SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Since we're doing car threads this week - Charger/Challenger opinions?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Since we're doing car threads this week - Charger/Challenger opinions? Login/Join 
Picture of Expert308
posted
Since last fall sometime I've been feeling like it's time for a change from the pickup that I've been driving for 20 years now. One that I'm looking hard at is a new `17 or lightly used `15-16 Dodge Charger or Challenger. Not sure about which engine I'd want, I need to test drive a couple different ones to figure that out.

I'd be interested in hearing any opinions or horror stories about either model. In particular: general reliability, electronics (how easy is the touchscreen system to use - the last and only vehicle I've driven that had one of those was a `13 or `14 Explorer, and it was a nightmare to figure out), comfort (I'm 5'11" and 240#), and whether you feel like the 3.6L V6 is "enough" engine.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Will follow with interest, I've been looking hard at the 2014 R/T Chargers as that's the last year I can get V8 and AWD.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I don't know why they don't offer AWD in the new R/T models. Not enough demand to justify it, I suppose. I talked to a dealer about the AWD in the `17, and decided against it. It knocks the fuel economy down a couple of points when it's active, and I would only really have use for it maybe a week or two out of the year around here. You can turn it off via one of the menus, but it will automatically turn itself back on under some conditions, so I'd be constantly telling it "No, dammit, I don't want it on now!". I don't know if the 2014 AWD is set up the same way or not.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
No V8 manual charger?

That's crap.

Just get the fastest one you can afford.

The 6th gen Camaro SS is a HOOT. Just throwin that out there...

Posts: 5129 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Nope. You can get a manual tranny in the V8 Challengers, but the new Chargers are all automatics. Which is ok for me, as I've got a pretty messed up left knee. Frown

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
V8 is iconic, but it's a want not a need the V6 is pushing north of 300 HP in both Camaro and Challenger/Charger, so if it's just wanting to have the car it's looks and not all the high insurance premiums or low gas mileage, or cool bad ass thumping exhaust and 500 hp, the V6 is good.

FYI the current V6 has more power than the 5.0 V8 Mustang GT of the late 90's and those were a hoot to drive...

Posts: 23385 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
No V8 manual charger?

That's crap.

Just get the fastest one you can afford.

The 6th gen Camaro SS is a HOOT. Just throwin that out there...

Yeah, if you're looking at Challenger then you kinda gotta look at Mustang and Camaro too. Wink I eliminated the Camaro pretty early on as I just really don't care for the styling of the new ones, and the trunk and back seat are really tiny. There are a gazillion Mustangs out there and besides I owned one once before - it was a great car, but I'm looking for something different this time. It's still on my short list, but mostly just because I've pretty much always been a Ford guy.

Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
I have a 2014 Challenger Rallye Redline, which is basically top trim SXT and some appearance upgrades, but addbthe R/T sport suspension. It is V6. I got it for my son, but occasionally we trade and I drive it.

Very reliable so far, no issues. The sport suspension is absolutely awesome, especially with the better tires I put on the car.
The engine is powerful "enough," however if I had it to do over I would get the v8. But I figure my 20 year old doesn't need 500 hp to race around in, just get himself in trouble. But if it were me, I would do the R/T or SRT8.

But really I like the new Mustang GT coming out and the Camaro, which have amazing suspensions of their own.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
A friends wife has a 16 Charger AWD with the V6 and they both love it. She drives it year round so the AWD more than pays for itself here in snowy E. Wash. They are the type that don't care about gas mileage so I can't say what they are getting.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
One word... DEMON

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the Challengers and would get whatever the lowest price would be on any V8 model with 485hp (probably the most usable HP, the Demon/Hellcat just smoke the tires). Then, I'd just add aftermarket anything I wanted that didn't come from the factory. I'd also go late-model used, or get a 375HP used 5.7 V8 and add a supercharger!

Oh well, just a dream, my car is a company sedan, family vehicle is a '16 F150 Super Crew.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LS1 GTO,

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rekstrom:
Very reliable so far, no issues. The sport suspension is absolutely awesome, especially with the better tires I put on the car.

What did you put on it? One of the optional tires, or aftermarket?

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The automatics are faster in the 1/4 mile.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
V8 is iconic, but it's a want not a need the V6 is pushing north of 300 HP in both Camaro and Challenger/Charger, so if it's just wanting to have the car it's looks and not all the high insurance premiums or low gas mileage, or cool bad ass thumping exhaust and 500 hp, the V6 is good.

That's pretty much what I'm looking for - something kinda sexy looking, but not necessarily with the real muscle. "Enough" power for me is enough to maintain 65MPH going up Cabbage Hill with a trunk full of camping gear and rifles. I'm not interested in racing. Cabbage is a ~10 mile long 6% grade over in eastern Oregon.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Big, big Charger fan here. I've owned one (2012) and been issued one (2016). The cars are awesome. I hear guys pop in to Dodge threads and tell horror stories about this or that, but it ain't my experience. I purchased a 2012 V6 new in 2012. The car was a little slower on top end than the V8, but it really would get up and go if you needed it to. If you drove it decent, it got really good gas mileage. One trip in Virginia, I got 31 MPG actual with the cruise set at about 75 MPH. I got rid of the car at 26k, and bought a new 4x4.

Last year, I was issued a 2016 police package Hemi AWD. The car has been awesome. Top speed on the track at driver's training is about 149. The AWD handles great in the snow, and will do as well as a truck without the ground clearance. If you drive it halfway decent on the interstate, it will get around 19 or 20 MPG. The harder you stay on it, the more it drinks gas. Around town, cop driving, I probably get 14 MPG. Out of all the cars and SUVs I have been issued over 21 years, the Charger is tops in pursuits. Nothing holds a candle to it. Not even the fabled LT1 Caprice of the mid 'nineties.

Dodge has really got it going on with the Charger. I will buy another V6 at some point for a travel car.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:

That's pretty much what I'm looking for - something kinda sexy looking, but not necessarily with the real muscle. "Enough" power for me is enough to maintain 65MPH going up Cabbage Hill with a trunk full of camping gear and rifles. I'm not interested in racing. Cabbage is a ~10 mile long 6% grade over in eastern Oregon.

The V6 in the eight speed will do you then. It is plenty.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago, I got to drive a 2015 Charger, manual, v-8 with the tweak that put it just over 500hp. Just got to drive a short straight road, but 90 is just no sweat to get there, quickly. One thing that impressed me most was the interior, the red catskin leather was probably the nicest I've sat on. I'd give up the monster engine if I had to, to get that interior.

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

FYI the current V6 has more power than the 5.0 V8 Mustang GT of the late 90's and those were a hoot to drive...

A lot of people overlook this fact and are hung up on V-8s. Who doesn't love a V-8? But at least look at the reality of the 6. It is a lot of power.

Then, to completely ignore that comment; my brother-in-law loves his Challenger. He has the one with the second most powerful V-8. It will, of course, go faster than you are allowed to drive and gets there real quick. A lot.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I would opt for a Charger R/T in graphite grey 7 days week Wink

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post