SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Despite hiring push, Chicago police still falling short in attracting black officers"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Despite hiring push, Chicago police still falling short in attracting black officers" Login/Join 
posted
Everyone believes in equal opportunity. Liberals demand equal outcomes...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20180503-story.html

Despite hiring push, Chicago police still falling short in attracting black officers

By Dan Hinkel and Jennifer Smith Richards
Contact Reporters
Chicago Tribune

Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s administration has consistently stressed its intent to diversify the Chicago Police Department during its push to add more than 1,000 cops and change the image of a force beleaguered by controversial shootings of black men by white officers.

The city succeeded at bringing black candidates into the early stages of the hiring process. Thirty-eight percent of applicants were African-Americans the last time the department held a police exam, a City Hall news release noted last October.

But that effort has not resulted in a significant increase in black cops.

In fact, while the department made a net gain of nearly 800 officers between October 2016 and the end of March 2018, the percentage of African-Americans on the force dropped slightly, according to a Tribune analysis of department data.

African-Americans — who historically have had a strained relationship with the Police Department — make up close to a third of Chicago’s population but only about a fifth of the police force.

Department officials say a large percentage of African-Americans who apply for a job with the department simply don’t show up to take the entrance test.

Black politicians, meanwhile, allege that African-Americans who do pass the exam are often unfairly screened out of the hiring process by restrictions on indebtedness, the college credit requirement and psychological testing, among other factors.

The department’s failure to hire black police in proportion to the city’s population is a stubborn problem that could grow more challenging if African-Americans continue to flee the Chicago area as they have in recent years, according to census figures. Diversity is also front-and-center as the city prepares to enter a court-enforceable agreement aimed at forcing change in a department with a history of misconduct against minorities.

South Side Ald. Anthony Beale said the department needs to rework its background check and reconsider its rule that recruits have to hold the equivalent typically of two years of college, among other measures.

“I don’t care if you have 80 percent African-Americans going to take the test,” he said. “You’re still going to have the same percentage (hired).”

But Barbara West, chief of the department’s Bureau of Organizational Development, said the main challenge to improving the department’s diversity remains getting African-American applicants to follow through and take the examination. When the department last held an exam in December, 44 percent of the blacks who had applied didn’t show up, she said.

“The biggest hurdle and the biggest first step is actually showing up for the exam,” West said.

The department draws recruits from an eligibility list made up of those who pass the exam.

Though African-Americans are underrepresented on the force, the Emanuel administration often points to diversity in the department’s top ranks. Indeed, as of March, half of the 24 highest-ranking officers — including Superintendent Eddie Johnson — were black.

The Tribune’s demographic calculations are based on about 95 percent of the force because the department withheld identifying information for officers who serve in units that do covert work. But past records indicate that those units have largely mirrored the racial breakdown of the rest of the force.

Emanuel announced the department’s expansion in September 2016 as he faced a pair of urgent political problems — fallout from the video of the fatal shooting of Laquan McDonald and runaway street violence.

The late 2015 court-ordered release of the video showing white Officer Jason Van Dyke shooting the black teen 16 times sparked calls for Emanuel’s resignation and unleashed a torrent of grievances about the Police Department, particularly from African-Americans. An investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice eventually echoed what black Chicagoans have said for decades — that the department had allowed “racially discriminatory conduct” and used force disproportionately against minorities.

Meanwhile, gun violence spiked in 2016 as some 4,300 people were shot and more than 760 were killed, making it the deadliest year in nearly two decades. Some, including Emanuel, blamed surging crime in part on cops’ limiting their activity to avoid getting caught up in any incidents that might stoke public outrage.

The mayor’s hiring spree has reversed a downward trend in the department’s size that played out on his watch. The department lost about 600 officers between the time he took office in 2011 and October 2016.

