SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    17 foot long python on the loose in northern Alaska
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 foot long python on the loose in northern Alaska Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
This is something you don't hear about every day Big Grin

A 17-foot python has been reported missing by its owner in a community north of Anchorage, Alaska.

The 100-pound albino Burmese python is believed to be on the loose in the Meadow Lakes area.

The albino Burmese python doesn’t usually attack adults unless it is provoked, but it could still pose a threat to pets and young children, according to The Matanuska-Susitna Borough Animal Care Department.

Authorities have advised residents to keep their small pets inside until the snake is found.

“Alaska’s cold temperatures may weaken the snake or compel it to seek a warm place,” said Animal Care Director Kirsten Vesel.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017...northern-alaska.html

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
Authorities have advised residents to keep their small pets inside until the snake is found.
Only fools aren't already doing this in South Central Alaska because of eagles (small dogs and cats), wolves (any size animal), and bears (any size animal).
quote:
“Alaska’s cold temperatures may weaken the snake or compel it to seek a warm place,” said Animal Care Director Kirsten Vesel.
It's still not summer in South Central Alaska. Anchorage is high 30s at night and low 50s in the day, and Wasilla is the same at night but 5 deg warmer in the day.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I hope it freezes its' balls off up there.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anchorage is not northern Alaska

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
A feast for some unsuspecting beast!

Posts: 13811 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
No worries...wait until Oct. no more snake

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:

That image reminds me of some family lore.

I was born in Wyoming. My family lived the typical Wyoming outdoorsy life, camping all over the state.

One cold winter morning at Fishing Bridge campground in Yellowstone my father was sitting at a picnic table working on his usual breakfast, a Kent cigarette and a cup of coffee with a shot of bourbon.

He didn't wake up well or nice. Ever.

As he sat there, a bear wanders up and sits on the other side of the table.

He looks at the bear and says "Touch that coffee and you're dead."

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 100-pound albino Burmese python is believed to be on the loose in the Meadow Lakes area.

“Alaska’s cold temperatures may weaken the snake or compel it to seek a warm place ” said Animal Care Director Kirsten Vesel.

Probably going to catch a ride and head to Florida where he'll feel right at home Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Meadow lakes is in Wasilla, not exactly northern Alaska.

I used to trout fish those lakes years ago.

Hopefully someone kills it before summer.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Snakes got balls? Big Grin

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It won't even make it until October, there used to be a really cool pet store in anchorage where idiots could buy exotic/deadly animals like this. I got my first lizard there as a kid

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I hope it freezes its' balls off up there.

A Burmese Python won't be happy outdoors in Anchorage in May, that's for sure. It ain't the Everglades.... Accuweather says it's low 50s for a high and high 30s for a low. Not a lot of that kind of weather in Burma.

When our snakes would get loose, they'd often be in the warmest places they could find. My guess is if they catch this big guy before summer, it will be in some heated outbuilding.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imagine going out to load wood into the furnace and grabbing onto that log.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It should be easy enough to find. It's wrapped around the dryer discharge vent at a laundromat.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
quote:

Alaska is 663,268 sq miles. Seems the odds are slim it'll be found.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post