SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Green Card renewal question (and international travel)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Green Card renewal question (and international travel) Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Trying to help out a friend and I couldn't figure out the answer on .gov webpages.

He's up for renewal of his green card. Apparently, the renewal process can take up to a year after submitting the application. However, it sounds like USCIS can stamp his passport with something that allows him to travel internationally while his green card is being renewed.

Question: the application process, as far as we can see, is either online or via mail. Can't seem to find an in-person submission process / location.

So, if the application is submitted online or mail, how does he get this passport stamp to allow him to travel?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife had to do a 'temporary' Permanent resident for first 2 years as we were newly married/no kids, etc. When it came time to shift it to permanent permanent residency, we were told that if not approved before green card expired to carry the receipt of application letter in case of emergency travel. Never got a passport stamp or had to test the validity of the letter advice.
I have co-workers get work visa's extended all the time & can travel with documentation of extension application before visa extension is approved.

Even if his green card is expired, USCIS will show status as in process & BP should understand. Might be an issue with local/state officials w/o more documentation, but until/if he gets denied, his status is legally OK.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It makes sense that reentry should be fine if the computer shows that the renewal is pending. So, he doesn’t need to apply for a reentry stamp or advance parole? These only apply to new green card applications? Or extended durations outside the US?

If he’s just renewing his green card and can travel freely while it’s been renewed, I think that would be easy and great. Then he just applies for the renewal online and that’s it.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There should be a "local" USCIS office near him. He will have to make an appointment on-line for a specific date and time. Go in and get the temporary stamp and he should be gtg. Notice I said "should". No telling what will happen in his specific case. https://my.uscis.gov/en/appointment/v2

Posts: 459 | Location: ATL | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guinness301:

There should be a "local" USCIS office near him. He will have to make an appointment on-line for a specific date and time. Go in and get the temporary stamp and he should be gtg.

https://my.uscis.gov/en/appointment/v2
A friend of mine had an unanticipated need for a passport for a trip that suddenly popped up. He made an appointment.

The USCIS office is a 4 hour drive or a one hour flight, so I volunteered to fly him in the V-Tail. We arrived twenty minutes early for his ten o'clock, confirmed, appointment. There were two lines wrapping around the outside of the building: one line for "walk-ins" and the other line for those who had appointments.

At 1:30 pm, the line for those who had appointments had finally moved enough so that my friend got into a large waiting room and sat.

Just before 4:00 pm, we finally left, my friend who had the 10:00 am appointment had his new passport in hand.

SIX HOURS, almost all of which was wait time, for a confirmed appointment!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Okay, seems like he should submit his renewal online. Once it's received then if there is a need, he can make an appt online to get an ADIT stamp (but only issued after filing for renewal).

I guess the question now is what it the lag time for getting an appt. Can you get an appt quickly or does that take months too?

Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
A year.... mine took 4 weeks mind you that was back in 2012.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2259 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post