SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eating in the Fifties
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eating in the Fifties Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted
Remember everyone of these statements..........Was the good 'ol days for sure.

>>>>> EATING IN THE FIFTIES

>>>>> Pasta had not been invented. It was macaroni or spaghetti.
>>>>> All chips were plain
>>>>> Tea was made in a teapot using tea leaves and it wasn't ever green.
>>>>> Chickens didn't have fingers in those days.
>>>>> None of us had ever heard of yogurt.
>>>>> Healthy food consisted of anything edible.
>>>>> Cooking outside was called camping.
>>>>> Seaweed was not a recognized food.
>>>>> Sugar enjoyed good press in those days, and was regarded as being white gold.
>>>>> Prunes were medicinal and stewed.
>>>>> Surprisingly Muesli was readily available. It was called cattle feed.
>>>>> Pineapples came in chunks or were round with a hole in the middle, in a tin; we had only ever seen a picture of a real one.
>>>>> Water came out of the tap. If someone had suggested bottling it and charging more than gasoline for it, they would have become a laughing stock.
>>>>> There were three things that we never ever had on/at our table in the fifties . . . elbows, hats and cell phones!
>>>>> . . . Oh, and there were always two choices for each meal,
>>>>> "Take it" or "Leave it"

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
>>>>> Cooking outside was called camping.

"Camping?" Confused Roll Eyes

(I think whoever wrote this was confused or misremembering. Old age will do that to you... Big Grin)

Grilling was not just reserved for camping in the 1950s. The 1950s were when the backyard grill and associated backyard parties first became super popular. The ubiquitous Weber Kettle was released in 1951, and by 1958, 1/3rd of American homes had a backyard grill.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, and there were always two choices for each meal, "Take it" or "Leave it"

Not at my Dad's table. Your choices were "Eat It" or "Sit there until you eat it or starve to death."

When I got married, I made an agreement with my wife. She will NEVER attempt to serve me liver from any animal, cauliflower, broccoli or parsnips no matter how well disguised with sauces, nor any boiled greens other than cabbage.

Furthermore, she is to avoid, whenever possible, cooking any of the above while I am in the house. The only exception to that is broccoli, which she loves.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15208 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t recall when I first saw a tea leaf, but it was after the 1950s. Before then tea was labeled “Lipton,” came in a bag because it was ground to the texture of river silt, and was why I didn’t like tea until I was exposed to good varieties much later. If it hadn’t been for the expression “Reading the tea leaves,” I wouldn’t have known tea had anything to do with leaves until after I left home in 1965.

And yes, we had grills that we cooked on outdoors during the late 1950s. As for seaweed, I’m pretty sure that the Japanese and other Asians didn’t wait until 1960 to discover that it was edible. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Potato chips came in a big metal tin. Utz comes to mind.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:

Not at my Dad's table. Your choices were "Eat It" or "Sit there until you eat it or starve to death."

When I got married, I made an agreement with my wife. She will NEVER attempt to serve me liver from any animal....

Maybe our Dads were brothers?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

When I got married, I made an agreement with my wife. She will NEVER attempt to serve me liver from any animal, cauliflower, broccoli or parsnips no matter how well disguised with sauces, nor any boiled greens other than cabbage.

Furthermore, she is to avoid, whenever possible, cooking any of the above while I am in the house. The only exception to that is broccoli, which she loves.

Liver is the worst.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Raised on a farm in the 40's and 50's there were very few scraps left after a meal, what was left went to our animals and our pet dogs or cats, egg shells banana peels, orange peels,and other such things were thrown into the garden for humus to loosen the soil and enrich it for planting.Not much was just thrown out like today.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tomatoes tasted like tomatoes.
Milk was delivered & had cream on the top.
Fresh fish was caught in a rented boat & brought home for mom to fry.
Watermelon was only available in season.
Plums were small, dark blue & were very sweet, not hard as a rock & sour from the grocery.
Bread was only white & sliced unless the Italian neighbor brought us some of her home baked bread.
Corn bread was crumbled into a glass of buttermilk with salt & pepper & eaten with a spoon.
Crisco was for baking pies.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Potato chips came in a big metal tin.

We had Charles Chips, delivered to the front door.

Stale white bread was crumbled and thrown to the birds in the back yard.
It wasn't croutons on salad.

Oh, and salad was lettuce and tomato wedges with Kraft French or Thousand Island dressing.

Oh, and Russian was Kraft salad dressing too, not collusion.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Seedless grapes did not exist. I love me some seedless grapes

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6008 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

https://www.birdseye.com/produ...p-TRwxhoC3y8QAvD_BwE

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6008 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
The worst thing about copy and past email forwards....
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Some of those things are better left in the '50s.

I'm glad we have yogurt and salt and vinegar potato chips. Fresh pineapple = delicious.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Potato chips came in a big metal tin. Utz comes to mind.

In Detroit, the big tin of chips was New Era (and they were GOOD!).

And in those parts of the country where I lived and visited, there were so few Asians that no one heard of seaweed or suchi; there were a few Chinese restaurants, but they only served "Americanized" versions of Chow Mein, Chop Suey, and a few other dishes. (I worked a year as an order taker/order packer for a Chinese Carry Out Kitchen in Detroit--Moy's Kitchen--when I was a teenager.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nope.

Nope, nope, nope.

Posts: 15208 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steyn:

Liver is the worst.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sometimes we had a third option: Having it for breakfast.

I did beat him at his game once though. I had a big blob of cottage cheese sitting on my plate that I refused to eat. I warned him that if I did, I'd throw up. Bedtime came and went and finally it was put in the fridge until the morning when I took my place at the table. Finally, I did eat some of it and promptly threw it back up. He gave in. I really wanted to say, "I told you so", but didn't have the balls to mouth off to him like that.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Steyn:

Liver is the worst.

It pays to read the whole thread Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post