salt brine to recharge the material for 50 cents worth of salt, you replace the material for $60 or so.

Yes