SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car Wash Soap Recommendations
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car Wash Soap Recommendations Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
I washed my car and garage door today, and used the last of my Meguiars Gold Class car wash soap. I'm happy with it, before I order another bottle, I figured I'd see if there was a newer/better product I should try.

I normally wash with the two bucket method using a wash mitt, followed by a chamois for drying, and then Lucas Slick Mist spray wax applied with a microfiber towel. So no need for soaps formulated for something like a pressure washer or foam cannon. And I'm also not one of those super-anal detailers who spends hours poring over his car with a clay bar every week, so I don't need an ultra-premium 14-part cleaning regimen. I'm okay with decently good results with mild-to-moderate effort (as evidenced by my use of a spray wax, which is the lazy route.) Wink

I'm a bit wary of the various Wash + Wax combo soaps, since I had poor results when I tried one of them years ago, although they very likely have improved.

I have a buddy who swears by the Chemical Guys soaps, but I don't have any experience with those.

What do you guys like?

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Meguiars gold myself. Maybe get a few ounces off of your buddy and try the chemical guys soap and compare it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Also a Meguiars Gold user here.
I've converted some of the interior supplies to Chem Guys but haven't tried their soap.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Meguiars Ultimate car soap. Fellow detailer for fun.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8682 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Chemical guys with a soap cannon.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I like the Gold Car Shampoo also.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Chemical guys with a soap cannon.

Which soap? Seems like they offer about 10 different types.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I use Chemical Guys CWS_107 Extreme Body Wash and Synthetic Wax Car Wash Shampoo.

Sounds like you’re using a spray wax wipe down every time too as do I.

You should consider a water deionizing filter. It makes a HUGE difference. After done washing I hook that up and do another good rinse, no spots.
I always thought it was overkill until I got one.

The spray wax isn’t really just lazy. After I get a really solid cleaning and sealing done, hitting it with spray wax every time and extends the time to do that again by an incredible amount.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've been using Lusso for weekly washings. Gentle, slick, and smells great.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I just bought this Uber wash you add it to your wash soap to improve drying and I'd doubled as a quick detailer concentrate. If the reviews are correct, it should be a good addition for car maintenance and much cheaper than buying detailer spray by the bottle.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have become a bit of a Chemical Guys fanboy. The stuff works good.
HoneyDew Snow Foam
Extreme Bodywash & Wax (Grape)
Tough Mudder
Is my current arsenal though I have not used the tough mudder yet just bought it the other day.
I use the power washer to give a good rinse and loosen things up, then use the foam cannon let her soak a touch, then use microfiber mits to give it a nice rub down, then light power wash rinse.
Works great for light frequent washes. The extreme body wash water beads quite nicely for a while.
Just did the Expedition this evening.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Dawn dishwashing soap.

No kidding. I've been using Zaino car care products for years. Decades, in fact.

One review site said that after winning the top product award five years straight, they were disqualifying Zaino products from further comparisons.

Zaino doesn't recommend using their car wash (Z-7). Instead, they recommend using Dawn dishwashing soap to start with, to remove all the dirt, grime, debris and road filth from your auto, saying "use Liquid Dawn(hand dish washing liquid) as a car wash. It has a high alkaline content which cuts right thru carnauba wax, paraffin, silicone oils, etc. This will get your paint finish squeeky [sic] clean and wax free."

Then, start applying the Zaino car care products. Last year, I spent about four hours one afternoon going from top to bottom on my Mercedes E350C4. Wash, clay bar, re-wash (this time with Z-7), polish, detail, etc. Here is their full page of instructions, with recommendations for products for specific purposes (anti-swirl, and so on).

Yes, it's labor-intensive, but I only have to do it once a year. Afterwards, all I need is a bucket of warm water, a soft sponge and a chamois once a week for an hour or less and my car has a showroom shine!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Hold on, now... Dawn is fine if you want to strip your car and put a whole new base coat of wax on. But it's a bad choice for a weekly or semi-weekly car wash soap, unless you're the type of OCD who likes starting from square one and seriously re-waxing your car each and every time. And who has time for that?

And just wiping down your car with just water is introducing unnecessary scratches and swirls. Especially bad for a dark colored car like mine. You really need some sort of buffer to loosen, lift, and trap the dirt particles so your sponge or whatever isn't dragging the coarse contaminants across your vehicle's wax and clear coat as you wipe. Hence the soap.

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Dawn dishwashing soap.

Instead, they recommend using Dawn dishwashing soap to start with, to remove all the dirt, grime, debris and road filth from your auto, saying "use Liquid Dawn(hand dish washing liquid) as a car wash.

Dawn is great if you want to get down to the bare paint. For cars that have been waxed or ceramic treated this is not a good idea for regular washes. Any of the washes that advertise PH balanced are probably a good choice. There are many. I like Chemical Guys Mr. Pink. Inexpensive, cleans well and doesn't strip wax or ceramic coating.

Speaking of ceramic coating, I recently tried Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax with good results. Very inexpensive as those things go and it is sooo easy to apply. Spray on, rinse off and dry your car.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah... Not surprising that the wax company is telling folks to wash their cars with Dawn. Just means those folks will have to buy and reapply 20x as much wax! Profit! Big Grin

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I was alternating between Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss and Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax but ran out of both. I just bought a bottle of HydroSilex Silica Soap since I have HydroSilex Recharge as my "wax".

If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I will try the Silica Soap.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
Another Chemical Guys user here. I use the honeydew in my foam cannon and use honeydew in the bucket that has soap in it as well. I like it and it’s really not terribly expensive either.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Dawn dish washing soap.
Never use Dawn on a vehicle. That used to be an approach used by some to strip everything off the paint prior to correction and re-coating, but Dawn is so brutal on the rubber and plastic that no one who does detailing professionally would ever do or recommend it anymore. Wanna remove everything from the paint surface to re-coat?
Use a mixture of 50/50 distilled water and IPA in a spray bottle and mist it on the paint only. Spray on wipe off with a couple good microfiber clothes. Done.

As for car wash, Meg's Gold Class is hard to beat. High quality, available virtually everywhere, and low cost. Just make sure to change the soap in your bucket a couple times as you wash to always insure you have as few contaminants as possible in your bucket. Using a Grit Guard in the bottom of your wash bucket is also highly recommended.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I use dawn to strip the old stuff off then apply Rejex. I do this twice a year. For the in between washes, Meguiars is fine

Posts: 4019 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

You should consider a water deionizing filter.

I wasn't aware of those, sounds like a good idea.
Rather than slog through Amazon listings, info or recommendations?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post