SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cuomo finally warms up to ban on plastic shopping bags after criticism from NYC pols
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cuomo finally warms up to ban on plastic shopping bags after criticism from NYC pols Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
quote:

ALBANY — Gov. Cuomo is open to banning the bags.

A day after Mayor de Blasio called for a ban on plastic shopping bags in New York, a spokesman for Cuomo revealed Monday that the governor is considering such a step.

“It’s clear that we need to address the real environmental concerns caused by the proliferation of plastic bags, and a ban is one of the options we’re reviewing,” Cuomo spokesman Rich Azzopardi said.

Azzopardi did not give a timetable for when the governor would make a decision on the issue.

Full story: Cuomo finally warms up to ban on plastic shopping bags after criticism from NYC pols

Man, they're really going for the leftist bingo card, aren't they? I think one of either Cuomo or de Blasio recently said something like "New York is more progressive than California." You mean the California businesses and productive citizens are abandoning in droves? The California that's deeply in debt? That California?

I don't know as that's anything to brag about.

As a side-note: Them doing that, were we living there, would have an unintended consequence: We purposely choose plastic, when we can, because we can re-use those for small trash bags. So, under Cuomo and de Blasio: We'd have to take paper and send it off for recycling, then buy plastic bags, separately, for our small trash bin needs, thus doubling our "bag" trash.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Politicians who answer to store owners. Wink

Here in CA the big push for banning the plastic bags were they were bad for the environment and they implied new $0.10 fee for a bag would be used for cleaning up said environment.

HAHAHAHA - they are still laughing at the stooped voters; nothing goes to cleaning up anything and the dime (less the $0.001 it costs to make the "new" bag) goes into the stores' coffers.

Makes you wonder how much the store owners are donating to the politicians. Wink

(Oh and there's the theory the Hep C virus going around is directly related to the homeless no longer have having a free bag to crap in.)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
NY is in the top three of states people are leaving. Industry left a long time ago.

My county enacted a 5¢ bag law this year. Same deal, money stays in the store.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
What the hell else are you going to use for shopping? Especially a city like NYC, with millions of tourists coming in and shopping, they aren't going to bring their own bags with them.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
NY pols are so far out of touch. Like shopping bags are a real issue? How about dealing with crime? Unemployment? Taxes? No, those issues require serious people with intellectual fiber..

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I remember the excuse for switching to plastic bags was to save the environment. Cutting down all those trees for paper bags was harming the environment.

Well, which statement is correct, liars?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen a few neat videos about recycling the bags yourself. Hammer heads appear popular.

Y’all like this one. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MZZCSjlJ-ts

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a former New Yorker I can say NY and CA are dueling banjos of leftist stupidity, they consistently try to out do each other its laws that should lead to total destruction except for tax payers and the feds bailing them out

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post