SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Podiatrists - Ankle issues.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Podiatrists - Ankle issues. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Mrs. PHPaul's ankles are visibly rotated inward towards each other when she walks as viewed from behind. Going by pictures on the internet, I believe this is called "abduction".

Whatever it's called, I need a lead on OTC inserts to help correct the issue.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is an instance where "one size fits all" OTC will cause more issues.

I'd recommend proper construction/fitment of Orthotics.

Going down the OTC road may acerbate the issue and move problems upward into the knee and hip. And cause them to compensate inappropriately. That will cause ongoing gait issues and pain.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Her problem may have started by wearing fashionable shoes that have poor support. She should probably wear better shoes.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Not podiatrist, see orthopedic surgeon.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Agree 100% with Johnny. See an Orthopedic, a medical doctor.

Posts: 12918 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
We'll have to see if we can get a referral.

Thanks.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Does she have fibromyalgia?

There are no trigger points for it in the ankles but there are are in the knees. People with fibro obviously alter their movements to avoid the pain and in turn, they alter how they walk using their feet to decrease hip or knee pain. That can, at times, cause a change in foot movement through the various planes of motion.

Don't OTC this because every foot is different and if the OTC inserts are ill-fitted, it will cause knee, hip and back problems, like others have said.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Orthopedist. My daughter as an infant had an unusual gait. Ortho immediately diagnosed increased femoral antiversion. In essence a problem in the hips which most kids outgrow.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Does she have fibromyalgia?

No.