SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    House Construction Fiasco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

House Construction Fiasco Login/Join 
posted
Signed a contract to build a house. At the time of picking everything out/before ground was broke, we asked about and got added to the contract, insulating the garage and insulated garage door and adding a pedestrian door in the garage.

I was out the day they were blocking and talked to the builder about why they weren't leaving an opening in the block. He said they'd cut it out later.

Then they frame the entire house. No header or opening for a door. Keep saying they're gonna do it.

Now that entire wall is sided. They did finally insulate the entire garage. Today the brick masons were starting on the wall doing the brick to cover up the block foundation. Still no sign of my door.

My agent is out of town but knows of the situation. If they chose not to put the door in, is he in breach of contract, and should I get all earnest moneys paid? I've already started looking at other houses.

Not sure what to do. I always said I'd never build another house and this is one reason why!

Posts: 258 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: February 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Is it in the plans?

If it's in the plans, he owes you a door, period. They can make a door now, it just would have been easier earlier.

If it's not in the plans, then someone else fucked up. Any way it's sliced, it's your home you get what you want.

This should be at no cost to you, particularly if it was in the plans.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sooooo you have one problem. I would say you are darn lucky.
When I had this house built, I made a list out about as long as the house contract.

I will not ruin your thread and get into all the problems I had, but it aged me considerably as well as cost me dearly.

Good luck with that problem. Hope it works out for you.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I will never, ever, have another house built. Good luck with your venture.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a way to issue a "stop order" until the door is framed ready for the rest of the work to proceed?

If they are putting in bricks, you'll never get it to look right if the door is added afterwards.

The only other thing is to sue for breach of contract - they might be able to stop work.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As previous posters have said, having a home built can be an ordeal. A good friend of mine had a home custom built and watching his experience learned me to never attempt it. He was able to prevail through his problems eventually by having excellent plans and overwhelming documentation. I believe he hired an architect to draw up his plans.
His problems were:
Contractors using untrained help.
Contactors showing up stoned.
Drinking and pot smoking on the job.
Poor quality materials being used in construction but being charged for premium material.
Roofers, plumbers, electricians failing to show up on the agreed upon days.
Permit problems caused by the main contractor.
When he started putting pressure on these people, they just started to not show up.
He got his house built, but what a struggle!
I hope you prevail with your contractor.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
What Arc sez.

Plans, Contract.

Speak up.

Lawyer.

Many people want to "be nice and liked".

Get past that, and get back to the contract and the plans.

Your not being an "asshole", your doing diligence with those you hired to do specified work for compensation.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
No door for me
No money for you

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Poor quality materials being used in construction but being charged for premium material.

When my parents built a home the general contractor & building supply colluded. Example; billed for 2x10's delivered 2x8's. When my parents went to an attorney they were told that the should forget it, as the small town District Attorney owned 50% of the building supply. They ended up firing the General Contractor & did the subcontracting themselves.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4264 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I've attempted to build two, succeeded with one. Never again.

Good Luck,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
We've had two homes built and never again. Both were unbelievable headaches (set back issues, basement windows in the wrong spot in the foundation, wrong tile, wrong color paint, wrong cabinets, wrong color shingles, eve vents installed upside down, you name it.

Posts: 1811 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Had one built and it wasn’t awful but as one of many in a new subdivision, it wasn’t that hard for them to put up the model we wanted.

There were some issues, like the house color was off but other than that it was ok.

That said, I avoid renovations / stuff like the plague.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry many on here have had negative experiences with building their homes.
As a contractor building high end custom homes for over 35 years I can suggest that you document everything. If, as you say, the specifications for the door are in the contract specifications and he is apparently refusing to do the work I would send him an email that you will be withholding future payment until the door is properly installed BEFORE the brick is layed in that area.
Feel free to email me offline if I can be of any further help.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, there are a lot of shitty contractors out there, and they get to work for all of their customers, once.

The work that I've been doing for years, in "high end" home construction, is of the type where we cultivate repeat clients, if not lifetime clients.

By doing good work, standing behind it, and getting them what they ask for.

If anyone were caught drinking or using drugs on our jobsites, they'd be fired on the spot. Subs included. None of that is worth tolerating, for insurance, but on the simple fact that reputation is difficult to build, but easy to destroy.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Better be careful. Interfering with the workers could get you liable to the contractor, the only party you have rights against.

The documentation is the key. If it is documented you’ll get the door. If not, it will be a change order, at best.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post