SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fitness Trackers? What makes/models are decent?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitness Trackers? What makes/models are decent? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
FitBit One. It's smaller than my thumb and clips to a belt or pocket. The step counter is pretty dead on. The stair climber is ok. The sleep function was a joke so I quit using it for that.

Posts: 4276 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much guys. I really appreciate your time and knowledge.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9150 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Garmin!!!!

I've been wearing a Garmin Vivoactive HR fitness watch for a couple of years now. I use it to track my running and mountain bike rides. It can be used for walking and other activities. I added a foot pod so I can track the runs I do on my treadmill.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve,

How accurate is the distance tracking when you run on the treadmill?

- TVz

Posts: 432 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
As you enjoy the benefits of using these things, you should bear in mind that those benefits come with a sacrifice. It's like carrying around your own personal snitch on your wrist. ANYBODY can find out exactly where you are at any time.

Privacy.

It ain't what it used to be.

Actually Smart watches equipped with GPS only fire up the GPS when you start up an Activity that requires GPS to record your route. Because the battery in a smart watch is rather small in terms of capacity and GPS is a bit of a Power Hog. BTW, my Garmin Forerunner 235 can only record 11 hours of a run with the GPS active, once that time is up the watch turns off until you charge it.

BTW, the same is true with Smart Phones, try running the Navigation App on your smart phone and see how long it will last on a long drive. Tip, have a USB adapter for your cigarette lighter and a charging cord for your phone. Because if you are in an area with marginal Cellular coverage the signal searching mode will also use up your battery, enough so that Nav mode in the boonies where cell coverage is poor will have your phone dead as a doornail in 4 to 5 hours.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5642 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Gen 1 Fitbit Alta here.

Not very big and perfect for counting steps and activity.

Bought the girlfriend a Gen2 Alta HR fir Christmas. She likes it as well.

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
As you enjoy the benefits of using these things, you should bear in mind that those benefits come with a sacrifice. It's like carrying around your own personal snitch on your wrist. ANYBODY can find out exactly where you are at any time.

Privacy.

It ain't what it used to be.

Actually Smart watches equipped with GPS only fire up the GPS when you start up an Activity that requires GPS to record your route. Because the battery in a smart watch is rather small in terms of capacity and GPS is a bit of a Power Hog. BTW, my Garmin Forerunner 235 can only record 11 hours of a run with the GPS active, once that time is up the watch turns off until you charge it.

BTW, the same is true with Smart Phones, try running the Navigation App on your smart phone and see how long it will last on a long drive. Tip, have a USB adapter for your cigarette lighter and a charging cord for your phone. Because if you are in an area with marginal Cellular coverage the signal searching mode will also use up your battery, enough so that Nav mode in the boonies where cell coverage is poor will have your phone dead as a doornail in 4 to 5 hours.

Smart watches may not run GPS all the time. But the apps on your smart phone uses it, and/or wifi locating to almost constantly track every move you make. Unless you lock down location services, you are being tracked. When Facebook and other social media apps log/report/track your location thousands of times a day, you are being tracked. When you get pop-up ads for the restaurant you are about to walk in front of, you are being tracked.

Posts: 514 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to DCrainmaker's website. This site will answer all your questions. He does some, really in-depth comparisons and reviews.
www.dcrainmaker.com

-K

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TVzombie:
Steve,

- TVz

Once you calibrate it and sync it with the watch, it's pretty close. Maybe off by .05 or so. It's very hard and uncommon to get the watch/foot pod and treadmill to agree.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Low-tech as it is, I use this chart every morning.

https://avatarhost.files.wordp...18a-record-sheet.pdf

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
I've had a Fitbit Charge 2 HR for a little over a year now. So far it has been great. Though not waterproof, it is water resistant. I walked / ran almost 2000 miles since I got it, sometimes through light rain to a friggen monsoon for a 10k on Thanksgiving. I have replaced the band, but so far, it has taken everything thrown at it and is still working great.

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TVzombie:
Steve,

- TVz

This is from my run the other day.

Treadmill
Distance: 3.51 miles
Time: 34:00 minutes
Pace: 9:41 min/mile
Speed: 6.2 mph

Garmin with footpod calibration set at 0.99 (of 1 meter)
Distance: 3.46 miles
Time: 33:58 minutes
Pace: 9:49 min/mile
Speed: 6.1 mph

Steve