Department records obtained through the Freedom of Information Act suggested that, as of March, the force was not on pace to hit Emanuel’s target of 13,535 cops by the end of the year. Rapid hiring had been offset by departures, leaving the department with about 12,770 cops on the roster at the end of March, a net gain of about 780 since October 2016, shortly before the hiring push kicked off, according to agency records. At that pace, the department would have fallen about 375 officers short of its goal by year-end.

But department officials said that the recent roster provided to the Tribune did not include some 90 officers on leave from the force or 102 cops who joined the department in April. As of late April, the department had 12,950 officers, a gain of about 1,050 cops since the start of 2017, according to West. That rate of growth would put the department on pace to come within 100 officers of Emanuel’s goal. West said she believes the city will hit its hiring goal, in part because the department expects fewer officers to leave in 2018 than in 2017.

The department provided personnel records for those 102 new officers only after the Tribune first posted this story online Friday morning.

Over and over, Emanuel has stressed the importance of diversity as he seeks to expand the department while also aiming to improve its relationship with black Chicagoans. The city has paid out at least $167,500 to a contractor, Brown Farmer Media Group, to recruit minority applicants for recent tests, city records show.

“Chicago’s greatest asset is our diversity, and with each class of recruits CPD reflects that and uses it to serve our city,” Emanuel said in a statement in January.

But the department still falls far short of reflecting the city’s demographics.

Among the officers hired in 2017 and 2018 whose race was included on the most recent roster, only 14.3 percent were black. Overall, African-Americans make up about 20.5 percent of officers whose race the department provided. That’s down from 21.9 percent in 2016. Blacks make up about 30 percent of the city’s population.

Meanwhile, departures by black officers have also hurt African-American representation on the force. Between late 2016 and 2018, about 30 percent of the approximately 950 officers who dropped off of department rosters were African-American, indicating they either departed the force or moved to units with covert officers. That indicates black cops left the department in numbers that were disproportionate to their representation on the force.

The department’s struggle to hire and retain African-American police is especially significant as city officials hammer out a federal court agreement that will govern reforms, said Shari Runner, president of the Chicago Urban League. Runner, whose organization was among those that sued the city to force judicial oversight, credited city leaders with trying to build diversity but said the department has to find ways to hire more black officers.

“I don’t think that this is an easily solvable problem,” she said. “It’s not a layup. It’s not something that they can do overnight, but the first big step was to be aware of it.”

West, who is African-American, said the department has tried to make the hiring process accessible to everyone. The city recently eliminated the $30 fee to take the exam and started offering test preparation, she noted. The department has also been sending text and email reminders to applicants to show up for the test, West said.

The department has surveyed people who didn’t show up for the test, West said, and candidates gave reasons ranging from forgetting to go to accepting other jobs in the interim.

For candidates who pass the examination, the department has been holding workouts to prepare for the physical testing and credit repair workshops.

“We’ve been trying to remove every barrier,” West said.

The Tribune requested more detailed information on the ways African-Americans are being struck from the hiring process after passing the exam, but the department did not provide it.

Chicago mirrors cities across the country that have struggled to hire more black officers.

West Side Ald. Chris Taliaferro, a former Chicago cop who is African-American, echoed his City Council colleague Beale in saying the department should consider changes to the hiring process. Taliaferro said he did not pass the department’s psychological test on his first attempt and joined the department in 1994 with only a high school diploma. The college credit requirement did not exist then.

“I don’t think we’re getting a better-quality officer because they have 60 hours of college credit,” he said.

Police Department spokesman Frank Giancamilli said the department has instituted more lenient standards in recent years on medical and student loan debt. He also said that the department has an appeals process for candidates who fail the psychological exam.

A spokesman for Emanuel, Julienn Kaviar, said the administration is “committed to ensuring the police department reflects the diversity of our city.

“Under Superintendent Johnson's leadership over the past year and half, CPD has made it easier to apply, supported and prepared candidates throughout the application process and removed barriers to joining the police department,” she said in an emailed statement.

