SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Get a wild horse or burro plus $1000 from Gov.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Get a wild horse or burro plus $1000 from Gov. Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
The U.S. government is offering up to $1,000 to those willing to adopt an untrained wild horse or burro to combat the overpopulation of the animals in the open country.

The "Adoption Incentive Program" comes from the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), within the Interior Department. The incentive is part of an effort to "encourage more adopters to give a wild horse or burro a good home."

The bureau states online that the goal is to reduce the agency's "recurring costs to care for unadopted and untrained wild horses and burros while helping to enable the BLM to confront a growing over-population of wild horses and burros on fragile public rangelands."

Both wild horses and burros are federally protected. Since 1971, when the Wild and Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act was signed into law, the animals have been considered "living symbols of the historic and pioneer spirit of the West."

In accordance with the law, the animals are protected from "capture, branding, harassment, or death."

The $1,000 incentive is broken into two parts: those who adopt a wild horse or burro that's eligible for a new home after March 12 can receive $500 within 60 days of the adoption, in addition to another $500 within 60 days of "titling the animal."

Officials said a $25 adoption fee will apply.

Earlier this month, the government said they were seeking more private pastures for the overpopulation of wild horses. Over 55,000 more horses and burros live wild in the West than the roughly 27,000 the BLM says can thrive in harmony with the landscape.

For those interested in the adoption of a wild horse or burro, visit the bureau's website.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/fed...-wild-horse-or-burro

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Officials said a $25 adoption fee will apply.

Net Net = $975. Eek

Posts: 22891 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't adopting one go against the law to begin with considering that would be capturing the animal????

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
My service burro

I shall call him Panchito, and he shall follow me everywhere.

Posts: 107472 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Technically, not having lived in North America until the Spanish brought them over, horses and donkeys/burros are invasive species. But that ship has sailed. (Double entendre intentional.)

Posts: 27922 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to decide if this is more or less absurd than when they were trying to tranquilize and spay/neuter the deer to fix that overpopulation issue in Connecticut or Long Island or something.

I can't decide.

I'm sure a lot of people with guns would be happy to help with the overpopulation issue for a lot less than $1000 a head. I'm sure plenty of them would pay for the privilege. (Cue horrified horse people.)

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
My service burro

I shall call him Panchito, and he shall follow me everywhere.

Is he able to hee haw?

Posts: 2831 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
Both wild horses and burros are federally protected. Since 1971, when the Wild and Free-Roaming Horses and Burros Act was signed into law, the animals have been considered "living symbols of the historic and pioneer spirit of the West."
More insanity from irrational people. I grew up with and absolutely love horses, but come on. When the government shutdown American based slaughter houses several years ago, horses got shipped to Mexico instead, where they were treated and abused horribly. Great solution.

The answer to this problem is to repeal this stupid unicorn farts legislation, and cull enough of these animals to make managing the rest of them realistic. But that would require common sense, of which Washington has virtually none.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Consumption of horsemeat is more or less "taboo" in this country, or those excess horses could feed a lot of people.

Posts: 27922 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Consumption of horsemeat is more or less "taboo" in this country, or those excess horses could feed a lot of people.

I was thinking the same thing..

I’ve eaten a lot of strange shit on a stick while visiting third world shitholes thanks to Uncle Sam...and I know better than to ask what it is..it was all good BTW.

Also had horse when I was in France IIRC, wasn’t bad.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I’m guessing there’ll be some restrictions on what you can do with the critters. Para’s idea probably comes the closest to fitting the gubernint’s intentions. Otherwise, you’ll probably need some space and be ready to spend all of that money on the healthcare o& the critter from now on.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
They used to kill them. That was about the time the country started turning into what it's become now .... Bunch of bleeding hearts with no balance of common sense.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You would kill Panchito?

He has a straw hat with two holes cut out for his ears. If you saw Panchito in his hat, I do not think that you would want to kill him.

Posts: 107472 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Hell yes. I'd deliver a .308 to Panchito, skin him, clean him, and roast his little ass. Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also had horse when I was in France IIRC, wasn’t bad.

hell, I had commercially marketed horse meat when I lived in Portland, from a place on SE Hawthorne circa 1972. Tender & a little too sweet but I was thinking it wouldn't take long to develop a taste for it.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Panchito pancetta for everyone!

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This lends a whole new meaning to the phrase "I need to talk to The Man about a horse."

Posts: 2476 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I've eaten a lot of wild game over my lifetime but have never eaten a horse that I was aware of. Whatever that is on the spit doesn't look half bad. The right sauce...who knows? Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5034 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Great opportunity to solve the reparations for slavery and wild horse overpopulation issues.

I'm sure the recipients will understand that .gov can't afford 40 acres per individual in today's real estate market, what with entitlements budgets and stuff, so the $1K is a fair substitute.

Wild, wild horses, we be ridin' dem, yo.

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post