SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer experts Help! EXCEL file locked -Success!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer experts Help! EXCEL file locked -Success! Login/Join 
Picture of bob ramberg
posted
The.xlsx file where I keep all my gun data, i.e. serial numbers, round count, etc., will not open. I get a "Cannot access read-only document" pop-up window. I cannot open the file or edit the file name or type. I have no idea what caused this. I never made it a read-only file.

I'm running Windows XP on an older dell computer. I know, I know, I should have a back-up. But for now, any ideas on how to unlock this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bob ramberg,

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1366 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
From XP Windows Explorer, right click on the file name and select Properties. From there uncheck Read Only and hit ok. After that you should be able to open the file.

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
If it were only read only you would still be able to open it, just not update it. If you can't open it, it might be corrupted or it might reside on a bad spot on disk. Try running chkdsk on your hard drive to see if there are any bad spots and try to repair it. You may not be able to recover the whole file but you might get some of it.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
There's probably a mobile app for that, and it probably has cloud backup to prevent things like this. It would also be easier since you could update your round count right there at the range instead of having to remember what it is and then remember to update it on the computer when you get home.

If there's not such an app, let me know and I'll write one.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Can you make a copy of the file, either from Windows Explorer or using the command line?

If you can, make two copies. Tuck one away safely, maybe on a flash drive. Work with the other copy. I'm not a Windows wizard (I was a UNIX software developer), but you should be able to change file permissions, remove the read-only attribute, from the command line. Somebody here (probably many somebodies) will likely chime in and tell you how to do it.

In UNIX, or its work-alike, Linux, you would use the chmod command. I'm sure that there's a Windows equivalent, but I don't know what it is, nor the syntax for using it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by james_1234:
From XP Windows Explorer, right click on the file name and select Properties. From there uncheck Read Only and hit ok. After that you should be able to open the file.

You may have to delve further into the Properties, by clicking Security, Advanced. Look over the permission settings, and make sure at the very least your personal user account has "Full Access". (It might have got set to "Deny"). The Administrators group should also have "Full Access", and perhaps the entire "Users" group as well.

You will only see the Security tab if this is on an NTFS formatted volume.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I remember coming across this at least once. I don't remember if it was an indication of a bad disk.

Have you tried shutting your whole computer down for a minute and then starting it back up and trying it again?

Actually, as I write, what I remember was "Cannot access file as it is already opened by another user." The problem was I was the only user and it was on my hard drive. I believe the solution is, as I said, shut the puter down and try again.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Make sure everything is closed and reboot.

If that doesn't do it: Either open as a copy (I don't recall how to do that, but, I believe it's an option if you right-click?) or navigate to the file's location with a file browser/explorer, make a copy of the file and try opening that.

If neither of those works try opening a command window, "CD"ing to the directory, and "copy somefile.xlsx somefile2.xlsx", then see if you can open the copy.

If none of that works: I'm out of ideas. (N.B.: I am neither an MS-Windows nor an MS-Office guru.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Open Office can often open and repair XLSX files that Excel cannot.

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
The last time I had that problem in XP I rebooted into safe mode and made a copy of the file.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the advice.
-Under "Properties" the only tab is "General" and the "read-only" box is not checked. There are no other tabs, like "Security".
-Any changes I do try to make cause an "error occurred applying the attributes to the file:" message.
-I ran "chkdsk.exe" with no change.
-I cannot copy the file. I get a "Cannot copy: Access is denied." message.
-Shutting down the computer did not help.

Going to try the last three suggestions. Thanks again, all.

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1366 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
SUCCESS! using the Safe Mode worked! Thanks Stoic!

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bob ramberg:
SUCCESS! using the Safe Mode worked! Thanks Stoic!

Now make a backup copy of the file and keep it off line from the original. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post