SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What the best protectant/stain/sealer for a deck?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What the best protectant/stain/sealer for a deck? Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted
I have a deck that needs serious cleaning and treatment. I think the wood is mahogany. Can you recommend good products for treating and protecting the wood as well as what cleaner I should scrub it with? Thanks.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good question.
I'm in for that answer.
Over the years have tried a few.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flood Cwf-Uv

Best stuff going and I've tried nearly everything on the market

Posts: 767 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I've used both Flood and Behr on a newly pressure washed 20 year old deck. Both are about the same. If using the "Solid" colors, I feel for ya. Ours get far too hot to walk on in the summer. Ours is that reddish brown.

FYI - ours gets shoveled a lot in the winter. Seems we have to coat it about every 3 years.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a website that has pretty good information on stains.

https://www.deckstainhelp.com/.../deck-stain-reviews/

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, fellas. I saw the Flood brand at Lowe's tonight. I'll go with clear when the time comes....a couple of months I guess. The mahogany has a reddish brown color to it no, but assume it'll lighten after I wash it. This house is new to me, so I don't know how it looked new.

wcb, thanks for that link! Tons of info.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do not pressure wash to clean a deck ever

One will not find a lumber company nor stain company that recommends the process (unless used as a low pressure rinse)

Use an Oxalic acid based cleaner (which every stain company that’s on the market will recommend)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post