Some within the department have complained that increased scrutiny over officers’ conduct has made an already dangerous job less appealing. Northwest Side Ald. Nicholas Sposato, a former firefighter, said he felt the city had made a “yeoman’s effort” to hire cops but that a climate of hostility toward police has driven retirements and hampered hiring efforts.

“It’s just not the job it once was,” he said. “It’s a dangerous job that could wreck your life.”

Martin Preib, the Chicago Fraternal Order of Police spokesman and a consistent critic of local journalists, replied to a list of questions about hiring and diversity with an email asking, “Are you familiar with Walt Whitman’s writing?” He did not elaborate and responded to another request for comment by saying, “Nah, I’ll just correct it as I do all your writing.”

While struggling to increase the rolls of black officers, the department has boosted its Latino ranks, adding more than 500 officers identified as Hispanic. As of the end of March, the department was 25.7 percent Hispanic, up from 23.3 percent in late 2016.

West said that Hispanic candidates have had a lower no-show rate than African-Americans — under 30 percent — for two recent tests.

About 19 percent of white applicants failed to show up for the most recent police exam, department officials said.

West noted that another exam was scheduled for Saturday.

“You know, show up,” she said.

dhinkel@chicagotribune.com

jrichards@chicagotribune.com

Twitter @dhinkel

Twitter @jsmithrichards

Posts: 15895 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
While struggling to increase the rolls of black officers, the department has boosted its Latino ranks, adding more than 500 officers identified as Hispanic. As of the end of March, the department was 25.7 percent Hispanic, up from 23.3 percent in late 2016.

West said that Hispanic candidates have had a lower no-show rate than African-Americans — under 30 percent — for two recent tests.

About 19 percent of white applicants failed to show up for the most recent police exam, department officials said.

West noted that another exam was scheduled for Saturday.

“You know, show up,” she said.

“You know, show up!,” ... but don't you need a highly paid consultant to tell you that?

quote:
The city has paid out at least $167,500 to a contractor, Brown Farmer Media Group, to recruit minority applicants for recent tests, city records show.

Yep.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23926 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An excuse to lower the bar.

Then there's the "bla bla bla, DIVERSITY! Bla bla bal..." argument.

Which brings us to not hiring the BEST candidate, just the most diverse.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8313 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agencies across the US have done everything short of just handing them a job.

Some agencies have eliminated tests, lowered standards almost to the point of non-existence, waived arrests, debts etc..

I love this quote:
"Black politicians, meanwhile, allege that African-Americans who do pass the exam are often unfairly screened out of the hiring process by restrictions on indebtedness, the college credit requirement and psychological testing, among other factors."

Plus where is the group or agency to help everyone else with their PT test training, or credit scores.

So they pander to this section of society and spend tons of money to try and recruit that demographic but Dept has tons of well qualified applicants, for some it has been their life long job but get passed over and/or ignored because they do not check a certain box.

This level of thinking and dumbing down of standards has also led to a few OIS that I can recall.

I know I tried for years to get on with Columbus OH PD to no avail I got every excuse in the book, and then I would see some toad I went to high school with get hired.

I loved when I had to call recruiting and they answered the phone Minority recruiting. (I know it was this way until I left in Sept 2001. I am not sure if still is)

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
Agencies across the US have done everything short of just handing them a job.

Some agencies have eliminated tests, lowered standards almost to the point of non-existence, waived arrests, debts etc..

A BPD friend of mine worked in the training academy for several years. He said in the 2000s it was getting so bad the instructors were trying hard to weed out the guys who obviously had no business even getting to that point. And what was the BPD response? Move as many black officers as they could into the academy to ensure the desired outcome.

And read this article...

https://www.themaven.net/bluel...O2zEkquwm9aw/?full=1

This is their example of "removing barriers" for black officers.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Have they considered that maybe there are more white applicants than black applicants? Maybe the job itself doesn't appeal to blacks?

I applied in 2006 and I was living a few states away in 2009 or 2010 by the time they got to my background packet on active duty in the Army. Who waits around for 3-4 years to be hired?

