SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm moving to Montana! Any advice or locals welcome!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm moving to Montana! Any advice or locals welcome! Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
As some of you may remember, I joined the USN in 2014. I'm 5 years into it and while it's about like being back in high school sometimes it's rewarding and fun. I've seen California (Monterey), Oahu and now Korea. I'm full steam ahead to do all 20 and retire at 50 years old. I'll continue past 50 as long as I can stand it but really want to enjoy as much life as possible while I'm still young you know Smile

Anyway, my wife and I have decided that Western Montana will be our final destination and I'm looking right now around the Anaconda/Deer Lodge area.

I have no way of predicting where technology will be in 15 years so I can't even begin to guess how "off grid" we will be, we'd like to be more self sustained that reliant on the power company though. I do however know our short term goal is to purchase 20'ish acres before we leave Korea at the end of 2021. The virus and subsequent travel restrictions will prevent us from seeing a bunch of places. We may get one trip in to prospect a bit.

So with all that said, I have a short list of questions I've gathered doing my research but being a full time Florida resident for 30 years doesn't help me much in Montana. I know what to look for in florida soil to see if your septic needs more gravel or might have drain problems for example, but in Montana I'm starting from scratch. Good news is we have time. So I'd like to get any locals experiences, advice, tips, random opinions that might help us in deciding what land to purchase.

We're not your typical California transplants looking to start a subdivision. My wife grew up on a dairy farm in Honduras and I'm no stranger to the woods and hard work so we'll do fine I feel.

Looking forward to anything you guys (or gals) would like to add.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
It's no longer Montana! Hasn't been since the 80's. I moved when the Californicator's were emigrating during the 80's and 90's and trashing it's rural character just like many places in the West. Despite all the hoopla espoused by the realtors and politicians know that there is little difference between where you are and where you propose to go.
I do visit my relatives there but I would not live there because it breaks my heart to see all the negative changes!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you gonna grow dental floss??

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For clarification if needed:

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Congratulation on your retirement - in 15 years! You'll find the Deer Lodge/Anaconda area wide open, and will welcome new residents. I don't know much about the hydrology of that area, but know someone who does and will put you in contact with him. Anaconda is an interesting area; have to admit my only stops in Deer Lodge are for gas.

You'll find the area surprisingly blue, there's been a big shift from red -> blue.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I lived there back in the 70's. Just outside Hamilton Montana in the Bitteroot mountain valley. It was beyond gorgeous. If I remember correctly (it was the 70's after all) lots of wealthy and celeb types owned huge tracts of land there. Jim Backus had a place just a few miles down the road from me.

Have no idea what it's like now. FNinMT should be along with some solid info.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I spent some time in MT in the 90s with a friend who grew up in Belgrade. I remember then that California was invading. In fact, somewhere I have a picture of a CA car with “relax I’m just visiting” written in the dust on the back window. Last year I was entertaining a job offer that would have relocated me into the Bozeman area and I was shocked at how much it had changed. It still is beautiful country but the Californication of the populace was evident, as was the cost of living.

I wish you well on your next step. You can still find what you’re looking for as long as you stay away from the cities.

Posts: 2956 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I've lived in Montana since 1977. My wife and I lived in Billings for 7 years followed by Lewistown for 20 years and now Kalispell for the balance of our time. We love it.

Billings is a big city (for Montana) and I wouldn't consider it today - too big. Lewistown is close to paradise. Nice summers, lots of sun in the winter but, like the east side of the Rockies, the wind blows. Water is plentiful and you are surrounded by mountains. Great fishing and hunting all around. The economy is based on agriculture so the family farm/ranch is what it's all about. We loved it there. We raised our 2 kids there, who both went through the excellent schools system. I'd highly recommend you take a look at Lewistown.

Now we are just north of Kalispell. 700 bodies of water in our county and homes are expensive. We've been partially Californianized - especially Whitefish where we avoid like the Kungflu. Lots of folks live off the grid north of us in the Polebridge or Yaak areas. Summers are great but winter is warmer than the east side due to constant cloud cover. The wind doesn't blow here like on the east side. As I mentioned, we have lots of water - Flathead Lake, Hungry Horse Reservoir, Lake McDonald, Whitefish Lake (avoid) and many others that you can fish, sail, boat, water ski, etc. We are close to Glacier National Park and have a Costco. (important to many).

Montanans are stand-offish towards newcomers. I'm not talking about those residents who fled other states. I found it takes years to be accepted as a fellow Montanan - especially in non-migrating areas.

I'm happy to help where I can.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Lots of things can change in 15 years.....

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A note of Anaconda trivia:
If you play golf, the Jack Nicklaus designed “Old Works” golf course is located there.

One of the nice things about the area you are considering is that, as the crow flies it’s about the midpoint between two simply grand national parks: Glacier and Yellowstone. Western Montana is beautiful.

If you really want to get away from people while living in Montana, check out Jordan Montana located in Garfield county. About 1200 residents in the entire county that is approx. four times the size of Rhode Island. The largest T Rex skeleton was unearthed there.

While hoping not to offend, it’s getting very hard most anywhere in the inland west that’s near a small city and up or near a resort area, to avoid the californization (or, urban mind-set) that is happening. I think that in the long run the area you are considering will avoid much of that impact. If we did not have the blessing of grandchildren here, moving next door to Montana would be high on my list.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
Lots of things can change in 15 years.....

Agree. I’d start with planning a vacation in areas of question, & wherever else. Look at retirement ratings for the important stuff. State lines can mean something.

Yes, research, no need to jump into anything, it’ll still be there in 15 years.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Montanans are stand-offish towards newcomers.

I certainly wish more native Washingtonians had had that gene instilled in us. Instead most of us were veritable pushovers when the Californication Effect came. Probably wouldn't have made much of a difference in the long run, but maybe it would lessen that feeling that this place is now a suburb of California...

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

I wondered if anyone would mention that!

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8100 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
Gonna raise a crop of dental floss?

Posts: 1538 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I've read a lot on city-data and other forums and best I can tell, most places out west are becoming Californized, Californiated?

I've always liked that NW Wyoming, SW Montana area. I'm not sure where else one could find that type of geography without paying hundreds of thousands for land.

We'll definitely take a trip out and check it out, I was planning a New Mexico > Montana trip with my two kid sthis fall but Corona postponed that.

With regards to buying the land too soon before retirement, I'm looking at some very remote places. And I can't imagine anything getting cheaper, so at the minimum I have a 50K hunting cabin if plans change drastically. If we see something that we just don't want to pass on we'll buy it, otherwise we'll be very selective given our time frame.

I'll continue to do research and I'm sure I'll learn a lot when I get there and see it for myself.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Omargosh. I have a buddy who lives in East Helena. He went Florida > California > Idaho > Montana. He seems to like it a lot. And he's a retired hydrologist.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
If I might do a thread drift, slightly, what happened to Montana member Gustofer ? Just wondering

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

my first thought when I read the thread title

Big Grin

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
If I might do a thread drift, slightly, what happened to Montana member Gustofer ? Just wondering

Looks like he hasn't been around since Oct.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post