SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eating in the Fifties
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eating in the Fifties Login/Join 
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
We used to get Charles Chips. They were good.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dating myself:
Charles Chips.
Home delivered fresh eggs and milk by a Dunkard (not drunkard) dude.
Molers dairy.
Shoemake dairy.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Dating myself:

That wasn't acceptable in the 50's. Eek

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We hated peas, but our Mother loved them and insisted on including them with many meals. We could usually out-wait her by moving them around the plate, but my younger brother would always throw up when he did eat them. The solution we found was our table. It had tubular steel legs, with plastic caps on the ends. When she left the room, we shoved peas down those tubes like crazy. There were probably a few pounds of peas in the legs by the time we moved and had a different table.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Thanks for tickling my funny bone this morning Henry. That's hilarious! Big Grin

We'd try putting stuff in our pockets, but never thought of using the table legs.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
The worst thing about copy and past email forwards....
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
looks like an old usenet to me.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Dating myself
Is that what they're calling it now?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
Crisco was for baking pies.

As far as I knew, there was no such thing as cooking oil, my mother used Crisco for frying as well as baking...except for one thing, she called it “lard.” I don’t believe she ever used real lard, but she always called shortening “lard.” Unfortunately, she also never used real butter, but called margarine “butter.” That was one of the first things I remedied after leaving home.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
Crisco was for baking pies.

As far as I knew, there was no such thing as cooking oil, my mother used Crisco for frying as well as baking...except for one thing, she called it “lard.” I don’t believe she ever used real lard, but she always called shortening “lard.” Unfortunately, she also never used real butter, but called margarine “butter.” That was one of the first things I remedied after leaving home.

That was one unfortunate trend of the '50s - margarine and other prepared foods, and mixes. My mother-in-law was generally a good cook, but she came to the U.S. in the late '50s and learned to use margarine, jello, Kool-Whip and lots of other "fake" ingredients.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
My mother made 3-4 quarts of Carnation instant non-fat milk in re-purposed mayo jars every Sunday night for the upcoming week. I hated the stuff. Once I left for college I switched to whole or 2% and never looked back.

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stale white bread was crumbled and thrown to the birds in the back yard.

You rich folk.... at our house it became bread pudding. Or French Toast if we were being good. the birds got to eat worms.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
My mother made 3-4 quarts of Carnation instant non-fat milk in re-purposed mayo jars every Sunday night for the upcoming week. I hated the stuff. Once I left for college I switched to whole or 2% and never looked back.

Thanks very little for reminding me of that gag-fest. Worked okay right up until Mom set a glass of it in front of Dad. Came to a screeching halt right then and there.

It's odd, when I was a kid a tall glass or two of REAL milk was part of every meal.

Now I don't think I could gag down a glass of milk if I was dying of thirst. Okay on cereal and for cooking but to just pour and drink a glass of milk...bleah.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
My mother made 3-4 quarts of Carnation instant non-fat milk ....

My mother tried convincing us kids to drink that stuff to save a little money, and I wonder how many families are reduced to that sort of thing today.
She finally relented on that point when all of us objected strenuously because it didn’t taste like other milk, not even skim milk in the carton (that I still drink in large quantities).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:

Thanks very little for reminding me of that gag-fest. Worked okay right up until Mom set a glass of it in front of Dad. Came to a screeching halt right then and there.

It's odd, when I was a kid a tall glass or two of REAL milk was part of every meal.

Now I don't think I could gag down a glass of milk if I was dying of thirst. Okay on cereal and for cooking but to just pour and drink a glass of milk...bleah.

My mom used it sometimes, too. She was being frugal, but that stuff is nasty.

Like you, I couldn't drink a glass of milk now if I had too. Nasty cow squeezings.

Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

We hated peas, but our Mother loved them and insisted on including them with many meals. We could usually out-wait her by moving them around the plate, but my younger brother would always throw up when he did eat them. The solution we found was our table. It had tubular steel legs, with plastic caps on the ends. When she left the room, we shoved peas down those tubes like crazy. There were probably a few pounds of peas in the legs by the time we moved and had a different table.

Prince, my Labrador Retriever, saved me a number of times. He and I formed a symbiosis. Smile

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4870 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Swanson’s TV dinners on a TV tray in front of the tv - now THAT was special.

Let’s see, channel selection was 2,4,5,7 and maybe 13 in the NJ/NY metropolitan area. “Rabbit ears” were moved around to get a clearer picture. Sometimes an aluminum foil “flag” was attached for further improvement. Of course the TV was black and white. It was “portable” which meant it had a suitcase handle on top. I was the “remote control”.

Fish sticks were a favorite of mine too.

Howard Johnson’s and 28 flavors of ice cream...

Telephone color selection? Black and.... black.

If the family got a long distance phone call it was either good news (wedding,engagement, birth) or a death in the family.

No answering machines.

Huntley and Brinkley reported the news. Probably the last news I ever trusted. “Good night Chet...”

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:

I like milk, but drink 2% to keep from getting fat(ter). Several times a month I go to a local Waffle House for a waffle supper (with scrambled eggs and bacon or sausage)--I have a large glass of milk with that meal.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Danged peas were a vegetable, or fruit, or GKW plant, of dinner contention into the 1970s. My sister would gag on green peas and spit the peas out as a reflex action. For some reason this green pea repulsion was regarded by my father as something akin to a personal insult. My sister would be forced to sit at the dinner table for an hour after we finished to eat something like 10 green peas. No shit, we would be watching Wild Kingdom with a lion chewing the guts out of a gazelle but my sister was treated like an unlearned outlander for green pea aversion. Strangely, she now readily eats peas and the once hated brocolli.

She now refuses to force unliked food on her children and lives app 1,500 miles distance from our parents.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I love fresh peas, even as a child. I'd eat more of them right out of the pod than I put in the bucket.

But...mom canned them and we had to eat them canned all winter long.

Ever eaten canned peas? Awful! Bitter and mushy. Nasty.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post