SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Get a wild horse or burro plus $1000 from Gov.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Get a wild horse or burro plus $1000 from Gov. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
There is a small, but flourishing, market for horse meat in South Miami. Wonder if BLM would ship me all 55K horses/burros, bet I could move them fast down in Opa Locka.....

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All joking aside, these BLM horse auctions have been a pet peeve of mine for a long time. These horses are wild animals, not pets/domestic animals. Some of them are down right dangerous. The auctions catered to the low budget/ low info horse crowd for a long time.

It got to the point I would take my phone off the hook the day after these auctions, literally. Wild horses running through fences and getting cut, being fed inappropriately and colicing. Then the animals are un-manageable because they are not halter broke.

Now every piece of trailer trash that has a 5 acre salvage yard out back is going to get little sally the horse she always wanted because they get paid $1000. These animals would be better off euthanized.

This is a train-wreck waiting to happen. Sorry for the rant.

Tommy

Posts: 140 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Burros? I'd gladly pay $1000 to get the gov to leave my ass alone.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'll take all of them. I wonder how much Purina will pay me for them?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by horsedoc:
Then the animals are un-manageable because they are not halter broke.
Tommy

Untouched by human hands from the day they erupt from the trailer onto the new owners' property.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Technically, not having lived in North America until the Spanish brought them over, horses and donkeys/burros are invasive species. But that ship has sailed. (Double entendre intentional.)

Technically, horses evolved in North America. They were reintroduced by the Spanish. Smile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...in_the_United_States

Fossils of the earliest direct ancestor to the modern horse, Eohippus have been found in the Eocene layers of North American strata, mainly in the Wind River basin in Wyoming. Fossils found at the Hagerman Fossil Beds in Idaho, called the Hagerman horse or Equus simplicidens are from the Pliocene, dating to about 3.5 million years ago (mya). Paleontologists determined the fossils represented the oldest remains of the genus Equus. The genus Equus, which includes all extant equines, was plentiful in North America and spread into the Old World by about 2.5 mya.

A 2005 genetic study of fossils found evidence for three genetically divergent equid lineages in Pleistocene North and South America.

Recent studies suggest all North American fossils of caballine-type horses, including both the domesticated horse and Przewalski's horse, belong to the same species: E. ferus. Remains attributed to a variety of species and lumped as New World stilt-legged horses probably all belong to a second closely related species that was endemic to North America.

Digs in western Canada have unearthed clear evidence horses existed in North America as recently as 12,000 years ago. Other studies produced evidence that horses in the Americas existed until 8,000–10,000 years ago.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Horse is good meat. These are fair trade free range no drugs hormones or antibiotics etc. Nuff said.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Hell yes. I'd deliver a .308 to Panchito, skin him, clean him, and roast his little ass. Big Grin
You want to turn poor Panchito into a gigantic burrito?

I send Panchito a message

.-. ..- -. .--. .- -. -.-. .... .. - --- .-. ..- -. - .... . -.-- .- .-. . --. --- .. -. --. - --- -.- . . . .-.. -.-- --- ..-

Posts: 107512 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Between Las Vegas and Pahrump, NV the wild burros
are in the parks. They'll come right up to your
car__looking for treats.
The old time prospectors turned their burros loose.
The result__ a lot of burros.
Stau safe
Stay safe
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where I used to live in Stanley Kansas (part of Greater Kansas City area) fox hunting was big time.
(They mostly chased coyotes) The majority of those horses used were former wild horses. They'd buy them by the truckload. They'd get about five or six outstanding ones out of a truck load. Some wound up winning a million dollars!
Needless to say what happened to the others. :-(
Stay safe
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I've said it before, Taco Bell doesn't taste quite the same since they were forced to eliminate horse from their taco meat.
The Panchito burrito just ain't the same.

Posts: 7351 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post