SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Or Who Is Your Worst Enemy?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Or Who Is Your Worst Enemy? Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Interesting question. I would have to say my own mortality. I'm 70 and my years are obviously numbered.

As I watch my little grand daughter grow up, I find myself thinking about things like will I be around when she graduates from High School, gets married, whatever. I imagine that is fairly normal thinking for people as they age.

How's your health?

My in laws lived into their 90's, and my m-i-l is still with us.

I was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis 6 and a half years ago. The statistics are that 80% of those diagnosed do not live 5 years after diagnosis.

I'm 71 now. No telling if I will make it to 72. There is no point worrying about what tie I will wear at my granddaughters' weddings. They are 8 and 10 now.

I can't regard mortality as an enemy. It is and has been part of the deal. You've known for decades that every life comes to this, either to final nothingness as some believe and expect, to to some glorious next stage as many believe. No one knows.

My wife believes in reincarnation. I don't, and I didn't last time either.

We're just along for the ride.

Shoot. We'll be reading you here when you are 85. If you do go away, you will most likely come back as a German guy, working in the Master Shop at Sig DE making awsome pistols. And you'll still have your tuba.. Big Grin With that, you are stuck here for some time to come. Get used to it.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Interesting question. I would have to say my own mortality. I'm 70 and my years are obviously numbered.

As I watch my little grand daughter grow up, I find myself thinking about things like will I be around when she graduates from High School, gets married, whatever. I imagine that is fairly normal thinking for people as they age.

How's your health?

My in laws lived into their 90's, and my m-i-l is still with us.

I was diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis 6 and a half years ago. The statistics are that 80% of those diagnosed do not live 5 years after diagnosis.

I'm 71 now. No telling if I will make it to 72. There is no point worrying about what tie I will wear at my granddaughters' weddings. They are 8 and 10 now.

I can't regard mortality as an enemy. It is and has been part of the deal. You've known for decades that every life comes to this, either to final nothingness as some believe and expect, to to some glorious next stage as many believe. No one knows.

My wife believes in reincarnation. I don't, and I didn't last time either.

We're just along for the ride.

OK. My health is really quite good and I get a physical and full blood work done every year.

Perhaps I wasn't very clear with what I said. I don't worry at all if I will make it to my grand daughter's wedding. Not a bit. I do wonder sometimes if I will even be around to see it. I absolutely do not see my mortality as an "enemy" that notion would never even occur to me. Boy, how do I put this so it makes sense, I contemplate it. I find it interesting to sometimes think about. Not in anger or anything like that. I just find it an interesting conversation piece. I have no fear in dying, what could be more natural?

Damn, that just sucked...didn't it?

I'm with your wife. I believe that we keep coming back until we get it "right". I've felt that way since my 20's. There is an old movie that's called "Defending Your Life", sums it up reasonably well.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:

..... And you'll still have your tuba.. Big Grin With that, you are stuck here for some time to come. Get used to it.

Ahh, I quit playing and sold the tuba in December.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Indecision.......well.....maybe not.....

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
People piloting automobiles while surfing on their phones.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12621 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
Complacency

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
The guy who watches me shave each morning.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
This meat suit my brain is forced to be carried around in. So tiresome.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Anger.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Might get to the point I have had enough,

I asked my Grandfather a few years ago what it was like to be almost 100 years old.He said I don't know if I want to live that long I have seen enough. He lived to be 99 and 8 moths old. He was stubborn and could have made it to a 100 if he would have had the desire...At the time I did not understand his reasoning,Now I am 41 years younger than when he died and I am thinking sometimes I think I have seen enough.I don't know that I want to make it another 41 years to be as old as my Grandfather, He was one tough old bird.

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fear I have in my ex. Every day I am thankful to have made it away from him with my life. Moved over 2,500 miles away from him & I still fear he will find me. I feel broken & fear that I can't be fixed.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
The proliferation of drugs in America.

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagicHorse:
The fear I have in my ex. Every day I am thankful to have made it away from him with my life. Moved over 2,500 miles away from him & I still fear he will find me. I feel broken & fear that I can't be fixed.

That feeling must be hard.Restraining orders,a plan and practice will hopefully alleviate those fears.

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
With all sincerity, really the only entity that stresses me out and antagonizes me and my family are liberal members of government, in particular CA politicians. I have no work, family or personal antagonists, only GDCs.

Almost everyday I wonder when the silent majority of Californians will rise up and say "enough" with the BS.

Posts: 30 | Registered: July 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Looking back over my last 75 years I have to say that my worst enemy has been myself, but I keep learning!

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Fowler:
Looking back over my last 75 years I have to say that my worst enemy has been myself, but I keep learning!

The best summery so far,I am the same age and some of the stupid decisions I made really cost me .

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
Pride.

It takes humility to admit that.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6038 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Age. She is winning.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
TIME.

Yup.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post