SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My Wife’s Computer got a virus
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Wife’s Computer got a virus Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted
It’s the one that says to call Microsoft. I’m not there and it appears to be a web page that won’t go away. Is it as easy as to change the Home page or is there more to it.

I’d post a screen shot that she text’d me but out of pocket currently.

Thanks.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She should be able to close the browser down through Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del).

If the evil screen is still there when she opens the browser again, she can use a clickable-link in an email (or anywhere else) than will open the browser to that site, where she can close out the evil screen.

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Tell her to download free samples of superantispyware and adware cleaner. These should be able to take care of the problem.

Sometimes a little manual cleanup is required afterward since the malware might inserted itself as part of browser command line. Not a biggie but quite annoying.

Not familiar with this nasty but it sounds more like a browser hijack than a virus.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I've seen a couple lately so tenacious that I had to shut down the infected computer, remove the HD and put in an external USB housing- then run anti-virus/trojan scan on it from another computer.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 395 | Registered: June 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only virus software I would run is windows defender. Everything else is Garbage and dangerous and useless for many reasons.

The message your getting is like adware/malware NOT A VIRUS
it can be removed

Posts: 395 | Registered: June 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by uzigalil:
The only virus software I would run is windows defender. Everything else is Garbage and dangerous and useless for many reasons.

it can be removed

I agree with this 100%. Windows Defender is the only anti-virus program I use. Everything else is a hog that slows your computer and messes with some of the basic settings. Learned that the hard way.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, it's highly unlikely your wife's computer actually has a virus at this point. If she clicks on the link she is being directed to it's a near certainty she will pick up a virus at that link.

What this is is a Browser Takeover directing you to do something harmful. Fortunately these scams are typically easy to deal with.

1) Try closing the browser using the X at the top right. Chances are about 50/50 that will work. After that she can restart the browser but she needs to avoid clicking on the link that took her to that web page. BTW, these links are typically "Clickbait Ads", such as those saying you should see how so and so looks today.

2) The Sledgehammer approach to shutting dow the browser. CTL + SHIFT + ESC will start the Task Manager. Click on the Processes Tab at the near top left. There you will see any running apps listed in the top panel. Click on the Browser and then at the bottom right click on the End Task button. That will shut down the browser.
Then restart the browser.

Note, some of these scripts have some Persistance and they will restart with the browser. Keep using the Task Manager to shut down until the browser comes up with a message "error loading page". At that point do NOT reload that page just start up the home page.

At this point you will want to go to the History link for your browser and clear this days browsing history. That should be enough to clear this script from your browser. Then go to Cookies and clean them out.

BTW I make no claims to being an expert, just someone who has learned a few tricks the hard way.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:

it can be removed

I agree with this 100%. Windows Defender is the only anti-virus program I use. Everything else is a hog that slows your computer and messes with some of the basic settings. Learned that the hard way.

Jim

And if it is Norton or McAfee you have to get their un=installation tool and even then they can be a bugger to get rid of completely.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Wear a condom next time.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:

it can be removed

Jim

And if it is Norton or McAfee you have to get their un=installation tool and even then they can be a bugger to get rid of completely.

It came with McAfee and isn’t a month old. I was hesitant about the McAfee software and will now make some changes to make Windos Defender the virus program.

Thanks.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
I've seen a couple lately so tenacious that I had to shut down the infected computer, remove the HD and put in an external USB housing- then run anti-virus/trojan scan on it from another computer.

Had a hard dive fail and got a virus where I was putting the backup in. It was a home screen grab and fairly notorious. Finally had a computer tech take it on. He couldn't kill it. Finally wreck the hard drive and redid the backup.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I have had the "Microsoft Virus" screen show up a few times. Normally if you just turn off the power to the computer (I know, you aren't supposed to do that) give it a minute then turn back on. I have not had any problems doing this. Turning it off like this is just like you losing power.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
My wife got the same malware. Try disconnecting from the internet, go to add/remove programs and uninstall McAfee. Then activate Windows Defender and it should fix you right up. As soon as Windows Defender starts up you can see it removing the malware files.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post