Maybe I should apply again and identify as black? Might get me hired. Big Grin

Posts: 13039 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The funny thing is in the mid to late 2000's I applied twice to BPD.

By that point I already had 7 years on the job, and thought I was a good candidate. I never received a call or anything.

A few months late I got a federal gig and one of my co-workers retried from BPD as a major after 27 years. I explained the situation and he stated they are only hiring those that can check certain boxes.

The whole situation is sad, pathetic etc..
When they lower the standards to almost non-existent, individuals that do apply who have great credit, schooling, never been arrested etc.. are said to be over qualified.

Heck it seems that if you have served in the military you are now deemed over qualified.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

My son is in the academy right now. Interesting times!

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Maybe I should apply again and identify as black? Might get me hired. Big Grin

The county deputy sheriff association once thought my brother was black......and he got some interesting association email hailing his desire to be a cop. That was over 25 years ago.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With apologies and condolences to our SF CPD members:
1- As an officer just starting out, who in their right mind would even consider joining CPD?
2- Given the social conditions today, is anyone applying, black, white or indifferent?

Maybe these factors are part of CPD hiring problem?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15989 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
So, has anybody up there had the temerity to take a look at cultural values in their search for reasons why they can't fill their quotas?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4357 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Let's just lower the standards until we can fill the quotas.

This is how we end up with pajama wearing nannies getting shot in Minneapolis.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bayouman
posted Hide Post
They are aware of the dangerous streets of Chicago and wisely are avoiding wearing a blue target on their backs.

Bayouman
Never let the enemy pick the battle site.

Posts: 727 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana  | Registered: June 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
The pool of applicants WITHOUT criminal records is probably limited.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4558 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
1- As an officer just starting out, who in their right mind would even consider joining CPD?
2- Given the social conditions today, is anyone applying, black, white or indifferent?

This mayor loves to make it all about race, but in reality, you become BLUE. In the end, all this negativity about the police is hurting their own cause. No one would take this job regardless of skin tone, religion, sexual preference, or whatever you choose name as a reason, simply because you will become society's enemy in a leftist utopia that is Chicago.

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2514 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Why are you apologizing for pointing out the truth?
Those are HUGE factors in the hiring problem.

Now, there's about 6-8 thousand that get the application on line.
Say out of the 6-8 thousand, only 4-6 thousand actually show up for the test.
Then we generally loose 1/3 to every portion of the process... But we're making it easier!
Usually 1/3 can't pass the physical
Then another 1/3 of what's left fail the drug
Then 1/3 for the psychological exams & polygraph

There's about a ZERO attrition rate in the academy and about the same in the field training program. Unless you're a total shit-sandwich, you're passing.

It seems like more of one column is passing stuff with flying colors...

Posts: 8313 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lugerguards:
quote:

Tell him "Congrats!" from us! (We need the help!)
What week is he in?

Picture of lugerguards
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lugerguards:
quote:

Tell him "Congrats!" from us! (We need the help!)
What week is he in?

Will do, He is in week 9.

Nothing here to see!

Posts: 1865 | Location: Will County, Illinois | Registered: October 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(I'm assuming Chicago PD, there's a suburban class in there too...)

I've been stuck in there for the past 3 weeks.
Uuuuggggg....

If he needs anything, let me know. A few real good friends of mine are instructors there. Mostly on the range and gym.

Let him know that Sgt Snelling actually has a sense of humor. Wink

I spent about an hour after class today with about 5 instructors, and listening to them vent about the lack of leadership from the top... Sad.

Sure, we need people! We're about 4,000 (if not more) short. BUT, we need the RIGHT people in those empty seats in the squad car, not the one that just barely passed the test and did the bare minimum to get through.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
change the image of a force beleaguered by controversial shootings of black men by white officers.
If the only thing that changes is the color of the cops, then the force will be beleaguered by controversial shoots of black men by black men.

Posts: 4005 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post